Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 13:52:05 Reply

FF Collabs

While I think the BA limit cannot realistically be increased, I think what needs to be tightened up is the theme limitations.

There are so many stupid themes for collabs. I think having to have been in a collab, as well as having released a solo project with a minimum score of 3.0, should be requirements. The collab system is feeding itself right now. Kids join 3 collabs which usually result in a BA of about 3.5 - 3.8 and then start making collabs themselves.

Also, another requirement could be you can't start another collab if you have any previously opened collabs within the past 6 months. This should motivate people to make sure their collabs get finished.

Kirk-Cocaine
Kirk-Cocaine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 13:54:35 Reply

At 2/7/09 01:43 PM, Denvish wrote: Is it time to have a clampdown again (long term regs will remember), or is it all cool?

Dunno if you saw, but we raised the minimum BA to 3.5. I'm not sure raising it again would do any good or how we could clamp down further than just banning collab threads out right.

I should ask Tom for my BBS mod privileges back before too long

Do it.

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature
RiverJordan
RiverJordan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 14:14:41 Reply

At 2/7/09 12:39 PM, IcePyro wrote:
At 2/7/09 05:38 AM, mwmike wrote:
At 2/7/09 01:18 AM, IcePyro wrote: this is a working-in-progress image
Those huts look remarkably like you've created them through trace-bitmap, rather than drawing them. I have nothing against that, though I suggest that you add a few more different colours to the roof.
lol, i don't know if to take that as a compliment or not :P, but i drew that my self 100% freehand-awesomeness.
a couple more colors couldn't hurt.

Its not so much that he used "trace-bitmap" as much as he just traced a bitmap... HEYOOOOO!!!!

Well, not "Traced" But more like "inspired by" some other house from another game, not traced tho :P

Depredation
Depredation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 14:49:58 Reply

At 2/7/09 01:43 PM, Denvish wrote: BTW thanks liiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaam for the warm welcome back. Old man indeed. I'll whup you with mah walking stick, you little whippersnapper

Good to see you back, we pretty much all agree about the collabs, so go for it.

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 15:00:38 Reply

I think that there just needs to be less concrete enforcement of the collab rules, and more subjectiveness on the side of the mods. It's really easy to bend the rules to fit the minimum requirements, even though stuff like "naruto collab 14 tribute" technically fits within the collab rules, its probably not a good idea to keep it open.

As was before, we just need to continue redirecting people to ngcollabs, as it might do well to raise that site from the dead.

liam
liam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 15:04:56 Reply

At 2/7/09 01:43 PM, Denvish wrote: BTW thanks liiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaam for the warm welcome back. Old man indeed. I'll whup you with mah walking stick, you little whippersnapper

Welcome back, wise one :)

And yes the flash forum does need a clampdown in the collab.. area.. but Luis is too soft on them. I think he likes the company.

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature
RiverJordan
RiverJordan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 15:09:02 Reply

At 2/7/09 03:00 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: even though stuff like "naruto collab 14 tribute" technically fits within the collab rules, its probably not a good idea to keep it open.

/agree

x-factor11
x-factor11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 15:49:25 Reply

soo yea, I was browsing the interwebs one day, and somehow I found a blog made by some kid, and on it he drew out a mind blowing idea for a game, by far the greatest iv seen yet...

here was his sketch..

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

TheCriminalDuder
TheCriminalDuder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Animator
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 15:57:41 Reply

Over 5 months of work has disappeared. Timeline and stage don't show up - both just blank. List of junk I've done to try and fix this has grown too big to list.
Any of you guys ever encounter this problem where the only way of fixing it is NOT deleting the scene and all the work on it? I really, really, don't want to lose this. If I do lose it I am taking a long break from flash until I cool down.

Screeny of sadness

Spring Break

Spring break is comin' up. It'll be my first spring break as a uni guy so this'll be neat. Hopefully I'll see a few pair of breats and go on a couple crazy adventures around the town with friends. Anyone have actual plans for spring break?

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

www.DuderEntertainment.com/ | Makin' Laughs and Kickin' Ass! >:3

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 16:00:22 Reply

At 2/7/09 03:57 PM, TheCriminalDuder wrote: Spring Break

Spring break is comin' up. It'll be my first spring break as a uni guy so this'll be neat. Hopefully I'll see a few pair of breats and go on a couple crazy adventures around the town with friends. Anyone have actual plans for spring break?

Going to GDC

CrazyChihuahua
CrazyChihuahua
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 16:07:20 Reply

Spring Break

Not in school, so it'll seem like just another week I guess.

BBS Signature
Xeptic
Xeptic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 16:25:02 Reply

Spring Break
My only holidays are during christmas and the summer break. Then again, I only spent about 6-8 hours on campus each week, so I can't complain.

BBS Signature
EmmDubya
EmmDubya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 16:26:41 Reply

Denvish

Welcome back! I haven't seen you for quite a while, and hearing that you've finally sorted out the ISP issues was great.

Collaboration Clampdown

I like the idea of cutting down on collabs that obviously won't go anywhere. For example, the 'Randomness Collab' is a pretty terrible idea for one. If this much people hadn't taken their time in producing pieces for it already then I don't think anyone would have missed it; or any other collaborations that are similar. I think the concept is more important than the organizer's BA; seeing as a collab with a great idea behind it will attract a lot of attention, and a lot of good submissions. A collaboration with a bad idea has less chance of working out than one with a good one, even if it is started by a good Flash author.

At 2/7/09 03:49 PM, x-factor11 wrote: here was his sketch..

From now on; I'm going to be basing my life on that innocent bystander. By lying in a cardboard box nothing can harm me!

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature
liam
liam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 16:28:48 Reply

At 2/7/09 04:00 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Going to GDC

Lucky bastard.

Why are there no good game industry conventions in the north of England.. (or England at all for that matter). One day I'll go to Leipzig..

BBS Signature
Xeptic
Xeptic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 16:36:17 Reply

At 2/7/09 04:28 PM, liaaaam wrote: Why are there no good game industry conventions in the north of England.. (or England at all for that matter). One day I'll go to Leipzig..

Leipzig died, there's a new convention being held in Cologne though.

Anyone care to tell me why I can't copy paste text from Word to Flash? It's kinda frustrating.

BBS Signature
liam
liam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 16:44:19 Reply

At 2/7/09 04:36 PM, Xeptic wrote: Leipzig died, there's a new convention being held in Cologne though.

One day I'll go to.. Liams Festival of Games. You'll see.

Actually I want to see a Newgrounds convention >.> Screw PAX, Newgrounds New Media Expo?

Anyone care to tell me why I can't copy paste text from Word to Flash? It's kinda frustrating.

You should be able to D:

BBS Signature
Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 17:01:47 Reply

At 2/7/09 04:36 PM, Xeptic wrote:

Congrats on UotD.

Xeptic
Xeptic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 17:54:56 Reply

At 2/7/09 05:01 PM, Deathcon7 wrote:
At 2/7/09 04:36 PM, Xeptic wrote:
Congrats on UotD.

Cheers for telling me. What are the odds...

@ the copy/paste Word issue
Apparently I'm not the only one who's having this issue. Any other (mac) users here have/had the same problem? It's weird, I can copy paste text from other editors to flash, but not from Word.

BBS Signature
tommattox
tommattox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 17:55:41 Reply

Liam you a geordie, cumbrian or further south than that? I'm Cumbrian ;)

Hai Denvish!

Collab clampdown: I'd just raise the limit to 4, solo submission 3.75 and can't be a dreadful 3 frame clock flash submitted on clock-day. Something along those lines anyways.

BBS Signature
jmtb02
jmtb02
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 17:57:10 Reply

Flash Gaming Summit
If you're going to GDC you might as well gotoAndPlay() the Flash Gaming Summit as well. I'm speaking on a panel this year for "Marketing and Distributing Flash Games" and so is Edmund for "What Makes Flash Games A HIt?" Site Here, you have to pay to get in but you get discounts for being a kid which you most likely are.

Collab Rules
I think we're good now but yeah, people are opting to make crap at the moment which happens. It'll probably clear out like it usually does. Also Luis needs to stop approving every collab and it's mother :) :) :).

Still waiting for a Collab forum.

Denvish
Come back, I hate voting for "The Most Missed User" every year.

Hi there!

BBS Signature
Depredation
Depredation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 18:01:43 Reply

At 2/7/09 04:28 PM, liaaaam wrote: Why are there no good game industry conventions in the north of England.. (or England at all for that matter). One day I'll go to Leipzig..

There's one in london, although i can't remember when, and it's more about the industry than the games :P. I'll probably go after i've done my a levels to see what sort of route i want to take.

FGS

I'd love to go there, shame it's exactly 8499 miles away :P. I'm surprised tom has never spoken there, he'd be a figurehead to show how flash can turn into a buisness, aswell as armor games and edmund. Any chance of any videos/pics etc?

BBS Signature
Mexifry
Mexifry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 18:02:55 Reply

Collab Rules
I think we're good now but yeah, people are opting to make crap at the moment which happens. It'll probably clear out like it usually does. Also Luis needs to stop approving every collab and it's mother :) :) :).

Less important than crappy collabs that get finished are the people who just don't finish their collab or ditch it.

I think there should be a rule about collab ditchers and if they have done it too many times that they shouldn't be allowed to make collabs in the forum.

Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 18:04:54 Reply

At 2/7/09 05:57 PM, jmtb02 wrote: I hate voting for "The Most Missed User" every year.

yea i hate voting for kevinmeurs777 every year too

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 18:06:24 Reply

At 2/7/09 05:57 PM, jmtb02 wrote: Flash Gaming Summit
If you're going to GDC you might as well gotoAndPlay() the Flash Gaming Summit as well. I'm speaking on a panel this year for "Marketing and Distributing Flash Games" and so is Edmund for "What Makes Flash Games A HIt?" Site Here, you have to pay to get in but you get discounts for being a kid which you most likely are.

I'll try to get you or edmund to sneak me in :p

I only have an expo pass but I'm trying to see if I can get ahold of a better pass without paying anything

tommattox
tommattox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 18:21:22 Reply

Glaiel for some reason I always think your a mod until I see your icon 0.o Bleh not sure why. Probably because your so damn secksay :P

Ok then gayness over does anyone know any decent free browser-based games like tribalwars or cybernations?

BBS Signature
liam
liam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 18:40:37 Reply

At 2/7/09 05:55 PM, tommattox wrote: Liam you a geordie, cumbrian or further south than that? I'm Cumbrian ;)

I'm from Leeds, a leodensian, a loiner.

Bitmap save/load is awesum.

BBS Signature
Nick
Nick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 19:06:51 Reply

At 2/7/09 06:04 PM, Toast wrote:
At 2/7/09 05:57 PM, jmtb02 wrote: I hate voting for "The Most Missed User" every year.
yea i hate voting for kevinmeurs777 every year too

He quite obviously means BobRicci.

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 19:08:50 Reply

Besides we all know the most missed user is DEADSiM

before... the transformation
Toast
Toast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 19:12:01 Reply

At 2/7/09 07:06 PM, Nick wrote: He quite obviously means BobRicci.

yea that's the one, i forgot his name. kevinmeurs777 was almost as awesome as bobricci though.

awesomely retarded

BBS Signature
CrazyChihuahua
CrazyChihuahua
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-02-07 19:16:04 Reply

Flash Gaming Summit

Wow, didn't know about that. That's cool. I don't suppose anyone knows if there'll be transcripts or anything of the like of the panel discussions? It'd be interesting to read/watch.

BBS Signature