00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryzmik just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,906,803 Views | 60,181 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 15:20:25

At 3/8/08 03:18 PM, Masterswordman wrote: Universe

This is an ongoing discussion which could last forever. I mean, there really isn't a true way to confirm these theories and we don't really know how to prove most of them. Personally, reality is already complicated enough as we currently perceive it.

As I said on a previous page - reality is a theory.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 15:26:16

At 3/8/08 03:18 PM, Masterswordman wrote: I mean, there really isn't a true way to confirm these theories and we don't really know how to prove most of them.

i cant make it any more clear that this "we cant prove it" comment i keep hearing is false. we can prove that the sun is the center of our solar system. it is the closest planetary body with such a large mass, and our forward momentum keeps us in orbit of it. we can prove that all of the universe is moving away from a single point in space. we can prove this with the properties of light.

how much clearer can this be?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 15:39:43

At 3/8/08 03:25 PM, BritishMoose wrote: Tommy LM is completely lampooning Rtil, right?

Or am I just an idiot?

Both.

Yeah, sprites are retarded, but I think the issue of sprite movies is starting to clear up a bit as of late.

:U

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 15:39:50

At 3/8/08 03:20 PM, UnknownFury wrote:
At 3/8/08 03:18 PM, Masterswordman wrote: Universe

This is an ongoing discussion which could last forever. I mean, there really isn't a true way to confirm these theories and we don't really know how to prove most of them. Personally, reality is already complicated enough as we currently perceive it.
As I said on a previous page - reality is a theory.

It's annoying how many people don't know the difference between the scientific and colloquial meanings of 'theory' :s

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 15:44:13

At 3/8/08 03:42 PM, hashbrown wrote: we should start having video game tournaments for the reg lounge. brawl sounds like fun, i dunno maybe a game night or something. we should be closer as a community and maybe the flash forum would be more fun

I liked when we used to play pictionary online, then those without consoles could join in the fun too.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 15:45:59

At 3/8/08 03:44 PM, BoMToons wrote: I liked when we used to play pictionary online, then those without consoles could join in the fun too.

You talking about Isketch? I liked that, though it was a bit of an unfair advantage for those with art skills.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 15:48:46

At 3/8/08 03:45 PM, Masterswordman wrote:
At 3/8/08 03:44 PM, BoMToons wrote: I liked when we used to play pictionary online, then those without consoles could join in the fun too.
You talking about Isketch? I liked that, though it was a bit of an unfair advantage for those with art skills.

Sounds like good fun :) Lets do it again sometime :D
You don't really need art skils to be good at iSketch. You have to have a creative mind and think how you can display those hard words. As long as you can draw to an extent of people being able to understand it.

At 3/8/08 03:39 PM, Paranoia wrote: It's annoying how many people don't know the difference between the scientific and colloquial meanings of 'theory' :s

My bad (looking at actual definitions). But you get what I mean ;)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 15:54:05

At 3/8/08 03:43 AM, ShortMonkey wrote: Coaly, as I seem ignorant to you, you seem ignorant to me. It's not like we're first class scientists here. :/

Come on, I know we aren't scientists but I wish we were both rational human beings at least.

I believe that there is an end to the universe and whether the earth is the center or not, the other planets revolve around earth.

I believe, that's a great way to start of your sentence, you may as well say, "I have no idea if this is true but I think that..."

We are both ignorant on this subject - how could we know the truth if even great scientists haven't fully proved anything yet either?

Ignorance, I wish you knew, is not just lack of knowledge, true ignorance is thinking you know some truth which is in fact not true. Like thinking the planets revolve around the earth...which was disproved hundreds of years ago.

At 3/8/08 02:40 PM, authorblues wrote: i can easily refute any statements you might have made.

love ya ;]

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 15:59:01

At 3/8/08 03:56 PM, mexifry895 wrote: Is it spam flash day? Cause look at the 50 newest submissions. It's all generally the same title. and all of them are crap.

A bunch of people think its funny to submit crap just for the release of Brawl. They've done stuff like this a couple times before.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 16:34:26

At 3/8/08 03:48 PM, UnknownFury wrote:
At 3/8/08 03:39 PM, Paranoia wrote: It's annoying how many people don't know the difference between the scientific and colloquial meanings of 'theory' :s
My bad (looking at actual definitions). But you get what I mean ;)

Yeah, I was making more of a general statement than one directed at you :) Seriously - anyone who doesn't know what the scientific definition of a 'theory' is should look it up. Here's what Wiki has to say:

In science, a theory is a mathematical or logical explanation, or a testable model of the manner of interaction of a set of natural phenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise falsified through empirical observation. It follows from this that for scientists "theory" and "fact" do not necessarily stand in opposition. For example, it is a fact that an apple dropped on earth has been observed to fall towards the centre of the planet, and the theories commonly used to describe and explain this behaviour are Newton's theory of universal gravitation (see also gravitation), and the theory of general relativity.
"Some scientific explanations are so well established that no new evidence is likely to alter them. The explanation becomes a scientific theory. In everyday language a theory means a hunch or speculation. Not so in science. In science, the word theory refers to a comprehensive explanation of an important feature of nature that is supported by many facts gathered over time. Theories also allow scientists to make predictions about as yet unobserved phenomena."

It's just really irritating - the nature of good science is such that it can be easily exploited by people who have a personal bias and little actual understanding.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 16:35:24

forum ad
Did any of you get an ad page before the forum page today ?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 16:50:32

I really don't see how sprite movies can be retarded. If someone draws their own sprites, then there is absolutely no difference between drawing in flash or drawing in paint, besides the way it looks.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 17:02:44

At 3/8/08 04:53 PM, mexifry895 wrote:
At 3/8/08 04:50 PM, AloneInTheDark wrote: I really don't see how sprite movies can be retarded. If someone draws their own sprites, then there is absolutely no difference between drawing in flash or drawing in paint, besides the way it looks.
but they don't draw their own sprites. They rip them off the internet and use them as their own, instead of making them themselves.

Yes most people do that. But there are exceptions. Rtil's sprite music video was pretty original and i think Luis is working on something spritish too. I agree with you that ripping off sprites isnt cool, but the method of making your own is great.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 17:24:38

RE: Forum Ad

At 3/8/08 04:35 PM, patu1 wrote:
Did any of you get an ad page before the forum page today ?

Yes, actually I have. I don't mind the ads on Newgrounds, but being forced to look at an ad 'while the page is being loaded/redirected whatever' is unacceptable in my book, it's the most annoying type of e-advertisement out there. What I also still don't understand is why Newgrounds apparently isn't making enough money to cut down on all the ads. You'd think a site this big and well-known should have other sources of income rather than hentai ads.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 17:32:30

New Computer

I'm really pleased with my new computer :)
I have a USB 4-Port hub
2DVD-RW drives
1000mb ram.
100gb space.
2.01 Ghz CPU speed (I think, from memory)
Nvidia geforce graphics card

Loving it :)
Vast improvement plus I still have my old computer for tests etc.

TV Is so stupid

I was watching a program on BBC Three called 'Most annoying pop moments' or something. Basically at number 34 they had 'The birth of Emo' and had My chemical romance.

1. My Chemical Romance are an awful band and are a disgrace to 'emo'.
2. The birth of emo happened way before MCR released black parade. If anything, emo is dead. What is left is wanna bes, such as MCR.

End Rant.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 17:41:07

At 3/8/08 05:24 PM, Xeptic wrote: Yes, actually I have. I don't mind the ads on Newgrounds, but being forced to look at an ad 'while the page is being loaded/redirected whatever' is unacceptable in my book, it's the most annoying type of e-advertisement out there. What I also still don't understand is why Newgrounds apparently isn't making enough money to cut down on all the ads. You'd think a site this big and well-known should have other sources of income rather than hentai ads.

I agree that these are are damn annoying, ive never had one on newgrounds though.

And yeah, site ads are annoying but how else would a website like this make money? Just because a website is big and popular doesnt mean that it can just spawn money from no where...The ads NEED to be there to keep the site running. Sure, there is the store but that couldnt make nearly enough money to keep a site this size running, especially since somewhere like Newgrounds much use ridiculous amounts of bandwidth. Probably only something stupid like 1 in 100,000 visitors would actually buy a shirt or something from the store.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 17:58:05

back from snowboarding

Anyone want to fill me in on anything important that has come up in the last week?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 18:07:38

At 3/8/08 06:03 PM, citricsquid wrote:
At 3/8/08 05:58 PM, dELtaluca wrote: back from snowboarding

Anyone want to fill me in on anything important that has come up in the last week?
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/5784 34/1000

^^

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 18:15:01

At 3/8/08 05:41 PM, J1mp wrote:
I agree that these are are damn annoying, ive never had one on newgrounds though.

Hm... Well yes, I'm starting to think it was just me, which I did at first. However, I saw someone on General complaining about it and when I saw Patu posted I thought that was just too big of a coincidence, so now I'm not sure anymore. The only thing I know is that I was already logged in and it happened when I tried to go to the BBS.

And yeah, site ads are annoying but how else would a website like this make money? Just because a website is big and popular doesnt mean that it can just spawn money from no where...

I know, I know... NG probably has some pretty high costs, but there are countless large webcompanies that get their main income from sources other than ads, although I don't know where from, maybe sponsorshipdeals or something like that. I also recall Tom saying they wanted to shift their focus from the ads to the store so they'd be able to be a bit more selective on what ads they place here. I don't know how realistic that is, like you said, there probably aren't that many people who buy NG merchandise, but I hope that works out.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 18:24:27

At 3/8/08 06:15 PM, Xeptic wrote: stuffs

yeah I think it would be great if they did manage to find some other way to make money off the site rather than ads. itll be interesting to see what they have up thier sleeves.

Can iPhone play flash? It would be cool if they offered downloads for something like that, id easily pay 50p or something for some of my favourite flash games. A lot of the stuff on newgrounds is way better than those shitty phone games you get, and that would also be another way for artists to get money from their work.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 18:32:07

At 3/8/08 06:24 PM, J1mp wrote:
Can iPhone play flash? It would be cool if they offered downloads for something like that, id easily pay 50p or something for some of my favourite flash games. A lot of the stuff on newgrounds is way better than those shitty phone games you get, and that would also be another way for artists to get money from their work.

Unfortunately not, it was supposedly going to be included with the 2.0 update in June, but Steve said 'no no'. So basically nobody knows when it's going to be included, if it's going to be supported at all. For me the lack of Flash support is the only thing that makes my iPhone not completely perfect. Flash is like oxygen really, you don't notice it's there, but when someone takes it away from you that's when you're going to start to appreciate it. When I'm surfing on with my iPhone It feels like all the interesting websites have at least some form of Flash incorporated into it, which makes them rather useless.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 19:37:18

At 3/8/08 07:23 PM, ShortMonkey wrote:
Also, a theory means what somethings thinks, not the absolute fact. :/

kthxbai

No a theory is a model based upon the observation of facts (observed/measured). A theory doesn't mean it's a "work in progress" it means its a interpretation of information, the idea of evolution and that the earth revolves around the sun aren't necessarily proveable, even if we observe the earth doing that who knows maybe it was a one time thing, that doesn't make them any less correct.

The earth DOES revolve around the sun, it's as questionable as whether or not I drop my computer out a window if it will fall.
Why do you think stars appear at different times of night and at different times in the year. This is honestly a little pathetic and incredibly ignorant.

I'm cool now... Right guys?... Guys?

Art Thread So I don't Lose It >:(

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 19:39:18

Universe

I post this in the name of Vengeance, who does not want to waste his 5k post arguing about something like this.

Gravity is not a theory, it is a fact. The fact is that each mass has a natural attaction to every other mass within its field. Heavier masses aren't pulled to lighter masses as much, but are still pulled. The fact is the sun weighs a LOT more than earth, so earth is pulled towards it. Seeming as the earth already has momentum, it revolves around the sun through centripetal force. There is no debate as to whether the sun revolves around the earth or the other way. Its fact. We see the sun as moving around us due to perception. Just like Newton's (I think it was Newton) train theory. From the platform the train looks like it's passing us, but from the train it looks like the platform is passing it.

Oh, and Shortmonkey, I think you should learn the difference between a hypothesis and a theory. A theory is based on a knowledge of the facts revolving the topic, a hypothesis is just a guess.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 19:40:16

At 3/8/08 07:23 PM, ShortMonkey wrote: Also, a theory means what somethings thinks, not the absolute fact. :/

kthxbai

Scroll up >.<

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 20:37:04

At 3/8/08 07:23 PM, ShortMonkey wrote: Didn't you read the first part of my post? I said:

ok pick the one thing that he said that is arguable and has nothing to do with the point

I actually like the theory of the earth moving around the sun, but I just don't think that's what happening.

You don't think that's what's happening...

And I'm not trying to make a point at all. I just wanted to hear what other people thought, not a debate.

You're damn right it's not a debate, it's just a public (internets public) display of your impressive stupidity. You must realize you're being a complete moron...and I beg you to stop, it murders my faith in the human race and it's amazing how people just keep topping the last unbelievable display of stupidity I was forced to believe.

I admit though, shortmonkey, this will definitely be hard to top...

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 20:55:01

At 3/8/08 08:10 PM, BritishMoose wrote: This is another of those agree to disagree topics, isn't it.

Ignorance is bliss!

it is

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 20:56:50

omgGGG ShortMonkey is stupid.

Get back to talking about the Flash Scene people, chop chop.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 22:19:00

At 3/8/08 08:56 PM, 50vmp wrote: Get back to talking about the Flash Scene people, chop chop.

Okay, as you wish master?

Softdick
I just watched Mr. Woodcock and you know...that's the most you can say about a movie like that I guess, but it's not really a great movie.

10:15....it's dark, lonely...and the blades are turning
I'm about to watch Saw IV with the lights off, and I'm basically alone. I know it's not the latest that it could be, but still, why not watch it now, while it's dark. Lets hope this movie's damn good...

Title Schmitle
Can we come up with better titles? I think we should try it for a while...make it interesting.

MY E-PENIS IS BIGGER THAN YOURS

8=================================>

...and this is my fag...

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 23:06:37

Crazy mullet-man Birthday party.
Being 18 is cool. Now not only am I an adult, but I'm a bad example for children now too. :3
Also, Army Of Two and Oil are awesome!

Love you all! <3

www.DuderEntertainment.com/ | Makin' Laughs and Kickin' Ass! >:3

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-03-08 23:40:45

Dealing with Reviewers

I don't generally care what most people say about anything I make, but when someone makes an incredibly ignorant, or just plain stupid remark it's hard to hold back from verbally spanking them. How do you guys deal with ignorant reviewers, I tend to ignore them, but are there any other ways of dealing with them?

BBS Signature