00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Drake-Star just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

audio recording?

801 Views | 1 Reply
New Topic Respond to this Topic

audio recording? 2005-08-19 07:37:24

Hi got an audio related question
I want to buy a microphone so I can record voices for in flash problem is I don't know anything about it and the peole in the shops aren't really helpfull either. So I will try it here. First of all I would like to know.

Wich specs are importent? and between wich numbers do I get good quality? (I don't want a really really expensive one)

Wich programms are good for recording?
In some flashes there is a lot of sound/fuzz during the clip. How do I get rid of that?

any names of other programs that could be helpfull or fun?

some links to sites with tutorials or hints.

I hope some of you can get me started.
thanks in advance

Response to audio recording? 2005-08-19 08:19:18

Firstly, you'll want a microphone with a good frequency response. The human ear can pick up anything from around 20hz - 20,000hz (20khz), so try to find a mic with as close as possible a frequency response to that.

Also, you'll need to decide whether you want a tube mic, dynamic mic, condenser mic, ribbon mic etc. For cheap, all you can really get is a dynamic mic, and good ones start from around the $60 mark. For voice recording, you can't go wrong with a Shure SM-57 or SM-58. The only difference between the two is that the SM-57 is what's known as uni-directional (picks up sound sources directly in front of it) whereas the SM-58 is omni-directional (picks up sound all around it).

The SM-57 is more commonly used as an instrument mic, but it still makes for an admirable voice mic, so see if you can find one.

With a good quality microphone, you won't need to worry about noise, crackle, hum etc. All you need to do is make sure you are isolated, so the mic doesn't pick up background noise. Only really a big problem with condesner mics though.

Software wise, I would reccomend Cool Edit Pro, or Audacity.