00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BUNKUMBITCH just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Audio! Go! Go!

31,312 Views | 188 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 17:13:30

I like the Audio Portal idea. People who aren't so good with flash but can work with music programs can now share their creativity with NG.

I think we should be able to blam/protect the sounds though.

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 17:15:13

kool.DBZ is the best show

NG Audio! Go! Go!

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 17:18:05

Is there not a way to preview audio clips before you download them? Flashkit.com allows you to preview, maybe you could work on that. Just a suggestion, David

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 17:34:18

Grrf, I want to upload my whole songs, I'm the best musician NG has ever seen, next to Shok. I'd so own that audio portal.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 17:34:47

man, this should really help me out with things. there are some sound fx i just cant find, so hopefully i'll find them here at newgrounds.

off the hizzy fo shizzel my lil nizzle

NG Audio! Go! Go!

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 17:58:18

To answer a couple of questions so far:

1. Tom's working on the preview animation.

2. We do have a method of deleting content that violates the upload rules (e.g. copyrighted material). We just haven't started using it properly (except for one track I removed earlier today).

3. Maybe in the future, we'll add some way of users collectively deleting the content.

4. A whistle-type system does sound like a good idea.

5. No, you cannot upload someone else's material, even if it is you who's playing the track. The copyright exists on the material, not on the recording of that material. If you released a cover of one of the Beatles songs, you would have to pay royalties and ask permission from the people who take care of the Beatles' contract before even releasing it.

6. Yes, there will be an edit option in your Grounds Gold menu soon.

7. Sound effects usually have some sort of copyright on them.

8. We will probably have some sort of system to track whether or not your audio clips have been used in the Portal and notify you of them.

9. Request boxes sound like something we could use at some point in the future.

10. There is no easy way to check whether 2 sounds are the same. All of the files are stored in different subdirectories and are given unique names. Comparing filesizes isn't always a good idea.

11. Dunno about experience for voting.

12. I will add the audio listings into the profile soon. We're already cramming plenty of stuff in there - another list shouldn't hurt. :)

13. Commercial music is a threat - several users have already requested that their entries be removed from the Portal in the past because of threats from big companies.

14. Editing samples so that they sound nothing like the original is a grey area. Only get into it if you're confident that there'll be no comebacks.

15. Review writing might be put in there at some point.

Ok, I think that covers most stuff so far. :)

Remember, this is a new system and everything takes time. Have patience. And before anyone asks, no, I have not forgotten about the multi-author system. I've been playing around with some more stuff for that tonight. But it's still a long way off happening! :)

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 18:01:31

This is a great idea. I've been having lots of trouble finding non-copyrighted music for my free flash animations.

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 18:03:17

At 2/13/03 09:27 AM, TomFulp wrote: We would like to announce a revolutionary new addition to Newgrounds. Ladies and gentlemen, enter the AUDIO PORTAL!

Pretty good idea! I hope it works out well!

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 18:04:14

Don't forget to put music in people's profile, Jim.

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 18:07:20

At 2/13/03 05:58 PM, liljim wrote: To answer a couple of questions so far:

1. Tom's working on the preview animation.

2. We do have a method of deleting content that violates the upload rules (e.g. copyrighted material). We just haven't started using it properly (except for one track I removed earlier today).

3. Maybe in the future, we'll add some way of users collectively deleting the content.

4. A whistle-type system does sound like a good idea.
11. Dunno about experience for voting.

12. I will add the audio listings into the profile soon. We're already cramming plenty of stuff in there - another list shouldn't hurt. :)

13. Commercial music is a threat - several users have already requested that their entries be removed from the Portal in the past because of threats from big companies.
15. Review writing might be put in there at some point.

This all sounds very good. What is the punishment for violators of the song stealing? Warning or termination?

I don't think people should get experience for voting.

Yeah, listing them in the profile would be nice.

Review writing seems unneccesary.

That sucks legal action has been threatened on some of the artists. Fucking greedy, L.A., coke using, pony-tail having, vegan bastards.

All in all. Cool.

P.S. At 6:00 each day, I'll be posting in my profile a picture of someone who is NOT Keyser Soze. Why? To help narrow down the list of who really is Keyser Soze, and because I'm a dork who is wayyyy to into my Grounds identity.

NG Audio! Go! Go!

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 18:25:46

i dont think voting should get ex. points for one certain reason, even though it would be cool to listen to those files and vote. the problem is, you would have to download each sound and then listen to it. i guess voting could definitley be a good idea if there is ever a way to listen to the audio on the actual page instead of downloading it.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 18:45:14

Wow, this is great, this gimes me a chance to sumbit stuff that i'm good at, since i don't know jack about flash.

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 19:11:28

heh cool

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 19:15:24

At 2/13/03 09:27 AM, TomFulp wrote: We would like to announce a revolutionary new addition to Newgrounds. Ladies and gentlemen, enter the AUDIO PORTAL!

This is a freakin' great idea!

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 19:32:46

400k isnt big enough for anything other than sound effects.

What are people supposed to do for songs?

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 19:38:52

This is cool, it's always such a bitch to find good sound effects. I hope this catches on and people submit some good stuff.

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 19:45:53

This just occured to me. Will the Blam Club start excepting audio submission URL's to be blammed?

Changes are stupid :-( !!!

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 19:48:46

I checked out the audio portal and there should DEFINATLY be a way of previewing before you download!!!

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 20:31:29

At 2/13/03 07:32 PM, Superabound wrote: 400k isnt big enough for anything other than sound effects.

Including whole songs in flash is often a misuse of flash. It is often better to create an effective 10-20 second loop to use as bg music in flash. And I think that is what Tom is trying to encourage with the audio portal. I'm sure everyone will appreciate it when we start seeing less of the 4mb stick animations with Limp Bizkit sound tracks...

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 21:14:51

At 2/13/03 08:31 PM, Evil_San wrote:
At 2/13/03 07:32 PM, Superabound wrote: 400k isnt big enough for anything other than sound effects.

Including whole songs in flash is often a misuse of flash. It is often better to create an effective 10-20 second loop to use as bg music in flash. And I think that is what Tom is trying to encourage with the audio portal. I'm sure everyone will appreciate it when we start seeing less of the 4mb stick animations with Limp Bizkit sound tracks...

Right on, brudda.

Today's NOT Keyser Soze is Devi from Jhonen Vasquez's comic, I Feel Sick. Who will Keyser Soze NOT be tommorow? Who knows?! (No wonder I never get laid.)

NG Audio! Go! Go!

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 21:18:49

Crap, I cant get the music to download, it just sits there and wont even load to download... X.x

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 21:46:54

I figured that's what you where going to do tom, it's a great idea. I will say one thing though, the vote buttons for the audio section are kinda small, I think they would be easier to use if they were twice as big. Also will there be a way in the future to hear the clip before downloading it?

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 22:56:53

At 2/13/03 09:27 AM, TomFulp wrote: SUBMIT YOUR ORIGINAL MUSIC AND SOUND EFFECTS!

Brilliant! I love it! Great way for new artists to get noticed, and this will help a lot of people overall.

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-13 23:39:19

Although Public Domain sounds aren't that hard to find (for me, anyway, since I do things myself), it's nice to have a little something for when you're lazy. You get to choose from a bunch of categories, and you can show off your audio skills if you have any! A great addition. I just wish I could show my pixel art skills, heh.

NG Audio! Go! Go!

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-14 00:00:00

Sounds cool! I hope that new flash submitters will take advantage of tis to imrove their movies. Nice idea!!

NG Audio! Go! Go!

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-14 02:19:20

Wow! That's a great idea!!! *hugs Tom*

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-14 02:42:41

Fianly we are getting music back to NG!!!

NG Audio! Go! Go!

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-14 02:57:38

This might be wierd asking, but are we going to be able to vote in the audio portal, like the flash portal? Please don't make so we can blam and protect the audio submissions.

NG Audio! Go! Go!

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-14 03:06:23

this is new, i hope that this becomes big on ng.

Response to NG Audio! Go! Go! 2003-02-14 04:36:43

Off the topic- what the hell is up with the site being maintained EVERY freakin' night?! I typically get home from work late, go out on the town and come back late. I just want to log on for 15-30 minutes, watch some new stuff and get my points. I can't do this because the only window of opportunity I have to check out NG, you guys have it shut down! I'm assuming this isn't going to last forever. When can we expect for NG to be back to normal?

Thanks,
creamyspy69