00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jrayyy82 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,914,958 Views | 60,181 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-16 13:27:45

At 4/16/09 11:29 AM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: A Capt. Moroni sounds like a type of drink.

I can totally visualise ordering a double Capt. Moroni and coke.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-16 15:48:53

At 4/15/09 04:10 PM, Deadclever23 wrote: Woot.
My firstest eva flash.LolOlOlolol.

Fail :P

I know a Nathan Price, is there any chance you're from Leeds? ;)

Also, the Bomtoons shirt looks awesome. If I had more disposable income I'd totally be in the business of buying internet t-shirts (I only have 1, a NG one, at the moment) and I'd snap that shiz up, daw'g.

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-16 16:20:52

At 4/15/09 08:39 PM, UnknownFury wrote:
At 4/15/09 08:35 PM, fluffkomix wrote: hey guys, just curious, but what is the most extensive piece of code that can be summed up in two or three lines.
What a stupid question. You could make pretty much any code infinite lines long unless I'm not understanding you correctly. Elaborate?

sorry if i sounded stupid there. im not really into AS.

what i mean is the most common mistake AS noobs make that could easily be summed up.

Sig made by me

Once again i'm falling down a mountain like a metaphor

Here ends another post by the grand master of all things: fluffkomix

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-16 16:37:02

Assignment does not equal comparison.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-16 17:59:48

At 4/16/09 04:20 PM, fluffkomix wrote: hey guys, just curious, but what is the most extensive piece of code that can be summed up in two or three lines.
At 4/16/09 04:37 PM, Paranoia wrote: Assignment does not equal comparison.

Which could be summed up as:

= != ==

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-16 18:43:11

anyone got twitter? My timeline needs to be busier :P

username: AdMan1993

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-16 19:05:01

At 4/16/09 05:59 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote:
At 4/16/09 04:37 PM, Paranoia wrote: Assignment does not equal comparison.
Which could be summed up as:

= != ==

Or = != == and == != === but == = === more than = == == :p

= != == != === && == != ===; == = === > = == ==

To be fare it's not really a noob problem. I've only just stopped ballsing it up on a semi-regular basis, and that's what, just shy of four years of coding?

The AS3 compiler isn't really friendly to barely noticable typos. The best help you get is 'have fun searching through this big ass function untill you find the cap you missed out!' :(

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-16 19:05:51

ya so i got twitter too. twitter.com/fluffkomix

also i was having dinner in an italian restaurant in mexico and i was being waited on by a mexican chap named Luis.

well luis? are you ready to admit that during your spare time you serve people in a mexican italian restaurant?

Sig made by me

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-16 19:14:09

At 4/16/09 07:05 PM, Paranoia wrote: stuff

Assignment operators are easy D=

Though I've never bothered using === in any circumstance. I'm sure there's some perfectly reasonable uses, and it's probably quite a bit faster than == (since there's no type check / conversion).. but since I know my types are gonna be the same and I'm not really bothered about that tiny performance increase.. I don't bother.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-16 19:14:58

At 4/16/09 07:05 PM, Paranoia wrote: To be fare it's not really a noob problem. I've only just stopped ballsing it up on a semi-regular basis

Yeah I still do it every so often too. I'm never close brackets properly, I'm always doing stuff like if(a.hitTest(b). It's just lazy typing =P

The AS3 compiler isn't really friendly to barely noticable typos.

I find the AS3 complier damn annoying. It always seems to tell me that function X has an error, but it doesn't tell me what line the error is on. Damn annoying!

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-16 19:19:59

At 4/16/09 07:14 PM, liaaaam wrote: Though I've never bothered using === in any circumstance. I'm sure there's some perfectly reasonable uses, and it's probably quite a bit faster than == (since there's no type check / conversion).. but since I know my types are gonna be the same and I'm not really bothered about that tiny performance increase.. I don't bother.

I never thought about the type conversion... I generally make damn sure everything's explicity cast as the data type it's supposed to be. It could go the other way, if Flash is doing an additional check to ensure that something is the correct type rather than just true equivalent / false equivalent.

Has anyone done speed checks on == and ===?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-16 23:12:22

At 4/5/09 04:12 PM, Alpharius120 wrote:
At 4/5/09 03:30 PM, tomocles wrote: haha, even people who do flash constantly dont care about group projects. :(
It's mostly the people who are fairly new to flash who participate in collaborations. Not always, there are exceptions, but for the most part. People who are better with flash or more experienced generally lean towards the solo project or coder/animator aspect of flash while the less experienced prefer working with people as practice so they can make an animation but the animation doesn't have to be a full length animation.

You guys kind of missed the point of what I asked about....I was asking why it is that people ONLY flock to collaborations?

My Animation Tests thread failed: this tells me that either people could give a shit less about improvement through small short animations, or that they are too embarassed to show them (or dont want to), which isnt a good sign either way.

My Animation Warzone thread failed: you guys obviously dont want to do anything out of the plain ol' collab. :\

Barely anyone participates in my screenshot thread: means that either you have nothing to show, or you dont really care about much more than submitting your creation.

These threads work so well in even stick animation communities, so why are newgrounders, who number in the millions, so resistant/lazy?

Age of Shuriken, an ambitious RPG game, is in need of a Background Artist! Check coolroy's page for more info:

http://coolroy.newgrounds.com/news/

post/492693

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-16 23:37:27

At 4/16/09 05:27 AM, Depredation wrote: iPod Apps
Anyone else done anything with em?

I downloaded the app maker. Couldn't figure out how to start it up. It'd never work, it kept crashing.

Hey yo

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-17 02:09:19

I'm done with classes now, just got 6 finals next week and then I'm free to work on new closure.

- Engine compiles on mac and windows now with no changes to the code (although I have some #ifdef __APPLE__ and #ifdef __WIN32__ blocks in the code

- configuration file where I can define stuff like resolution, FPS, fullscreen, widescreen, etc. Easy to add new options to it codewise

- PNG loading
- animation and sprite file formats (saving/loading) and classes
- shaders
- render to texture (similar to flash bitmapdata)
- extract pixel data from texture
- buttons, textboxes, textbuttons

- file manager keeps track of loaded files by filename and only loads/releases them when it needs to

- framerate lock/delay (delay limits framerate, lock forces an exact number of update cycles per frame, skipping render if necessary)

- key/mouse handeler (released, pressed, down, triggered (triggered will register once, pause, then register periodically like holding a key down for a textbox) can handle all mouse buttons and all keyboard keys

runs pretty well. I get 160 fps on my test of 100 sprites, 3 post process shaders, 720p resolution. 80 fps for 1080p.

If I play my cards right i might get to see it on the wii in the future

-

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-17 10:58:43

hey guys guess what!

i just go on one of the computers thats in the resort, and i see someone is logged onto MSN. so i decide to open it up and log them off. this is what i found.

i assume this is a private MSN, but im still gonna change her name and everything. and send hateful messages to this "louis"

but the picture i am posting right now is not edited in any way other than image cropping.

hey if she leaves herself logged on like this its free game

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Sig made by me

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-17 12:43:34

At 4/17/09 10:58 AM, fluffkomix wrote: hey guys guess what!

Come on man, you're at least two years too old to do stuff like that.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-17 12:56:46

At 4/17/09 12:43 PM, knugen wrote:
At 4/17/09 10:58 AM, fluffkomix wrote: hey guys guess what!
Come on man, you're at least two years too old to do stuff like that.

being 2 years old is 2 years too old for that.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-17 13:49:11

Everyone heard of Scarygirl? http://www.scarygirl.com/

Guess what haXe it was made with? I mean, language. :D

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-17 14:31:23

T-Mobile G1
Contract ended yesterday, renewed and got a new phone. 700 mins and unlimited texts for £35/month.
Anyone else got it? What do you like or not like about it?

Pros
3inch touch screen
Fast and smooth scrolling
Customisable apps on desktop
Market for apps
Sync with google mail
Fast internet
Accelerometer (Tilt Sensor)
Good speakers

Cons
Bad battery life, have to turn off alot of stuff to keep it alive
Not multitouch
No Flash Player - wtf :(
Little memory
Bluetooth sucks - wont pair with the Macbook
Bottom gets really hot

But man its a fucking awesome phone.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-17 15:37:10

At 4/16/09 11:12 PM, tomocles wrote: My Animation Tests thread failed
My Animation Warzone thread failed
Barely anyone participates in my screenshot thread
These threads work so well in even stick animation communities, so why are newgrounders, who number in the millions, so resistant/lazy?

Its because of the credit crunch...

Also, generally, people in stick animation communities tend to be fairly new to animation, and so are far more pleased with their work and like to show it off more, so you're more likely to get a better response somewhere like that.

At 4/17/09 02:31 PM, Saza wrote: T-Mobile G1
Contract ended yesterday, renewed and got a new phone. 700 mins and unlimited texts for £35/month.

T-mobile, sim only, 350 mins, 650 texts £15 a month, + cheap £70 phone.
Definately the way forward. If you use more than 350 mins and 650 texts a month, you have issues.

your phone Pros:

my phone Pros:

3inch touch screen

buttons are better

Fast and smooth scrolling

slow and rough, thats how i like it.

Customisable apps on desktop

Non-customisable apps means no need to spend ages changing stuff

Market for apps

a variety of different ring tones

Sync with google mail

Sync with text messages

Fast internet

Fast phonecalls

Accelerometer (Tilt Sensor)

ditto

Good speakers

speakers

Your phone Cons:

my phone Cons:

Bad battery life, have to turn off alot of stuff to keep it alive

sometimes turns itself off

Not multitouch

not singletouch

No Flash Player - wtf :(

no player

Little memory

4GB memory

Bluetooth sucks - wont pair with the Macbook

dont have a macbook, so my bluetooth is perfect.

Bottom gets really hot

doesn't have an anus.

But man its a fucking awesome phone.

But i still love my phone.

I like to think of phones like women. You can keep telling yourself that its whats on the inside that counts, but in the end, its all about the way it looks. I have had a phone with all sorts of apps on, but in the end i just used it for phoning and texting.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-17 15:39:12

At 4/17/09 01:49 PM, GustTheASGuy wrote: Everyone heard of Scarygirl? http://www.scarygirl.com/

Guess what haXe it was made with? I mean, language. :D

I tried it. Art was AMAZING! I didn't know haXe was an art tool too!

Gameplay was fairly average, it felt very flash game-y, which was kind of a letdown considering how beautiful it looked.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-17 16:06:26

Cybex why did you dissapear.
):

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-17 16:18:18

At 4/17/09 04:06 PM, Saza wrote: Cybex why did you dissapear.
):

newgrounds = bunch of cocky teens trying to one-up each other all the time
real life >> newgrounds

I just decided to come on here for a bit to avoid packing for going back to uni and because i hadn't been here in ages.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-17 16:24:29

At 4/17/09 04:18 PM, CybexALT wrote:
):

That wasn't meant to offend anyone btw, thats just how i see newgrounds in general (well the flash forum anyway), not you guys. <3

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-17 17:32:56

I love you to Cybex.

Aha everyone at my school is playing paintball after 3 years.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-17 17:36:13

At 4/17/09 04:18 PM, CybexALT wrote:
):

the internet in general = bunch of cocky teens trying to one-up each other all the time

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-17 18:03:09

At 4/17/09 03:39 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: I tried it. Art was AMAZING! I didn't know haXe was an art tool too!

Gameplay was fairly average, it felt very flash game-y, which was kind of a letdown considering how beautiful it looked.

I was going to type the same stuff (well, that the art was amazing and that is all I was impressed with) - but you summed it up well. It's nice to see haXe is being used for SOMETHING though, else I would feel bad about all the work the developer is putting into it D:

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-17 18:09:53

'Ronald McDonald' came into the McDonalds I work at today (to entertain the kids). Clowns are awesome :D

Also, I've decided to put my Vista scheme to "Classic" because dwm.exe (desktop windows manager) was totally fucking my processor. It'd be fine at times but every now and then (usually when I have flash open) the processor usage would hit 100% and things would grind to a halt - I was getting very pissed =P Setting the scheme to classic has totally fixed that.. I miss Aero but it's worth it :/

I meant to add these 2 uninteresting tidbits in my last post but forgot =]

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-17 18:33:27

At 4/17/09 05:36 PM, UnknownFury wrote:
At 4/17/09 04:18 PM, CybexALT wrote: newgrounds = bunch of cocky teens trying to one-up each other all the time
the internet in general = bunch of cocky teens trying to one-up each other all the time

Nice job one-upping Cybex there :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-04-17 20:55:31

At 4/17/09 06:09 PM, liaaaam wrote: 'Ronald McDonald' came into the McDonalds I work at today

You WORK at McDonalds?

Nepotism is everywhere these days.

BBS Signature