00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

PsyKing77 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

AS just doesnt make sense to me

871 Views | 18 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

AS just doesnt make sense to me 2006-07-27 22:57:49

I can make play buttons and stuff, but everything else just seems crazy.I've been trying to figure it out for a while and I still suck with actionscript.all the tutorials I try and use seem to complicated .anyone got a simple AS tut.Like really really basic stuff?

Response to AS just doesnt make sense to me 2006-07-27 22:59:25

noobs dont make sense *sigh*

Response to AS just doesnt make sense to me 2006-07-27 22:59:54

wuh?

Response to AS just doesnt make sense to me 2006-07-27 23:01:09

Here is my personal favorite AS tutorial.

It covers basic stuff and then goes to more advanced.

http://uploads.ungro..302147_tutorialF.swf

Response to AS just doesnt make sense to me 2006-07-27 23:04:11

try as main and if you find somthing that doesent work set you flash player to player 6 AS 1

Response to AS just doesnt make sense to me 2006-07-27 23:05:59

AS can seem hard at first.

It takes a lot of getting used to. I don't reccomend it as a first programming langauge. I say learn something like PHP first, just to get a handle on programming techniques. That's what I did, and it worked wonders.

Response to AS just doesnt make sense to me 2006-07-27 23:07:39

Wait.. is PHP easier?

AS was my first programming language and I can't imagine anything easier than it. :P

Response to AS just doesnt make sense to me 2006-07-27 23:08:09

At 7/27/06 11:05 PM, GamesCool wrote: AS can seem hard at first.

It takes a lot of getting used to. I don't reccomend it as a first programming langauge. I say learn something like PHP first, just to get a handle on programming techniques. That's what I did, and it worked wonders.

Hes's right i worked about a year before i started Stick Adventure

Response to AS just doesnt make sense to me 2006-07-27 23:08:14

It doesn't make much sense to me either... but I've started to scratch the surface a bit. I really like the first few tutorials on actionscript.org.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to AS just doesnt make sense to me 2006-07-27 23:10:44

At 7/27/06 11:08 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: It doesn't make much sense to me either... but I've started to scratch the surface a bit. I really like the first few tutorials on actionscript.org.

Yes, that sites a great resource.

Also, I learned most of my ActionScript techniques from this book: http://www.amazon.co..4999-8757536?ie=UTF8

It's a little outdated now, but it worked great for the time.

Response to AS just doesnt make sense to me 2006-07-27 23:14:37

that actionscript.org site is awesome.thanxx alot guys.

Response to AS just doesnt make sense to me 2006-07-27 23:23:07

Hey TUTORIALIZED Is a nice site to find things like this! and FlashKit Is a gud place to!

Been here since '03 and less than 1,000 posts

Response to AS just doesnt make sense to me 2006-07-28 00:09:14

Dude, look in my sig. Click the second one by Vengeance. It taught me so much about variables and stuff.

It really helps.

BBS Signature

Response to AS just doesnt make sense to me 2006-07-28 00:14:22

At 7/27/06 11:05 PM, GamesCool wrote: I say learn something like PHP first

i'm majorly going to have to disagree with you there. I've been learning php fro around 2 months and find actionscripting so much easier. It's in one work enviroment with no need to open a new window to test. It has a GUI which is reallly important when just learning programming, and for what most people want when they're starting it does the job. Most people want to just make a guy walk around the screen when they start. you can't do that in php, its for web apps.

========|| WWWWWWWW>[-[Blog] - [Audio] - [Userpage] - [Flash] - [Last.fm]-]<WWWWWWWW ||========

BBS Signature

Response to AS just doesnt make sense to me 2006-07-28 00:16:45

I say learn something like PHP first
i'm majorly going to have to disagree with you there. I've been learning php fro around 2 months and find actionscripting so much easier. It's in one work enviroment with no need to open a new window to test. It has a GUI which is reallly important when just learning programming, and for what most people want when they're starting it does the job. Most people want to just make a guy walk around the screen when they start. you can't do that in php, its for web apps.

Here's why I don't agree with that. PHP is very easy, and it teaches you very basic programming techniques.

To learn ActionScript thouroughly you have to fully understand the concepts of Flash, like movieClips.

Maybe that's just how I learned.

When I was about 11 I tried to learn ActionScript. I just couldn't understand it. RIght around then I started PHP. I spent about 2 years on it, and then went on to ActionScript, and I learned it in no time.

I guess it's just personal preference.

Response to AS just doesnt make sense to me 2006-07-28 00:23:50

At 7/28/06 12:22 AM, many_monkeys wrote: Witch do you think is simpler, HTML or PHP?

HTML. HTML is just a markup language. It's not even programming. PHP is programming and will teach you the basic concepts of programming.

Response to AS just doesnt make sense to me 2006-07-28 00:28:12

At 7/28/06 12:23 AM, GamesCool wrote:
At 7/28/06 12:22 AM, many_monkeys wrote: Witch do you think is simpler, HTML or PHP?
HTML. HTML is just a markup language. It's not even programming. PHP is programming and will teach you the basic concepts of programming.

Exactly. PHP can do tons of stuff HTML can't like email.
Also, (at the creator of the thread), are you good at math? If you aren't, you probably won't be able to get AS.

Response to AS just doesnt make sense to me 2006-07-28 00:29:34

At 7/28/06 12:28 AM, DoubleFelix wrote: Exactly. PHP can do tons of stuff HTML can't like email.
Also, (at the creator of the thread), are you good at math? If you aren't, you probably won't be able to get AS.

Yeah, PHP is great for things like sending emails, which can't be achieved with HTML.

I don't agree with your math statement. I'm pretty bad at math, and I'm pretty good at ActionScript :)

Response to AS just doesnt make sense to me 2006-07-28 00:32:39

I suck at math but iam not bad at AS i think its because AS is fun