00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

htffan2000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,914,482 Views | 60,181 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-05-29 17:36:00

What do you guys think about integrated physics? Could it perform faster than nape or b2d enough to warrant doing?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-05-29 21:55:26

At 5/29/14 05:36 PM, MSGhero wrote: What do you guys think about integrated physics? Could it perform faster than nape or b2d enough to warrant doing?

Anything implemented in native code will be faster indefinitely. Would love to have a physics engine running under another thread. Just hope they implement an API similar to NAPE if they decide to design a 2d physics engine.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-05-30 20:48:20

At 5/29/14 09:55 PM, slugrail wrote: Anything implemented in native code will be faster indefinitely. Would love to have a physics engine running under another thread. Just hope they implement an API similar to NAPE if they decide to design a 2d physics engine.

Agreed. If the API is whack to the point that difficulty writing in it outweighs the performance difference, then I'd rather stick with NAPE for the majority of projects. Not to mention the Haxe availability of NAPE already.

Apache Flex
It's definitely a bad thing that I only just realised Adobe donated Flex to Apache

3 years late!

I've always installed my Flash alongside FlashDevelop so I've been using an old version of Flex for so long without much thought.

More Haxe
I also decided to implement a component-entity-system model, finally. Took me a total of 3 hours to get the very barebones, but there's still a lot of work to do between revision. @PSvils framework (clickyclicky) helped a lot, so a thanks is due. Can't wait to get back into programming as a hobby rather than for grades after my exams are over.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-05-30 21:31:17

At 5/30/14 08:48 PM, Sam wrote: I also decided to implement a component-entity-system model, finally. Took me a total of 3 hours to get the very barebones, but there's still a lot of work to do between revision. @PSvils framework (clickyclicky) helped a lot, so a thanks is due. Can't wait to get back into programming as a hobby rather than for grades after my exams are over.

Dude, change all of your code to hxE2 now, it's way better and more organized. After that, change it to hxE3. There's also IceEntity for flixel. There is a demo in the readme that made it a scripting engine sorta thing.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-05-31 07:34:06

At 5/30/14 09:31 PM, MSGhero wrote: Dude, change all of your code to hxE2 now, it's way better and more organized. After that, change it to hxE3.

Links pls.

There's also IceEntity for flixel. There is a demo in the readme that made it a scripting engine sorta thing.

This looks interesting, the live loading looks useful.

I had fun putting it together though, surprised how straight forward it was for just the very basics. After looking at the Ash framework, it made it seem a lot more daunting than it was.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-05-31 17:40:48

At 5/31/14 07:34 AM, Sam wrote: This looks interesting, the live loading looks useful.

I had fun putting it together though, surprised how straight forward it was for just the very basics. After looking at the Ash framework, it made it seem a lot more daunting than it was.

flixel-ui has live reloading of the xml file which defines your UI layout, and openfl itself in v2.0.0 supports file reloading, for desktop export only ofc.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-02 09:32:36

At 5/31/14 09:58 AM, PSvils wrote: There aren't any public links yet. hxE3 he made up, but hxE2 should be my mothership of entity systems...

Have you got a release date estimate? Would love to check it out.

At 5/31/14 05:40 PM, MSGhero wrote: flixel-ui has live reloading of the xml file which defines your UI layout, and openfl itself in v2.0.0 supports file reloading, for desktop export only ofc.

More reason to actually write something in Flixel. I gave it a quick go the other day using some spritesheets I had, but the player was split up into his legs, torso, arms and head as they all move (rotate, specifically) independently so I had to use a FlxGroup with FlxSprite's objects for each part.

Even though it was a fair few lines of code to setup all the positions of the sprites, in comparison to what I had before, it's at least a 30% decrease in lines. My housemate essentially built a platformer with multiple characters, controller support and a few other nice features in 400~ lines, which is crazy.

exams suck

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-02 17:48:37

I think we talked about hackers in Hollywood before (I remember diki or matt saying the ncis scene was the worst ever). This was a pretty funny review of those. One of the clips is actually from another parody video but I can't find a link to it.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-02 21:03:59

No more of [self.propagator thisCrap:@selector(noInlineCallbacksWithoutUnreadableCode)];

Bring on Swift!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-02 21:15:07

At 6/2/14 09:03 PM, slugrail wrote: No more of [self.propagator thisCrap:@selector(noInlineCallbacksWithoutUnreadableCode)];

Bring on Swift!

Bring on Swift Haxe target!

Never used O-C so idk your pain, all I know is you can assign variables to a cow emoticon in swift

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-02 21:26:10

At 6/2/14 09:15 PM, MSGhero wrote: Bring on Swift Haxe target!

Exciting time for programmers, can't wait to see what these new semi-scripting languages bring to the innovations table!

you can assign variables to a cow emoticon in swift

LOLWUT, that's awesome

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-03 20:33:10

How do you test something like hello world on an iphone? I saw the links to apple's dev center, but I don't want to shell out $100 and end up not wanting to dev on mobile. Are there any recommended emulators?

I'm on windows, so if the answer is "Get a Mac" then that's dumb.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-03 21:46:49

At 6/3/14 08:33 PM, MSGhero wrote: I'm on windows, so if the answer is "Get a Mac" then that's dumb.

Wanna develop for iDevices?
Get a Mac.

-.-'

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-03 21:55:13

At 6/3/14 09:46 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 6/3/14 08:33 PM, MSGhero wrote: I'm on windows, so if the answer is "Get a Mac" then that's dumb.
Wanna develop for iDevices?
Get a Mac.

-.-'

I mean with openfl I can dev for ios, but I can't legally test my app if that's the case >.>

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-03 23:18:17

Before the appstore revolution (2007-2008) the only way we could develop for iOS was through a text editor and an incomplete and UNOFFICIAL Linux toolchain for 'iPhone OS 1.1.4'. The first appstore for iOS ever was called 'Installer' and required a jail broken device. Now you're forced to use an underpowered mac, xcode (heavy, extremely shit despite all the work that has gone into it) and pay that $99.

If you want to publish to ios with openfl you'll still need to shell out $99 p/year for a Dev license w/ apple. Only then can you get your required 'app provisioning profile' and accompanying signed certificate to use with openfl, air, unity, udk, xcode, etc.

/Typingonphone

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-04 00:00:13

At 6/3/14 11:18 PM, slugrail wrote: If you want to publish to ios with openfl you'll still need to shell out $99 p/year for a Dev license w/ apple. Only then can you get your required 'app provisioning profile' and accompanying signed certificate to use with openfl, air, unity, udk, xcode, etc.

/Typingonphone

Dear Publisher:

With the press of a button I can make an untested iOS game, but I am neither an Apple Developer nor a Mac owner. I cannot test the game until both of these are true. Help a brother out?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-04 01:18:23

At 6/4/14 12:00 AM, MSGhero wrote: Dear Publisher:

With the press of a button I can make an untested iOS game, but I am neither an Apple Developer nor a Mac owner. I cannot test the game until both of these are true. Help a brother out?

Not sure if OpenFL relies on Adobe AIR for iOS publishing but if it does then it'll create an IPA file that you can use to install on your device. BUT 1) you'll need an authentic provisioning profile and 2) you need a valid (signed & certified by Apple's dev servers) certificate for it to install on your iOS device. If OpenFL DOESN'T rely on Adobe AIR for publishing to iOS then chances are it'll just spew an XCode project that you'll need to manually compile on a Mac.

So:

1) if it packages the app into an IPA file on a Windows machine like Adobe's AIR does, then you can simply install it on your device through iTunes. But...

2) if it outputs an Xcode project file, you'll need a Mac to compile and create a packaged IPA file.

In both cases, you NEED a provisioning profile and authentic dev certificates. With one exception, with number 2 (XCode), there are ways to create an unsigned IPA file that can be installed only on a jailbroken device.

So... it's possible to test on your device without a Dev account but you'll need to have a jailbroken device and an IPA Installer (such as the one I've developed, conveniently and generically called 'IPA Installer', available on Cydia - free advertising!) as well as an on-device tweak that removes Apple's 'FairPlay' DRM (called 'AppSync' and commonly used to install pirated apps; developer-piracy paradox?).

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-04 09:03:43

At 6/4/14 01:18 AM, slugrail wrote: stuff

The lockscreen stuff in ios7 made me not care about a jailbreak (though I miss shift+delete to delete a word). I used appsync but then stopped and removed those games once I started devving. Ironic that I could use it now.

Looked it up and yeah need a Mac. That's cool, no ios version of anything I make.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-07 01:13:28

At 6/4/14 09:03 AM, MSGhero wrote: Looked it up and yeah need a Mac. That's cool, no ios version of anything I make.

Now that I think about it, html5 games can run on mobile. I haven't tried it yet, but I could test resolutions there since that's my biggest concern... WebGL in ios8 makes that more interesting.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-09 08:49:52

At 6/3/14 08:33 PM, MSGhero wrote: How do you test something like hello world on an iphone? I saw the links to apple's dev center, but I don't want to shell out $100 and end up not wanting to dev on mobile. Are there any recommended emulators?

I'm on windows, so if the answer is "Get a Mac" then that's dumb.

The $100 isn't avoidable. Using windows to dev on is fine (I use it)

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-11 23:55:19

Haxe will target swift soon #worldDomination

Anyone participating in the Power of 3/4 jam? Once I get a team together, I'll be blogging about it fairly frequently.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-14 10:11:34

At 6/11/14 11:55 PM, MSGhero wrote: Haxe will target swift soon #worldDomination

Anyone participating in the Power of 3/4 jam? Once I get a team together, I'll be blogging about it fairly frequently.

I'll probably participate. I want to submit it from an alt tho. Maybe with a totally different name or uncredited. I've been feeling intrigued to make stuff without the stigma of my old fanbase. Start fresh / new.

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-16 01:36:15

Me, January 2013:
"I know! I'll learn Unity and make a simple game in a couple months and not go crazy overboard in scope and shaders and graphics tech like I did for closure"

Me, 18 months later:
"Oh sweet I only need to write 3 shaders and add 2 renderpasses for this effect"
http://gfycat.com/TameOblongGuineapig

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-19 14:59:38

new version of FD.
Well, that's new

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-19 20:15:21

At 6/19/14 02:59 PM, egg82 wrote: new version of FD.
Well, that's new

I wish you drew a red arrow so I knew what to react to. Only thing I find interesting is FP14.

So HaxeFlixel doesn't have pre/postUpdate. I'm not surprised, they weren't useful. but was was useful was overriding states and display groups to perform the following psuedo code:

for each(member in members) member.preUpdate();
for each(member in members) member.update();
for each(member in members) member.postUpdate();

rather than the default:

for each(member in members) {
	member.preUpdate();
	member.update();
	member.postUpdate();
}

it was nice not having to worry about update order. I can still do this in my current project, which is a port of an old as3 flixel project that depended on this for collisions.

Anywho... Anyone know a good Json Serializer. While this this gets the job done, it's not what I was Hoping for.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-19 21:14:02

At 6/19/14 08:15 PM, GeoKureli wrote: Anywho... Anyone know a good Json Serializer. While this this gets the job done, it's not what I was Hoping for.

Curious as to what more you could need from a JSON serialiser. What are you hoping for exactly?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-20 00:12:08

At 6/19/14 09:14 PM, slugrail wrote:
At 6/19/14 08:15 PM, GeoKureli wrote: Anywho... Anyone know a good Json Serializer. While this this gets the job done, it's not what I was Hoping for.
Curious as to what more you could need from a JSON serialiser. What are you hoping for exactly?

As3's xml serializer is way better. And XNA had typed object serialization, as in custom classes. I was expecting what I got, but I've got got some work to do, in order to get what I want.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-20 00:26:02

At 6/20/14 12:12 AM, GeoKureli wrote: As3's xml serializer is way better. And XNA had typed object serialization, as in custom classes. I was expecting what I got, but I've got got some work to do, in order to get what I want.

Haxe has IExternalizable which is what I use in as3. You get a bytearray out of using that which isn't helpful if you're looking to make a readable serialized file. Git search, DSON (doge serialized object notation) looks as promising as it sounds.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-20 00:39:19

At 6/20/14 12:26 AM, MSGhero wrote: Haxe has IExternalizable which is what I use in as3.

I'm avoiding all platform specific libraries, but that looks similar to XNA's ISerializable.

Git search, DSON (doge serialized object notation) looks as promising as it sounds.

that's... adorable

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2014-06-20 08:32:11

At 6/20/14 12:26 AM, MSGhero wrote: Git search, DSON (doge serialized object notation) looks as promising as it sounds.

If ever you wanted the usefulness of JSON but without all that pesky readability and approachability:

such "foo" is "bar". "doge" is "shibe" wow
such "foo" is such "shiba" is "inu", "doge" is yes wow wow
such "foo" is so "bar" also "baz" and "fizzbuzz" many wow
such "foo" is 42, "bar" is 42very3 wow

"wow" indeed.