00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

seph-lol just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Look at what I found on Wikipedia

12,044 Views | 141 Replies

Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 16:27:37

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure why I never started whoring this out around the internet earlier.

I was browsing through Wikipedia one day back in March, aimlessly jumping from article to article, and I somehow ended up at the page for "Misère game". When I got there, I found that there was no article or defenition, just the word "hi"

I thought "Ok, looks like routine vandalism, I'll just revert the page to an earlier version." But then something caught my eye. The same user who vandalised the page had made an edit to it just one minute earlier. Seemed interesting that he'd make two edits, so I decided to check out the first one.

This, friends, is where shit got mad trippy.

There I saw a copy of the original article, but where the short stub article ended, there had been placed a 37,630 word long completely nonsensical story about absolutely nothing.

This is what makes it truly bizarre. There were no other edits by the user, nowhere on his user page where he had any explanation, nothing on the talk page about it, and the story was nowhere else to be found on the internet. This means that he wrote it himself, and apparently didn't use it for anything else, at least not on the internet. I can't imagine he printed it out anywhere, because it would take nearly 60 pages. So basically, he wrote this preposterously lengthy story so he could post it on one of the most obscure wikipedia articles ever, only to immediately cover up the edit with another.

And what makes this all extra weird is that I found it and fixed the page barely an hour after he posted it.

One of these days, I'm going to read this entire story, just so his effort didn't go to waste. But I also tell you, the people of Newgrounds, so that you may see the insanity and appreciate it, and spread it to the far corners of the interweb, perhaps even making it some sort of new annoying fad.

And now, the bizarre, strange, and inexplicable science fiction story you've all been waiting to see.

BEHOLD!

Dead.

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 16:30:07

Well, that was... weird...

That has to be the most random thing in a while.

I don't take revenue from my profile.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 16:30:15

Woah... That's too long, I am not gunna read all of that. "Poverty Game?"

CLICK BELOW!!

RANDOM CLIP SHOW and other funny skits.

BBS Signature

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 16:32:41

thats weird, im not gonna bother reading it

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 16:34:16

At 5/18/06 04:30 PM, Shadow-LS wrote: Woah... That's too long, I am not gunna read all of that. "Poverty Game?"

Yes, this story was posted in an article about a type of game where the object is to "lose"

It's a small, defenition-type article that wouldn't get much traffic. That's what makes it extra weird. You'd think it would be posted on a high-traffic article that a lot of people would end up seeing, but no. As far as I know, I was the only person who actually knew about this until now, along with that other time I showed it to a couple of my friends.

Dead.

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 16:34:46

This game-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it

Stubs are Wikipedia entries that have not yet received substantial attention from the editors of Wikipedia, and as such do not yet contain enough information to be considered real articles. In other words, they are short or insufficient pieces of information and require additions to further increase Wikipedia's usefulness. The community values stubs as useful first steps toward complete articles. Anyone can complete them.

^_^

BBS Signature

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 16:35:08

I've put a warning template on his talk page.

What the hell are YOU staring at?!- Duckman

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 16:35:56

That is the coolest internet ever.

BBS Signature

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 16:38:09

Wow. That is really strange.

I wonder why the fuck someone would do that.

I am not responsible for the content of the post above.

BBS Signature

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 16:38:32

That makes me mad because I used to be a really good suporter of it and I had about 30 percent of my articles destroyed or completly reverted to somthing ike that

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 16:42:02

At 5/18/06 04:35 PM, JacksonHSR wrote: I've put a warning template on his talk page.

Dude, as I say, no other edits, at least not at the time I found it. He's not a repeat vandal or anything.

Apparently there's one more edit now, although it appears to be legitimate extended discussion of the article's subject.

Dead.

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 16:42:33

My eyes are bleeding. just thought you should know.

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 16:48:35

That dude has WAAAAAAY too much time on his hands.

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 16:50:47

Holy fuck.

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 16:52:55

At 5/18/06 04:48 PM, PirateKirby wrote: That dude has WAAAAAAY too much time on his hands.

So you're saying anyone who's written a story or a book has too much time on their hands? I think it's awesome that he's showing a weird creative outlet like that.

BBS Signature

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 16:53:34

At 5/18/06 04:35 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: That is the coolest internet ever.

Seconded.

It is also the most "WTF!" inducing thing on the Internet ever.

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 17:03:34

very weird, I wonder why he actually done it. For his own enjoyment or maybe some way to put a story on the internet without getting any bad comments about it(or even good comments).

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Devious Jordz

BBS Signature

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 17:12:03

Well, I just finished reading it. The only part that really confused me was this :

but other than that, the story is very amusing.

Look at what I found on Wikipedia

You're my banana

BBS Signature

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 17:18:06

Amazing, wonder if we can publish this baby. :D That would be truly awesome. Didn't read it yet but i'm sure I will. Maybe i'll do it as a book report. :3

May take a few days though...

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 17:18:14

At 5/18/06 04:53 PM, idOcrEatING wrote:
At 5/18/06 04:35 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: That is the coolest internet ever.
Seconded.

It is also the most "WTF!" inducing thing on the Internet ever.

There is are no words powerful enough to express what I feel about you guys or that story right now.

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 17:23:49

I don't get it?

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 17:23:57

i am going to print it out and read it

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 17:26:04

Tell me you put that on Word, in case someone edits it.
Or even better, let's make an article about the story on Wikipieda.

Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.

-Ambrose Bierce

"This sig, is fucking cool."

BBS Signature

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 17:29:28

ok weird i wonder who did that

http://eggfriedriece.blogspot.com/ http://twitter.com/EggfriedRiece Memes and SC2 Pro gaming posts and news! http://24a69c21.deb.gs <-- Free bangbros Usernames and P/ws

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 17:30:49

OMFG!

That is nuts! Who the hell has that much spare time!

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 17:35:29

Haha that is awesome, I might read it sometime later, dont have too much time on my hands at the moment.

Definately worth a bookmark though =).

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 17:36:38

At 5/18/06 05:26 PM, ChocloMan wrote: Tell me you put that on Word, in case someone edits it.
Or even better, let's make an article about the story on Wikipieda.

I've got the page and the story both backed up, and the story itself is in wikipedia's page history for misère games.

On another note, I say we collaborate some animators ans voice actors together to make this into a series of flash movies. One per chapter, and release them periodically. Anyone else think this would be funny?

Dead.

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 17:41:50

At 5/18/06 05:36 PM, Elfer wrote:

On another note, I say we collaborate some animators ans voice actors together to make this into a series of flash movies. One per chapter, and release them periodically. Anyone else think this would be funny?

With jerryjackson-like graphics?
Hell yes. Post it on the Flash forum.

Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.

-Ambrose Bierce

"This sig, is fucking cool."

BBS Signature

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 17:43:27

Ok, three guesses.

1) could be a low-quality computerized translation of a story that made sense originally, like from Japanese to English.

2) computer generated from the start somehow to seem to make sense.

3) one of those make-a-story threads that went way, way too far.

Response to Look at what I found on Wikipedia 2006-05-18 17:44:24

At 5/18/06 05:36 PM, Elfer wrote:

I think that would be an excellent idea.
If we get ahold of the original author I'm sure they won't mind.
However I cannot help with flash or voice so I would just have to support it.

BBS Signature