00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ArkihamVA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Thread: Video Game Rising

216,603 Views | 1,134 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-19 06:06:53

At 10/16/06 08:51 PM, Luis wrote: wtf do the detail pics actually add to your work.. i can see it just fine from the first pic you used.

Sorry if my detail shots offended you, cuz' they seemed to, but I actually put those closeups in because I thought the original picture was alittle fuzzy, and I wanted the shading to be noticed.

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-19 07:08:03

At 10/19/06 06:06 AM, Zaroff-Muldoon wrote:
At 10/16/06 08:51 PM, Luis wrote: wtf do the detail pics actually add to your work.. i can see it just fine from the first pic you used.
Sorry if my detail shots offended you, cuz' they seemed to, but I actually put those closeups in because I thought the original picture was alittle fuzzy, and I wanted the shading to be noticed.

Same here, but I got around multiple posts with a broken down detail shot that showcased different areas like a comic strip. Something to think about, maybe.

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-19 07:23:39

Well i've waited about a day and a half and my post still has not recieved a reply back from a mod for why it was was deleted(if it was?) and i see no broken rules in it contest or otherwise, so i consider it a fair entry so im going to repost my metal slug one, if it was a mistake then well problem solved here it is. If it was an intentional delete and this one gets deleted too could i get a reason/warning why?

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-19 08:40:55

jesus christ has it only been 19 days

seems like ages since i submitted anything to this

might jumble something together

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-19 11:09:23

LMFAO!!! You guys are hilarious with your computer styled 3D artwork. Why don'tcha check out my Rayman drawing on page 18! Old school, yo!

I laugh at your sigs!

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-19 11:14:47

At 10/17/06 08:08 PM, dcp2k4 wrote: Heres my third entry, Glover, id appreciate some comments/critques. Thanks!

Heh, wow I really like that, nice job :P

Like the way he popped the ball XD

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-19 19:45:08

no effin way i'll win, but here is my contribution to the competition

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-19 21:06:55

At 10/19/06 07:45 PM, FallenDoomMarine wrote: no effin way i'll win, but here is my contribution to the competition

You're a lot better than I was at the tender age of 13. Keep up the good work.

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-19 21:23:21

At 10/19/06 11:09 AM, deedeedee4 wrote: LMFAO!!! You guys are hilarious with your computer styled 3D artwork. Why don'tcha check out my Rayman drawing on page 18! Old school, yo!

Everyone already did.
And everone already insulted it because it looks like a 3 year old threw it together in 5 minutes with a crayon.
Stop fishing for comments, whore.

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-19 21:35:08

At 10/19/06 09:23 PM, ZekeyJr wrote:
At 10/19/06 11:09 AM, deedeedee4 wrote: LMFAO!!! You guys are hilarious with your computer styled 3D artwork. Why don'tcha check out my Rayman drawing on page 18! Old school, yo!
Everyone already did.
And everone already insulted it because it looks like a 3 year old threw it together in 5 minutes with a crayon.

dear god he ment that one

Christ, I know by writting this that im pandering to his attention whore(ism) but I really must say that my eyes will never be the same again after seeing that abomination, I have only just THIS MINUTE been able to remove the tooth picks which I jammed into my pupils to try and avoid seeing more of that hideous creation.

But hey it was different.

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-20 03:22:00

did i win?
..... O_o, .........
... ( |//\\| ) ..........
...... | | | ...........
......_||_

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-20 09:48:50

At 10/19/06 09:06 PM, Doodler wrote:
At 10/19/06 07:45 PM, FallenDoomMarine wrote: no effin way i'll win, but here is my contribution to the competition
You're a lot better than I was at the tender age of 13. Keep up the good work.

thank you :)
i feel appreciated now :)

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-20 13:51:29

At 10/20/06 11:18 AM, Gmagnum wrote: My first good art I've made in flash. If any of you have played the Castle Cat games, you know who this is...

c..CASTLE CAT?

WHAT

Tom and I have been working on something hmmm????

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-20 14:00:45

im suprised i havent seen a zombie zoidburg... that would be cool, there is a futurama game before you ask..

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-20 14:05:22

At 10/19/06 09:35 PM, Frogcloset wrote:
At 10/19/06 09:23 PM, ZekeyJr wrote:
Everyone already did.
dear god he ment that one

Christ, I know by writting this that im pandering to his attention whore(ism) but I really must say that my eyes will never be the same again after seeing that abomination, I have only just THIS MINUTE been able to remove the tooth picks which I jammed into my pupils to try and avoid seeing more of that hideous creation.

But hey it was different.

You guys are hilarious!!! Okay, listen. I said it before and I'll say it again. It wasn't crayons, it was COLORED PENCILS!!! Secondly, if you morons think you can do a better picture than that one on paper, no computers, than I shall tip my hat to you. But, I'll have you know that it took me 3 to 4 days to do that. I'm sure all the rest of you just spent 10 minutes on the computer pointing & clicking 'til it was just right! My artwork, on the other hand, is pure and original!!!! So, before you insult anything that may look primitive, think to yourselves: "Can I do better?"

I laugh at your sigs!

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-20 14:06:12

zombie... ish solid snake i threw together. i dont expect to win anything its just fun to participate.

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-20 14:08:50

At 10/20/06 02:05 PM, deedeedee4 wrote: Secondly, if you morons think you can do a better picture than that one on paper, no computers, than I shall tip my hat to you. So, before you insult anything that may look primitive, think to yourselves: "Can I do better?"

Do you really think you are better at drawing than some of the artists that have posted here? Have you not noticed the awesomely high standard of work? You're crazy if you think you are the best artist here.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-20 14:22:37

You cant realy pick out a best artist... everyone is using different styles

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-20 14:29:20

At 10/20/06 02:08 PM, TheHappySheep wrote:
Do you really think you are better at drawing than some of the artists that have posted here? Have you not noticed the awesomely high standard of work? You're crazy if you think you are the best artist here.

I never said I was the best artist here. All I'm saying is that these snobs who are all: "LOOK AT ME, MAN! I MADE THIS ON A SUPER HIGH-TECH COMPUTER!!! HEY, THAT GUY ONLY USED PAPER!! LOLZORZ!!! I'M SO GREAT I'M GONNA SHOVE MY HEAD UP MY ASS AND SNIFF MY OWN FARTS BECAUSE THEY SMELL REEEEEEAAAAAAAL GOOD!!!!" I'm just saying that these Newgrounds art contests need a little old school submissions, okey-dokey!? Also, these old school submissions should be respected, not shunned at! And as God as my witness, I'm gonna keep submitting old school artwork to Newgrounds, even if it kills me!!! You guysdon't have to like them, but at least respect them and give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, ya know? And maybe I won't win this one, or several after it, but I am known for being tenacious and I will not give up!!!

I laugh at your sigs!

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-20 15:03:09

At 10/20/06 02:29 PM, deedeedee4 wrote: I never said I was the best artist here. All I'm saying is that these snobs who are all: "LOOK AT ME, MAN! I MADE THIS ON A SUPER HIGH-TECH COMPUTER!!! HEY, THAT GUY ONLY USED PAPER!! LOLZORZ!!! I'M SO GREAT I'M GONNA SHOVE MY HEAD UP MY ASS AND SNIFF MY OWN FARTS BECAUSE THEY SMELL REEEEEEAAAAAAAL GOOD!!!!"

Remember me? I made this for this art contest. I also made this, this, this, this, this, and this.

So, no, some of us do have good drawing skills to back up our digital work, and some of us can understand that a drawing can have a lot of effort put into it as well. So, no, I don't believe that falling behind a 'OMG MINES NOT DIGITAL IM COOL' argument works.

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-20 15:20:19

At 10/20/06 01:51 PM, JohnnyUtah wrote:
At 10/20/06 11:18 AM, Gmagnum wrote: My first good art I've made in flash. If any of you have played the Castle Cat games, you know who this is...
c..CASTLE CAT?

WHAT

It's a picture of a zombified Castle Cat. Ain't rocket sciene Johnny...

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-20 15:36:23

At 10/20/06 03:03 PM, Steven-M wrote:
Remember me? I made this for this art contest. I also made this, this, this, this, this, and this.

So, no, some of us do have good drawing skills to back up our digital work, and some of us can understand that a drawing can have a lot of effort put into it as well. So, no, I don't believe that falling behind a 'OMG MINES NOT DIGITAL IM COOL' argument works.

Oh, yeeeaaaaa... LOOOOVE the color combo you had for most of 'em. What was it again? Black & White? How entirely innovative!!! I'll bet noone's thought of that before!! LOL

I laugh at your sigs!

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-20 15:42:46

At 10/20/06 03:36 PM, deedeedee4 wrote: Hey guys, you don't have the right to sneer at my work just because mine is different from yours! That's completely and utterly unfair because you should look beyond the media it's presented in! Also, this guy's work sucks because it's black and white.

Oh man, hypocrisy rocks. So since your point has been completely and utterly shattered, get the hell out of this thread, please.

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-20 15:55:31

At 10/20/06 02:29 PM, deedeedee4 wrote: And as God as my witness, I'm gonna keep submitting old school artwork to Newgrounds, even if it kills me!!! You guysdon't have to like them, but at least respect them and give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, ya know? And maybe I won't win this one, or any ever, but I am known for being tenacious and I will not give up!!!

People have no trouble with old school art, just bad art. Personally, I think the people who flamed you were a little OTT because however bad it was, I think you put effort in and deserve constructive criticism. Then again people get annoyed if you fish for comments from something submitted pages before. I think you come across as kinda arrogant tbh. You seem very proud of your work when it is really not great.

I'll actually critic it just to help you out even if you are being a bit of an arse.
With pencils, try and shade in one direction, it kinda looks messy and is harder to see with random directions on the background.
Maybe go over it afterwards with a thicker outline, again its hard to see exactly.
It's not very zombie-ish, add more gore.
The background is very plain, just black floor red wall, uninteresting.
Try and line your text up straight. I know you're working by hand but you can still make it straight.
His pose is quite unimaginative.
You have just coloured him in and havent added and kinda shading so there isnt any depth to the character at all.

Here is a Rayman Zombie I made. To keep it fair, I used pencils.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-20 16:43:02

deedeedee4 wrote:

You guys are hilarious!!! Okay, listen. I said it before and I'll say it again. It wasn't crayons, it was COLORED PENCILS!!! Secondly, if you morons think you can do a better picture than that one on paper, no computers, than I shall tip my hat to you. But, I'll have you know that it took me 3 to 4 days to do that. I'm sure all the rest of you just spent 10 minutes on the computer pointing & clicking 'til it was just right! My artwork, on the other hand, is pure and original!!!! So, before you insult anything that may look primitive, think to yourselves: "Can I do better?"

- although you shouldnt have gotten flamed as bad as you did for your piece sucking, i have no idea how you can say that people who draw with a computer are not as talented as you everyone on this forum who has submitted a quality piece (not you) can draw just as well, in most cases better on paper then on a computer i know i can, they choose doing it by computer for 3 reasons

1. they think done digitially it has a cleaner crisper outcome without visable strokes ect.
2. they dont have the materials to color or draw a quality piece on paper( no watercolor, color pencis, color pens ect)
3. they simply dont have a scanner or way to get it from paper to computer

the people who use wacom tablets invest in them not because there rich or spoiled (most of them have hardworking jobs and are adults) but because they saw they had the talent and determination to take art up as there career and figured although expensive a wacom tablet was a very smart investment that would easily pay, they can still use it for fun (which if your thinking i have one, i dont)

so basically what im saying is that it really makes zero sense to say that someone who has professional level skill on a computer would have the skill of a 8 year old(which is what your drawing looked like) on paper, if you know how to shade realistic values in on a computer chances are with atleast one mediem the artist has the knowledge and skill to reproduce it by hand, you have to know the fundamentals before you move up to the "technology"

your drawing wasnt great but it wasnt that horrible either, but it deffinately DOES NOT show the effort of 3 to 4 days, working on and off or otherwise

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-20 19:12:40

I did some Photoshop adjustments. Any comments on this or the other version? Which do you like more?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-20 20:00:47

At 10/20/06 02:05 PM, deedeedee4 wrote:

I don't know what the hell you're talking about. All I saw of your drawings in your posts was that .. rayman? character that seemed to have been colored by a 6 year-old kid.

you funny little trollman you

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-20 21:14:16

Okay, fine. If it makes you all happy, I'll admit my Rayman drawing was a bit..."sketchy" sorta. I am MUCH better at drawing characters that I have made up. And believe me, I made up a lot of them. Maybe in the next contest or so, I can show you one or two of them. It depends on what the topic is. But, still, MY RAYMAN DRAWING KICK ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

I laugh at your sigs!

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-20 21:17:36

At 10/20/06 03:36 PM, deedeedee4 wrote: Hey guys, you don't have the right to sneer at my work just because mine is different from yours! That's completely and utterly unfair because you should look beyond the media it's presented in! Also, this guy's work sucks because it's black and white.

Hey, wait! I didn't say that!

I laugh at your sigs!

Response to Art Thread: Video Game Rising 2006-10-20 23:28:29

heres another one, pacman yeah its kinda un-original but i thought id do mine in swift 3d so here ya go