00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

emoloser21 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,914,413 Views | 60,181 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-05 14:51:06

At 5/5/10 02:23 PM, BoMToons wrote: as3 question: I heard a rumor that as3 has a fullscreen mode that is lag free. Any of you know how it works?

Just the normal

stage.stageDisplayMode = StageDisplayMode.FULLSCREEN

if I remember rightly.

It runs faster because flash is then running as an external application outside the browser so more system resources are allocated to it. Something like that.

I may be wrong.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."

- Oscar Wilde

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-05 15:19:59

At 5/5/10 02:23 PM, BoMToons wrote: as3 question: I heard a rumor that as3 has a fullscreen mode that is lag free. Any of you know how it works?

you have to set stage.fullscreensourcerect to the size of your stage, then in full screen flash renders it at normal size and upscales it on the GPU to match your screen.

for normal apps fullscreen always runs faster than windowed apps since the OS doesnt have to render anything else besides the full screen app.

see: tetraform for an example of that. I actually up the quality one level when you go fullscreen cause of the performance boost it gets

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-05 15:45:58

Glaiel i respect you and want to hear what you have to say, but first here's my first game

I wouldn't say its anything original or exciting though, it was purely made for the lols :P

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-05 15:53:30

Nice job on releasing your first game! Might I be so rude as to inquire how much you got paid for it in the end? PM is also fine.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-05 16:19:43

At 5/5/10 03:53 PM, Xeptic wrote: Nice job on releasing your first game! Might I be so rude as to inquire how much you got paid for it in the end? PM is also fine.

Bubblebox paid 4K + CPMstar

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-05 16:30:20

At 5/5/10 04:27 PM, citricsquid wrote:
At 5/5/10 04:19 PM, JordanD wrote:
At 5/5/10 03:53 PM, Xeptic wrote: Nice job on releasing your first game! Might I be so rude as to inquire how much you got paid for it in the end? PM is also fine.
Bubblebox paid 4K + CPMstar
wow, nice.

Yeah we really lucked out

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-05 16:34:51

That's a nice sum indeed, congrats

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-05 16:39:09

just letting you all know

indiecade submissions close on the 1st of june so if you made an interesting game within the past year or so you should submit it, it's quite a fun festival
http://www.indiecade.com/index.php?/blog /entries/indiecade-2010-submissions-now-
open/

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-05 17:25:57

I did this for my art exam final piece ;)

Studied Dan Paladin as an artist and had to create his characters from a starting point - which was masks.

Thought it would be nice to shareeeeee

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-05 17:30:43

At 5/5/10 04:19 PM, JordanD wrote: Bubblebox paid 4K + CPMstar

Holy shit, 4K for that? It was a nice game, but I didn't realize such a simple game could make so much.

Wow.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-05 18:10:29

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-05 18:34:58

At 5/5/10 06:10 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, HERE WE COME!
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, HERE WE COME!

lol, I was totally going to make a "inb4 kirk goes all 'WOOOOO CL'" post, but I couldn't be bothered to look up an english article on it :)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-05 18:44:26

At 5/5/10 05:30 PM, Archon68 wrote:
At 5/5/10 04:19 PM, JordanD wrote: Bubblebox paid 4K + CPMstar
Holy shit, 4K for that? It was a nice game, but I didn't realize such a simple game could make so much.

Wow.

The most I've ever made off of a game was string avoider, I think it was 2k + 1.2k to let yahoo games use it. This was like 5 years ago, I should have probably realized what a good business the flash game industry was and pumped out mass shitty games like glaiel (no offense though at least he's rich)

wtfbbqhax

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-05 18:49:54

At 5/5/10 06:44 PM, fwe wrote: pumped out mass shitty games like glaiel (no offense though at least he's rich)

my bank accounts value is in 3 digits right now, yup, very rich

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-05 19:28:33

At 5/5/10 06:34 PM, knugen wrote: lol, I was totally going to make a "inb4 kirk goes all 'WOOOOO CL'" post, but I couldn't be bothered to look up an english article on it :)

Haha, you'll have to make a "inb4 kirk goes FUCK THIS SHIT" post when we don't make it past the qualifying round. =P

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-05 19:51:20

At 5/5/10 06:49 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: my bank accounts value is in 3 digits right now, yup, very rich

Weren't you going full time indie dev? Better make some quick cash then ^^

At 5/5/10 07:28 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: Haha, you'll have to make a "inb4 kirk goes FUCK THIS SHIT" post when we don't make it past the qualifying round. =P

I will make sure to have one at the ready when it happens :)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-05 20:06:31

My Art

Plugged. Thank you, and good night :)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-05 20:45:42

Wow, I'm glad I know how worthwhile sponsorships can be. I knew they paid well before, but not that well.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-05 20:57:45

yes the:
stage.fullScreenSourceRect = new Rectangle(0,0,640,635);

Works really well (way faster than standard fullscreening), but there are some weird issue with keypresses and crap that make it kind of impractical for lots of games.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-05 21:06:10

At 5/5/10 08:57 PM, BoMToons wrote: yes the:
stage.fullScreenSourceRect = new Rectangle(0,0,640,635);

Works really well (way faster than standard fullscreening), but there are some weird issue with keypresses and crap that make it kind of impractical for lots of games.

ya you can't use any keys in flash 9, in flash 10 you can use stuff like tab and shift but not alphanumeric keys.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 04:07:33

At 5/5/10 06:44 PM, fwe wrote: I should have probably realized what a good business the flash game industry was and pumped out mass shitty games like glaiel (no offense though at least he's rich)

Very unfair comment I would say, Glaiel has never come in here bragging about money and im pretty sure a lot more thought goes into his games than a lot of the other devs here, myself included.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 04:29:08

At 5/5/10 08:45 PM, Archon68 wrote: Wow, I'm glad I know how worthwhile sponsorships can be. I knew they paid well before, but not that well.

That christmas arcade game you made could have easily gotten $2K+. Simple flash games earn way big. Ironically, a large, epic game with tons of features and cutscenes and all that jazz, may not earn much at all.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 05:21:59

At 5/6/10 04:29 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: That christmas arcade game you made could have easily gotten $2K+. Simple flash games earn way big. Ironically, a large, epic game with tons of features and cutscenes and all that jazz, may not earn much at all.

And that's what I hate. Big games can earn alot more than a simple game, but from what I know, the extra effort you need to put in isn't worth the extra money.

That is if your talking about purely money.

Big games are fun so make ;) Even though I've never finished of mine.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 06:15:09

At 5/6/10 05:21 AM, Sam wrote: And that's what I hate. Big games can earn alot more than a simple game, but from what I know, the extra effort you need to put in isn't worth the extra money.

Yeah this is what I have quickly come to realize in the past year or so. To make money, all a Flash game really needs is some kind of unique gameplay element, some appealing design and to be delivered at a fairly high standard. Its kind of a sad fact, but sponsors really don't seem to care about deep gameplay, high levels of polish, and those extra finishing touches that take time but really make a game shine.

If you are trying to make a living out of it the key is to balance yourself - do some quick games that you know will make some easy money, and use that extra cash to allow yourself to spend longer on the big projects that YOU really want to make.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 06:21:41

Hahah, looking at the size of the my physics engine over time increase from the last month of my dumps into newgrounds.

30th march : compiled engine is 43.3kb
05th may : compiled engine is now 70.7kb

Giant Pyramid Demo

Project Page (logo by douche *cough* jordan)

In other news, i have an exam in two hours and havn't really revised it at all since doing the module 5 months ago, hmmm

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 07:36:27

At 5/6/10 06:15 AM, Jimp wrote: Yeah this is what I have quickly come to realize in the past year or so. To make money, all a Flash game really needs is some kind of unique gameplay element, some appealing design and to be delivered at a fairly high standard. Its kind of a sad fact, but sponsors really don't seem to care about deep gameplay, high levels of polish, and those extra finishing touches that take time but really make a game shine.

Duh. You don't make money selling to people who are only visiting one web page - you're limited by the adverts you can sell that way! You ideally want games that take up thirty seconds of someone's attention before they click to navigate to a similar game on your website, allowing for more adverts to be viewed.

Any game that takes more than five minutes to play is a waste for sponsors - repeat views and unique attractions are one thing, but no sponsor is ever going to sponsor, oh, I dunno a well done 4X game for more money than a bejeweled clone just because it's a deeper game - there'd be limited appeal, limited pageviews, and it'd cannibalise the other stable of games for people that visit the site.

Fortunately, on the same token, less sponsors will sponsor recycled trash, since no one wants to visit a site with a billion copies of tic-tac-toe. Sponsors also know there's a chance that the game's going to be featured on a big name blog site like Kotaku or IndieGames if it's an actual diamond of a game and the artist has done the leg work of getting a gaggle of people to promote it for them, so might pay out a little extra for exclusivity.

In practice for every other game however, returns on investment really do look like a bell curve of time against cash.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 12:58:13

At 5/6/10 05:21 AM, Sam wrote:
At 5/6/10 04:29 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: That christmas arcade game you made could have easily gotten $2K+. Simple flash games earn way big. Ironically, a large, epic game with tons of features and cutscenes and all that jazz, may not earn much at all.
And that's what I hate. Big games can earn alot more than a simple game, but from what I know, the extra effort you need to put in isn't worth the extra money.

That is if your talking about purely money.

Big games are like big movies to me...takes FOREVER to finish, but i expect the finished result to be way more satisfying...THOUGH i've never finished a big game so I don't entirely know...

Started the animatic for Exile5 yesterday...2 hours later i wanted to blow my brains out :P

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 13:42:21

At 5/6/10 06:21 AM, dELtaluca wrote: In other news, i have an exam in two hours and havn't really revised it at all since doing the module 5 months ago, hmmm

What module, further maths i'm guessing?

That physics engine seems good, i noticed a few glitches but, for so many rigid bodies, it's expected. It's also way too fun to take 1 block out of the bottom and watch the tower slowly creak and fall.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 13:47:01

At 5/6/10 06:21 AM, dELtaluca wrote: Hahah, looking at the size of the my physics engine over time increase from the last month of my dumps into newgrounds.

Looking good :) What's the story behind the name?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-05-06 14:00:17

At 5/6/10 01:47 PM, knugen wrote:
At 5/6/10 06:21 AM, dELtaluca wrote: Hahah, looking at the size of the my physics engine over time increase from the last month of my dumps into newgrounds.
Looking good :) What's the story behind the name?

not another physics engine

nape's a physics engine

not APE physics engine

something like that i believe