00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Rvillarreal123 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Time

1,788 Views | 38 Replies

Time 2005-08-25 17:56:25

Do you see time as a series of discrete events, a line through infinite perceptions or something else?

I see it as a dimension.

Response to Time 2005-08-25 17:57:28

OhOh trippy question...
I see time as a period of events. A time line if you will

Response to Time 2005-08-25 17:59:32

Time is a pretty interesting dimension.

By the Plank model (as i understand it anyway, i am by no means an expert), Time is a ray. It starts at zero and goes on presumably into infinity. So to say "What happened before zero Plank time?" Is equivalent to asking "What is north of the north pole?"

Response to Time 2005-08-25 20:21:25

I see time as a barier. It stops us from being at 2 places at the exact same time, and prevents ventures into the past. It keeps things moving forward. I also think that this barrier is a purple-ish color (don't ask why.)

Response to Time 2005-08-25 20:23:07

And it is related to politics... How?

BBS Signature

Response to Time 2005-08-25 20:24:02

I haven't been able to understand any beleifs on this other than the ray one.
Anybody care to enlighten me? And the purple barrier thing seems kind of interesting. Want to flesh it out?

Response to Time 2005-08-25 20:26:45

At 8/25/05 08:23 PM, Lidov wrote: And it is related to politics... How?

Shhhhhhh. It's related to politics in the same way that it's Santa Clause that gives me gifts every year. You just have to beleive.

Response to Time 2005-08-25 20:26:55

At 8/25/05 08:24 PM, 0wnage_Incarnate wrote: And the purple barrier thing seems kind of interesting. Want to flesh it out?

I just think purple is the most time-ish color. But seriously, I don't think time is really something entirely visible on a color spectrum. If anything I belive this barrier is made out of an unseen and undiscovered element. I also believe other dimensions are really just different types of matter that are not visible to us.

Response to Time 2005-08-25 20:42:18

Time is nothing but a dimension. Which one? I don't know. But in the book Flatland, there is an interesting tidbit on the Time Dimension. If time is the 4th dimension, then a 4th dimensional being would have the power to manipulate the flow of time...

Response to Time 2005-08-25 20:47:00

At 8/25/05 08:42 PM, fastbow wrote: Time is nothing but a dimension. Which one? I don't know. But in the book Flatland, there is an interesting tidbit on the Time Dimension. If time is the 4th dimension, then a 4th dimensional being would have the power to manipulate the flow of time...

I think time would, more likely, be the plane in which the other three dimensions are set. Sorta like a tunnel. But that's just me.

Response to Time 2005-08-25 20:49:15

At 8/25/05 08:47 PM, Empanado wrote: I think time would, more likely, be the plane in which the other three dimensions are set. Sorta like a tunnel. But that's just me.

Thats feasable. But then we have moles, who can manipulate the dirt around the tunel, so the possibility of time manipulative beings still exists...

Response to Time 2005-08-25 20:52:40

At 8/25/05 08:49 PM, fastbow wrote: Thats feasable. But then we have moles, who can manipulate the dirt around the tunel, so the possibility of time manipulative beings still exists...

Tomorrow I saw that you would post this.

Response to Time 2005-08-25 21:04:46

Empanado: the first living example of a 4th dimensional being...

If you didn't know how we would do it, I would say we capture you and dissect you for science...

Response to Time 2005-08-25 21:08:24

If time really is a dimension, then why can we not travel through it?

Response to Time 2005-08-25 21:08:34

I see it as a line with infitie perception, not discrete events

Response to Time 2005-08-25 21:09:30

At 8/25/05 09:08 PM, ninjasword wrote: If time really is a dimension, then why can we not travel through it?

We are 3 dimentional beings. Only a being in the Time Dimension, or a higher dimension, could manipulate time....

Response to Time 2005-08-25 21:23:52

time is a river and we are just twigs moving along on the current helpless to turn around or stop

Response to Time 2005-08-25 22:46:10

At 8/25/05 10:24 PM, Matomic wrote: I hope nobody here thinks that time is the fourth dimention. BECAUSE IT'S NOT!

Nobody said it was.
What is the 4th dimension, if youre so smart?
What prevents time from being the 4th dimension?

Response to Time 2005-08-25 23:05:46

At 8/25/05 10:28 PM, Matomic wrote:
At 8/25/05 08:21 PM, axeslash wrote: I see time as a barier. It keeps things moving forward. I also think that this barrier is a purple-ish color (don't ask why.)
DAMN! I think you might have synesthesia. That is, if you percive time in the normal way but ALSO as a color/colors. Googlize it.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I checked it out on Wikipedia. I don't have autism or any other type mental disease (except ADHD, if you think it really exists), so I guess I'm just one of those weird kinds of people who arbitrarily sees colors and what not.

Response to Time 2005-08-25 23:10:00

Time could just be infinite somethings.....

Response to Time 2005-08-26 00:33:50

time is a superficial creation of mankind to moniter his own decay.

Response to Time 2005-08-26 00:38:28

I think time is a hoax, we created it when we got here, but the had to have been something before we got here. So we say time began when we got here. ('we' encompasing.... well, everything) So if we created time, why does it control us? Heck, if i build something, I want to control it, not vice versa. People say time travel is impossible, that's because time isn't real! How can one travel through something that isn't there? I wrote a loooong poem about all this, but I can't seem to find it in my portfolio... If i do, I'll be sure to post it...

Response to Time 2005-08-26 00:51:34

Since we can do fourth dimensional (and nth dimensional, for that matter) calculations, it would seem as if time would be a little easier to grasp if it were simply another dimension. Time can be manipulated, it can be slowed down. We can think Einstein for this gem of a discovery. Time is related to speed somehow, since the faster you are going, the less you are affected by time, thus time is not the universal "independant variable" as is so commonly accepted. For all practical purposes, yes, but this is theoretical time. Since time can be manipulated within the 3rd dimension, that also makes it seem to me that it is not, in fact, the fourth dimension. However, why does velocity have an effect on time, what does simply going faster have to do with the progression of time?

Seeing as how there is an inverse relationship between speed and time, is it possible that the two are simply opposites of each other? If so, would that explain a state suspended animation (most practically accomplished through freezing) theoretically allowing a person to advance in time unscathed, seeing as how in a state of suspended animation, a person's molecules are moving substantially slower than normal? It seems like it works both ways, which seems to support the idea that speed and time are opposite values. Of course, there must be a substantially large or small coefficient (depending on which side of the equation it's on), seeing as how you have to be going extremely fast or slow in order to have any effect on time.

Think you're pretty clever...

BBS Signature

Response to Time 2005-08-26 00:53:32

At 8/25/05 08:23 PM, Lidov wrote: And it is related to politics... How?

It relates to politics in that it's a subject a bit too complex for the gibbering, unwashed masses of the general forum to comprehend.

Dead.

Response to Time 2005-08-26 00:54:24

Gunter, how much research do you do before you jump into a topic?

Response to Time 2005-08-26 00:55:42

At 8/26/05 12:54 AM, DeadlyOpulence wrote: Gunter, how much research do you do before you jump into a topic?

For this topic? Several years.

BBS Signature

Response to Time 2005-08-26 00:58:03

At 8/26/05 12:55 AM, Gunter45 wrote:
For this topic? Several years.

Really? And where do you glean all of this information?

Response to Time 2005-08-26 01:07:03

At 8/26/05 12:55 AM, Gunter45 wrote: For this topic? Several years.

Are you an engineering or physics major or something?

Response to Time 2005-08-26 01:07:53

At 8/26/05 12:58 AM, DeadlyOpulence wrote: Really? And where do you glean all of this information?

The stuff about the 4th dimensional calculations was from Differential Equations. I've done 4th dimensional calculations, they aren't that tough, they just take longer, once you know how to do multi-dimensional calculations, you can do them in any number of dimensions you want, it just gets really messy really quick.

The stuff about Einstein's Theory of Relativity is widely known physics at this point, it's been around for decades. The basic premise is that time slows down as you approach the speed of light.

The theoretical stuff is the part I've been thinking about for years now. Time has always fascinated me. If you think about it, what I said about time and velocity being opposites makes sense. At least for increasing velocities. The part about freezing I was just playing around with now. That part is flat-out wrong. I mistakenly used the outside world as a reference, a stupid mistake, since it's the object that's getting frozen. Both freezing and speeding up cause time to slow down for an object, however, the only reason why cryogenic freezing would slow down time has nothing to do with relativity, it's just a matter of biology.

That would mean that the relationship between time and velocity is opposite, however, instead of having no upper limit, it just becomes logarithmic towards the top and eventually reaches an asymptote.

BBS Signature

Response to Time 2005-08-26 01:10:51

Are you dumbing this down for us? Or am I actually understanding all this, not that I'd be too suprised...