00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Midi - In For My Keyboard

1,156 Views | 17 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Midi - In For My Keyboard 2006-06-25 15:15:17

I have a big problem. I have a really old Keyboard from Casio...

Casio CTK-1000

So, I bought it used. He had not given me the MIDI cable but I found another one.

My problem is:

I have not the MIDI-In for it so do anyone of you have the MIDI-In for my Keyboard and can send me the link from the Filehost-side you've uploaded it? Or can you tell me a website, where I can download it?

Please, need ya help!!!

Thx.

Response to Midi - In For My Keyboard 2006-06-25 15:16:22

huh? Do you need drivers? I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for here...

BBS Signature

Response to Midi - In For My Keyboard 2006-06-25 15:16:43

Wait, what?

You want to download a midi in plug? What you planning to do, print it off and stick it to the back of your computer?

Response to Midi - In For My Keyboard 2006-06-25 15:18:09

Good I'm glad Im not the only who is confused :)

BBS Signature

Response to Midi - In For My Keyboard 2006-06-25 15:23:18

Yeah, you must know that I'm a newbie of this!

Well the problem:

It works because I hear a rushing.

But how do I get the MIDI's from the Keyboard to PC.

I hope that's a better question.

Response to Midi - In For My Keyboard 2006-06-25 15:24:37

At 6/25/06 03:23 PM, Tha_DJ_Ravecore wrote: But how do I get the MIDI's from the Keyboard to PC.

...by plugging a midi cable in between your computer and the keyboard...

Response to Midi - In For My Keyboard 2006-06-25 15:26:45

No, nothings happen! What for program or something else I need?

Damn, I don't know anything about that.

Response to Midi - In For My Keyboard 2006-06-25 15:29:27

Well yeah, you need a program thats capable of taking midi control.

The midi controller dosn't take sounds from your keyboard to your computer. It just turns all the keys into buttons that can be used in programs to control things, hence the term 'midi controller'.

Most of the software in the audio sticky can take midi control from a midi cable.

As for setting it up, it all depends what software you're using, but you don't need any drivers or stuff like that, just software thats capable of using midi.

Response to Midi - In For My Keyboard 2006-06-25 15:29:42

Yea, midi cables are a little harder to come by than they were a few years ago. I'm assuming you want a Midi to USB cable (so you plug the midi end into the keyboard, an the USB end into the computer). Those cables cost between 30 an 40 bucks, but some software has them included for free (I think one of the cheapo Magix programs has it included, which makes the buy a great deal with the software and cable).

The reason they are so expensive is because there is a device in the middle of the cable that screws around with the midi channel so the USB can input it into the computer correctly. I don't know the specifics, but that's the gist of how that works. If you have Midi in/out in your computer, you dont have to spend so much on a midi to usb cable, and can just get a midi/midi cable.

BBS Signature

Response to Midi - In For My Keyboard 2006-06-25 15:35:01

Hm, I've only used MIDI for music on a mac, OS 9 and OS X, but I'll do what I can:

Are you using an external MIDI interface (something which has two big fat MIDI jacks, where you plug in the big fat MIDI cables IN and OUT) connecting between your keyboard and computer?

OR, do you just use a cable that plugs directly into the keyboard, and on the other end, directly into the computer (via USB)?

You may need an external MIDI interface. However, if your keyboard doesn't require one of these external interfaces-- (it would require the plug straight from the computer to the keyboard) --it has an INTERNAL interface, inside of the keyboard. In this case, you can just plug in the cable like you have already (hold on, i'm getting there :D)

In some cases, you may need software. In others, you won't. From my personal experience on a mac, I've NEVER needed the included software by MOTU when I bought a midi interface (it was called "clock-something?"). It should work automatically. This leads me to believe the problem is not your needing the right drivers...it's a connection issue. Make SURE your keyboard is GM (general midi) compatible, as dumb as that sounds.

Get back to uswith that info and we might be able to narrow down the solution more.

Response to Midi - In For My Keyboard 2006-06-25 15:36:25

You don't need an external midi interface 99% of the time. You can get adaptors that let you plug the midi cable into your computers serial (joystick) port, although a lot of soundcards now have a built in interface.

Response to Midi - In For My Keyboard 2006-06-25 15:36:51

Heh...sorry, it looks like Khuskan and the other guy both posted at the same time, and I was in the middle of my post anyway. Maybe Khuskan already answered your problem?

Response to Midi - In For My Keyboard 2006-06-25 15:41:19

At 6/25/06 03:36 PM, DJ_Dinero wrote: Heh...sorry, it looks like Khuskan and the other guy both posted at the same time, and I was in the middle of my post anyway. Maybe Khuskan already answered your problem?

Oh thanks pal, I'm glad I left a lasting impression with you!

BBS Signature

Response to Midi - In For My Keyboard 2006-06-25 15:43:15

lol, i was hoping that would blow over you :D

I just forgot the other guy and didnt want to hit back...:/

's cool, right? =/

Response to Midi - In For My Keyboard 2006-06-25 16:20:25

you may want some notation software. Finale and Sibelius are the most popular notation programs out there, but neither of them are cheap. Try a google search or a download.com search.

Response to Midi - In For My Keyboard 2006-06-25 16:35:15

At 6/25/06 03:43 PM, DJ_Dinero wrote: lol, i was hoping that would blow over you :D

I just forgot the other guy and didnt want to hit back...:/

's cool, right? =/

haha ofcourse, I'm just screwing around :)

BBS Signature

Response to Midi - In For My Keyboard 2006-06-25 17:16:40

Well, nice conversation! ^^

Yeah, nothing works. (censored)

It's better to buy a MIDI cable with USB connection.

Thx 4 everybody who helped me.

Response to Midi - In For My Keyboard 2006-06-25 17:40:50

At 6/25/06 05:16 PM, Tha_DJ_Ravecore wrote: Well, nice conversation! ^^

Yeah, nothing works. (censored)

It's better to buy a MIDI cable with USB connection.

Would be, if they existed.

You need a midi to usb adaptor hub for that, and they're expensive...