00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

AlsoTlant just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,915,037 Views | 60,171 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-25 20:58:19

Shut the fuck up about the religion now please?

I recently started playing Castle Crashers again
And I'm addicted again :( It's so fucking good.

How good would you say Tom is at programming? I'm just wondering because I'm not exactly... programming.. savvy.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-25 21:03:38

At 4/25/10 08:58 PM, Sam wrote: How good would you say Tom is at programming? I'm just wondering because I'm not exactly... programming.. savvy.

He is a pretty good programmer. It's a shame he's still using AS2 though. I guess as long as it works for him, it's fine.

I don't respect him for his programming skills, however, but rather for his accomplishments.

Also, where the fuck is Castle Crashers for PS3?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-25 21:05:50

Did Tom program Castle Crashers single handedly?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-25 21:12:47

He may not be some know it all guru but I would imagine he's pretty damn good. I don't know anything about Flash 3 but reading ''Flash 3 didn't offer much in terms of programming - it didn't even support variables.'' sorta scares me! To produce work arounds to pico's school back in the day shows some pretty good thinking I would say!
Looking at the time frame most of his games were created in as well - he know show to produce the goods. Thats something most programmers can't do, stuff gets worked on for years and never finished.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-25 21:51:10

At 4/25/10 09:07 PM, ImpendingRiot wrote: Well just don't equate programming skills with fun game skills, that's where I think Tom has the edge on "hardcore" coders. He knows how to make fun game play and game elements.

I can't think of a single tom fulp game I didn't find extremely fun and addicting. And he made a bagillion of them in '02

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-25 21:55:30

as3 is ass backwards anyways- i wish i didnt HAVE to learn in for school.

Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-25 22:00:37

At 4/25/10 09:55 PM, RedHarvest wrote: as3 is ass backwards anyways- i wish i didnt HAVE to learn in for school.

ass backwards from an ass backwards language (AS2) is ass forwards to me

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-25 22:04:15

At 4/25/10 10:00 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 4/25/10 09:55 PM, RedHarvest wrote: as3 is ass backwards anyways- i wish i didnt HAVE to learn in for school.

so does that mean tits?

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-25 22:12:27

At 4/25/10 10:04 PM, Starogre wrote:
At 4/25/10 10:00 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
so does that mean tits?

technically it's ass squared forwards, so it's spongebob

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-26 03:00:15

At 4/25/10 06:20 PM, Archon68 wrote: Stuff.

Why medicine though? Seriously what's the point? Morally right?

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."

- Oscar Wilde

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-26 10:48:38

At 4/25/10 08:43 PM, GustTheASGuy wrote:
As for atheism, you should be careful to not let the word come to mean "dipshit indulging in the religion of arguing with other religious people".
It has meant that for a long time.

Can we maybe, move on from the religious debate?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-26 11:11:54

I think mike's the programming whiz around here.

But as said above, it's not all about programming skills. In the larger scale, game design is much more important for a game to succeed.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-26 12:05:17

At 4/26/10 10:48 AM, Sam wrote: Can we maybe, move on from the religious debate?

But I had several long, thought out responses.
Responses to Archon68's open challenge, citricsquid and crushy. Now you've made me feel bad so I can't type them out.

Oh well, I don't have the time at the moment anyway.

Doomsday-One, working on stuff better than preloaders. Marginally.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-26 12:24:57

At 4/26/10 12:05 PM, HDXmike wrote:
At 4/25/10 08:58 PM, Sam wrote: How good would you say Tom is at programming?
I think the question was quite clearly directed at only his programming skills not his game designing. If that had been the case then of course there are much fewer people i know that could best him.

Not to mention juggling a family and owning two businesses!

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-26 14:44:54

you do all realize that there's multiple different subskills within programming right?

graphics programming, physics programming, technical programming, gameplay programming, engine programming, user interface programming, architecture, math programming, etc

boiled programming, fried programming, programming and taters, coconut programming,...

Not to mention that expertise in flash and expertise in c++ are different and expertise in basic or python or php or whatever

I'm not nearly as good as Delta when it comes to physics or math programming (catching up on the math part at least), but I can trump him in other categories. So which one of us is the better programmer? Apples to oranges.

Similar questions to this would be:
who's the better musician: paul mccartney or ludwig von beethoven
who's the better athlete: michael phelps or shaun white
what's the better device: xbox or a refrigerator
what's healthier: exercising or eating healthy
what's the better question: the above 4 or this one

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-26 14:54:41

Let me also say that Tom knows his skillset very well, that is super important. He's surrounded himself with people who fill in the gaps for him. That's why mike and goldfish and james work at newgrounds, that's what the rest of the behemoth you don't hear about as much is for. That's a different skill entirely too. A lot of programmers think they can do everything. Good ones recognize their weakpoints, and either seek to improve that or find help.

Can be hard to do. Was a bit tough to tear my own physics out of closure and replace it with Box2D (moment of silence for GlaielPhysics 1.0, he was handicapped but well loved nonetheless)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-26 17:30:31

You will forever remain in our hearts.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-26 17:36:30

At 4/26/10 02:54 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Can be hard to do. Was a bit tough to tear my own physics out of closure and replace it with Box2D (moment of silence for GlaielPhysics 1.0, he was handicapped but well loved nonetheless)

It is indeed hard to do that! I've been working on some 3d apps and I just know when we start up some projects over summer I'm just going to can it all and open up unity. Its even more painful when you can create scenes in 20minutes on something like PhysX that you had to sweat over to create in some homebrew piece of shit!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-26 18:11:52

Oh, great...

My mom just found my Twitter.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-26 18:18:36

At 4/26/10 06:11 PM, Archon68 wrote: Oh, great...

My mom just found my Twitter.

And now she'll be even more disappointed.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-26 18:51:20

At 4/26/10 02:54 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Let me also say

I had to pinch myself, at everything you said. It's like you've turned into a swan, a swan with glorious eyebrows.

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-27 01:17:03

I think i'm gonna start posting in here again.

not enough to make a commitment though....

just enough to get a birthday thread

Sig made by me

Once again i'm falling down a mountain like a metaphor

Here ends another post by the grand master of all things: fluffkomix

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-27 01:26:32

At 4/27/10 01:17 AM, fluffkomix wrote: I think i'm gonna start posting in here again.

not enough to make a commitment though....

I beleive in you and your birthday thread

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-27 11:31:11

At 4/26/10 06:51 PM, Luis wrote:
At 4/26/10 02:54 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Let me also say
I had to pinch myself, at everything you said. It's like you've turned into a swan, a swan with glorious eyebrows.

Glaiel really has matured rite?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-27 13:48:10

Spotify + Facebook, how could I ever live without it.

Yes, I'm somewhat sarcastic :P Love how you can add local files now though.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-27 14:13:35

At 4/27/10 01:48 PM, knugen wrote: Spotify + Facebook, how could I ever live without it.

Yes, I'm somewhat sarcastic :P Love how you can add local files now though.

All I hope for is that they've fixed the shuffle function. Then I can die a happy man.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."

- Oscar Wilde

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-27 14:31:29

Talking about spotify does anyone have any invites? I've been interested in it for a while :/

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-27 16:06:53

At 4/25/10 05:04 PM, Archon68 wrote:
At 4/25/10 03:28 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: write the essay though, that's the correct place to bitch about it.
I know you don't care the slightest, but I have just lost all respect for you.

For the past fourteen years I've had to deal with insane amounts of religious bullshit and I am fucking done with it.

Every time I even hint at the fact that there is indeed no God, I receive dirty looks and an awkward silence ensues. Nobody is even willing to argue their cause--instead, they just decide that they are right and won't hear any more of my blasphemies. But, for some reason they are all allowed to speak of their religious beliefs openly and publicly. So I'm the douche?

No, I'm a free thinker. I'm the one who wants to change this fucked up world we live in.

Give me ONE reasonable plausible argument against Atheism or any kind of reasoning for the naturally irrational belief in God and I'll shut up. Go on, try me. I'm open to some argument.

Hey, do you want to shut the christians up? Try this, it'll be BIG FUN!

First ask:
"Is god capable of doing everything?"

"YES, OFCOURSE!" They'll say.

Then ask:
"So... god is also capable of making a rock which he's not capable of picking up"

"Zomg I'm atheist now"

(that's some deep shit right there).

"Insert deep, brain twisting sentence here"

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-27 16:53:00

At 4/27/10 01:17 AM, fluffkomix wrote:

or you could make your own birthday thread with an alt

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-04-27 17:04:02

At 4/27/10 04:06 PM, tomdeaap wrote: Then ask:
"So... god is also capable of making a rock which he's not capable of picking up"

Oh oh! I thought up a solution for that!

That is a paradox, that is an illogical statement, it cannot exist, but..

Since God created time and space, and He was the one that put down the laws of the universe. Then He could change set laws and create a rock that he is unable to lift...and then be able to lift it, while still fulfilling the request at hand...

It doesn't make sense, but that's simply because it defies our laws of logic. But God can just remove them and everything could work out.

Just my two cents.

But let's not have this thread turn into a theism vs atheism thread, there's already one in the politics forum.