00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge

3,756,385 Views | 87,879 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2018-12-31 15:43:23

At 12/31/18 03:35 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: It would be very interesting to see if anybody would actually want to give XP away. Maybe to hit a certain lucky number?

Ah yeah, maybe! People could stick at their favorite spot and just give out any future gains as charity. :)

That would be pretty cool...

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2018-12-31 16:48:18

At 12/31/18 03:43 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 12/31/18 03:35 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: It would be very interesting to see if anybody would actually want to give XP away. Maybe to hit a certain lucky number?
Ah yeah, maybe! People could stick at their favorite spot and just give out any future gains as charity. :)

I have seen users request to stay at a certain number in the past. Offering charity would be an unique option.

That would be pretty cool...

It would be a radical concept. Maybe too radical?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2018-12-31 17:29:43

At 12/31/18 04:48 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: I have seen users request to stay at a certain number in the past. Offering charity would be an unique option.

Yeah I know. :) Myself I am sort of intrigued by the idea of staying at 66,666... but at the same time it just feels so counter-productive to stop at any particular amount if you're still planning to be around. I'd regret not going further while I had the chance.

Maybe! XD Either way probably not a feature they'd prioritize in adding in... would personally rather get a little bit boosted account-security instead of this. Two-pass for starters.

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2018-12-31 23:32:35

At 12/31/18 05:29 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 12/31/18 04:48 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: I have seen users request to stay at a certain number in the past. Offering charity would be an unique option.
Yeah I know. :) Myself I am sort of intrigued by the idea of staying at 66,666...

That would be really cool.

but at the same time it just feels so counter-productive to stop at any particular amount if you're still planning to be around. I'd regret not going further while I had the chance.

You could maybe do that when you retire. Everybody has to retire at some point.

Maybe! XD Either way probably not a feature they'd prioritize in adding in... would personally rather get a little bit boosted account-security instead of this. Two-pass for starters.

Boosted Account security. What is that?

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-01 06:25:30

At 12/31/18 11:32 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: That would be really cool.

:)

Yeah we don't live forever so... it's possible...

I like the idea that an account could actually be handed down from generation to generation though. So far don't know of any one that has.

Well two-pass in particular would be adding an extra verification to login, via email preferably. That way brute-forcing or phishing for a password won't have any effect at all, assuming you have secure email. Account security overall could just really use a boost.

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-01 15:10:45

At 1/1/19 06:25 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 12/31/18 11:32 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: That would be really cool.
)

:)

Yeah we don't live forever so... it's possible...

Yes, even you will have to retire at some point.

I like the idea that an account could actually be handed down from generation to generation though. So far don't know of any one that has.

That is a horrible idea. Everything has to end. Why would you want another person to have to use your account? They should have their own account. Forcing somebody else to use your private account, is just wrong.

Well two-pass in particular would be adding an extra verification to login, via email preferably. That way brute-forcing or phishing for a password won't have any effect at all, assuming you have secure email. Account security overall could just really use a boost.

That does sound cool. The more security the better.

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-01 15:14:59 (edited 2019-01-01 15:16:20)

At 1/1/19 03:10 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Yes, even you will have to retire at some point.

Well we did speak about cryogenic freezing and potential immortality earlier so... guess we'll see what the future holds. ;)

That is a horrible idea. Everything has to end. Why would you want another person to have to use your account? They should have their own account. Forcing somebody else to use your private account, is just wrong.

It'd be a legacy though. Like a house, or a business, passed down from generation to generation, cared for by all it's contenders... all adding their own flare to it too. It's cool to make your own thing too... but I like the idea of caring for what you have rather than always building something new in the rubble of old. The past's something to cherish and hone, not just cast aside in the name of 'progress'. Reinventing the wheel every time.

Not by force, though. Course it'd have to be a voluntary thing.

That does sound cool. The more security the better.

Indeed!

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-02 03:54:42

97,000 Saves

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-02 16:34:17

At 1/1/19 03:14 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 1/1/19 03:10 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Yes, even you will have to retire at some point.
Well we did speak about cryogenic freezing and potential immortality earlier so... guess we'll see what the future holds. ;)

If that happens it could prevent people from retiring from anything. Especially their jobs and careers.

It'd be a legacy though. Like a house, or a business, passed down from generation to generation, cared for by all it's contenders... all adding their own flare to it too. It's cool to make your own thing too... but I like the idea of caring for what you have rather than always building something new in the rubble of old. The past's something to cherish and hone, not just cast aside in the name of 'progress'. Reinventing the wheel every time.

It the wrong hands, passing down an account could be terrible. Imagine future generations being unable to reach the top of the charts, because of an older account being reused. It seems greedy and really unfair. Why would future new accounts even try, if they had to compete with an account that has been active for 50 plus years. The more I think about it, the worst it sounds.

Not by force, though. Course it'd have to be a voluntary thing.

I like the one user per account concept. I think it should always remain that way.

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-03 03:03:41

EXP Rank 126

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-03 05:03:52 (edited 2019-01-03 05:10:12)

At 1/2/19 04:34 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: If that happens it could prevent people from retiring from anything. Especially their jobs and careers.

When phrased that way it actually sounds like a potentially pretty depressing future. :/

It the wrong hands, passing down an account could be terrible. Imagine future generations being unable to reach the top of the charts, because of an older account being reused. It seems greedy and really unfair. Why would future new accounts even try, if they had to compete with an account that has been active for 50 plus years. The more I think about it, the worst it sounds.

It's not so different from how it is now though, with all the top spots on the rankings taken by users who just keep persevering; rarely letting in any new blood. I believe rankings split up by phases would solve all issues like this. If lists would show the Top 100 of say the past year by default, then everyone could get in on the competition as soon as they sign up. Lists would be relevant for everyone. You'd have an all-time list too for the true OG's, but it'd be fun with one that really shows everyone that's active, both new and old. As the years pass you could start splitting up lists by decade,or century, or so on. :) Options for all ages and groups. And this shouldn't be hard to implement either.

I like the one user per account concept. I think it should always remain that way.

Yeah me too, but when I go... I like the idea that my account could live on, too. Does feel a bit unfair some users get others to deposit for them when they're away though. IMO it's just not a real competition that way. I agree in regard to one user at a time, as in: their lifetime.

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-03 14:41:18

At 1/3/19 05:03 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 1/2/19 04:34 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: If that happens it could prevent people from retiring from anything. Especially their jobs and careers.
When phrased that way it actually sounds like a potentially pretty depressing future. :/

Currently, there are many managers and higher ups that will not retire until they are forced out. 65 is no longer that age. Some people work well into their 70's or older. Just imagine waiting 30 plus years to get a promotion, because a senior citizen refuses to quit.

Now, imagine that with people that live forever. You could literally be stuck in the lowest position of your company your entire career. That would be horrible.

It's not so different from how it is now though, with all the top spots on the rankings taken by users who just keep persevering; rarely letting in any new blood.

I disagree. I started out being a nobody and a nothing. I busted my ass trying to reach the top of different categories. It took a decade of so, to finally be in the top ten of some lists. If all the people in front of me, had handed down their account to others, I would still be stuck way at the bottom. People need to be able to advance through hard work. If not, they will become stagnant and stop caring.

I believe rankings split up by phases would solve all issues like this. If lists would show the Top 100 of say the past year by default, then everyone could get in on the competition as soon as they sign up. Lists would be relevant for everyone. You'd have an all-time list too for the true OG's, but it'd be fun with one that really shows everyone that's active, both new and old. As the years pass you could start splitting up lists by decade,or century, or so on. :) Options for all ages and groups. And this shouldn't be hard to implement either.

That is not a bad idea, and could be useful someday. However, I can not express how much that I am against having people share accounts and passing them when they retire or pass away. Let me try to explain it this way, I go away for ten years and come back. I see CyberDevil. I write him a PM and talk about the past. Your son answers and is like, Who are you? It would be so crazy. CyberDevil is you. It is unique just like you.

Yeah me too, but when I go... I like the idea that my account could live on, too. Does feel a bit unfair some users get others to deposit for them when they're away though. IMO it's just not a real competition that way. I agree in regard to one user at a time, as in: their lifetime.

Yes, that is totally unfair. Just like The Pimp account, that has been passed around for years. In my opinion, that account should be removed. One account is one person. That is the only way to keep things fair, or at least as fair as possible.

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-03 16:06:14

At 1/3/19 02:41 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Currently, there are many managers and higher ups that will not retire until they are forced out. 65 is no longer that age. Some people work well into their 70's or older. Just imagine waiting 30 plus years to get a promotion, because a senior citizen refuses to quit.

Over here at least it seems more like it's in the government's interest to keep people working longer more so than the people themselves. The pension age's moved from 65 to 67 a while back, now I think there's some kind of benefit for those that work their way up to 75... everything to cut down on pension costs. In that regard it might be in a company's best interest to keep the old-timers working, too. Better a paycheck than just pension. If they die before they can cash out on that it'll be to their benefit. Savage world.

Now, imagine that with people that live forever. You could literally be stuck in the lowest position of your company your entire career. That would be horrible.

Yeah, not a very bright future for the young... though it's a good thing competence is still related to age. :) The brain just doesn't function as well at a higher age.

But the way social order's all centered around a career... it's so wrong. People should have work they're passionate about from day 1. And no waiting until you retire to finally live your life. There's just too much profiteering involved there IMO.

I disagree. I started out being a nobody and a nothing. I busted my ass trying to reach the top of different categories. It took a decade of so, to finally be in the top ten of some lists. If all the people in front of me, had handed down their account to others, I would still be stuck way at the bottom. People need to be able to advance through hard work. If not, they will become stagnant and stop caring.

Yes, but you signed up relatively early on. The site hadn't been around a decade yet, and the Portal hadn't been around more than a few years. At that point it was still possible to catch up, and true, even today it's possible if you're dedicated enough, but if this place stays around and people actually spend a lifetime raising their stats... will new users really be willing to spend their entire life attempting to surpass them? We're not at the point yet where there's a generational gap between accounts, but I think it'll become a problem getting new users motivated enough to compete regardless of if people hand down their accounts or no. Those who were here from the beginning just have too big a head start.

Just passing on accounts to random strangers though... agree that doesn't feel right. But that wouldn't be as big a problem either if the primary rankings had shorter time margins.

That is not a bad idea, and could be useful someday. However, I can not express how much that I am against having people share accounts and passing them when they retire or pass away. Let me try to explain it this way, I go away for ten years and come back. I see CyberDevil. I write him a PM and talk about the past. Your son answers and is like, Who are you? It would be so crazy. CyberDevil is you. It is unique just like you.

Hmm... well I get your point, but relating that to real life: isn't it just as awkward if you come back to an old home, or go visit a friend, and they've moved, or are dead, and someone else answers in their place? To me this account is like a home, more so than a person. It's a vessel rather than an identity. More a one-room apartment than a mansion, though, as there's only one inhabitant, but when I leave... I'd rather someone else move in than everything just left to decay and wilt away.

Yes, that is totally unfair. Just like The Pimp account, that has been passed around for years. In my opinion, that account should be removed. One account is one person. That is the only way to keep things fair, or at least as fair as possible.

Woah, is that posted about somewhere, the Pimp account being a group effort? One person at a time, in that person's lifetime, I'd say. Seems we'll disagree a bit here.

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-04 16:34:01

After a long hard day of avoiding work I've finally accomplished a milestone that I feel is worth a little something.

100,000 Medal Points

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-04 18:28:50

At 1/3/19 04:06 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 1/3/19 02:41 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:

Pimp account used by different users.

Woah, is that posted about somewhere, the Pimp account being a group effort? One person at a time, in that person's lifetime, I'd say. Seems we'll disagree a bit here.

Yes, it has been passed around so it could be the first to reach level 60.

At 1/4/19 04:34 PM, Fro wrote: After a long hard day of avoiding work I've finally accomplished a milestone that I feel is worth a little something.

100,000 Medal Points

Great job. Are you going to stay at that number.

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-04 18:40:34

At 1/4/19 04:34 PM, Fro wrote: 100,000 Medal Points

That is pretty awesome! Congrats! Worth a lot of lack of work for all the work it takes to get there.

At 1/4/19 06:28 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Yes, it has been passed around so it could be the first to reach level 60.

Any public mentions of that though...?

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-04 19:12:40

Living forever would be crazy, especially if newgrounds is still around. But I don't deposit for the ranks, I just want to unlock all of the level icons. I'm not even planning to reach 100k exp

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-04 22:57:22

At 1/4/19 06:28 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:

I wont actively search for play medal games anymore, but will play them if I find one fun.

I really stretched myself getting that many.

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-05 03:22:04

I reached level 27! That didn't take long at all

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-05 03:56:52

EXP Rank 125

At 1/4/19 07:12 PM, Kieran wrote: Living forever would be crazy, especially if newgrounds is still around. But I don't deposit for the ranks, I just want to unlock all of the level icons. I'm not even planning to reach 100k exp

Just wait till you get to the final one. ;) It's like the level after levels.

At 1/4/19 09:27 PM, NekoMika wrote: While rumors did float for awhile... his post in 2006, more or less just makes note ONLY he deposits on his account, no one else deposits for him.

Ah, good find, at least it's only a rumor, then. Definitely all the more impressive if he is the one and only.

At 1/5/19 03:22 AM, Void wrote: I reached level 27! That didn't take long at all

Didn't recognize the name but good thing you kept yer profile pic... there's a link! :D Congrats on that!

Good things are worth the wait and all.

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-06 05:40:11

219,000 Total

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-07 03:23:56

At 1/4/19 07:12 PM, Kieran wrote: Living forever would be crazy, especially if newgrounds is still around. But I don't deposit for the ranks, I just want to unlock all of the level icons. I'm not even planning to reach 100k exp

It would be a great experience. You can unlock all the level icons if try hard enough.

At 1/4/19 10:57 PM, Fro wrote:
At 1/4/19 06:28 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
I wont actively search for play medal games anymore, but will play them if I find one fun.

I really stretched myself getting that many.

I know how tough it can be trying to reach a set goal.

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-07 05:20:49 (edited 2019-01-07 05:20:58)

118,000 B/P

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-09 14:47:52

At 1/9/19 05:24 AM, NekoMika wrote: 500 fans

Fantastic! :D Congrats!

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-10 00:21:45

I've reached Level 44 a few days ago.

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-11 02:25:35

At 1/5/19 03:22 AM, Void wrote: I reached level 27! That didn't take long at all

Congrats on reaching level 27.

At 1/6/19 05:40 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: 219,000 Total

That is a very nice total.

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-11 17:38:25

At 1/10/19 12:21 AM, Nimhster2 wrote: I've reached Level 44 a few days ago.

Congrats on that!

At 1/11/19 02:25 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: That is a very nice total.

Thank you!

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-11 17:39:17

At 1/10/19 09:12 AM, NekoMika wrote: Thanks, I'm hoping to actually put out some music and art this year. Wonder if I can get another 100 fans this year, would be nice.

A hundred a year hmm... pretty fast pace but maybe not impossible.:) Seems like the more you get the easier it is to get more too. Fan count's a bit like a magnet.

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-13 04:48:55

At 1/12/19 03:07 PM, NekoMika wrote: Passed 55,555 medal points

Nice! :D One of those special numbers!

BBS Signature

Response to Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge 2019-01-13 12:53:30

Well, after 10 years on NG, I have finally reached level 60! I'll be retiring for now, hopefully be back soon. I'd like to thank the staff and of course the community for the countless hours of enjoyment I spent on this site all these years.

$$$ | Strawberry Dodge | Abusive Reviews! | Sig by TheDingo

BBS Signature