00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Database Server Upgrade (update)

8,578 Views | 84 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 16:37:12

At 8/16/05 04:18 PM, Lex0r wrote: You said the old one had:
3 x 73gb - which is a total of: 219GB

And the new one has:
6 x 36gb - which is: 216GB

Actually what I said was:

3 x 73gb 15k drives in Raid 5 vs. 6 x 36gb 15k drives in Raid 10 plus one hot spare

RAID stands for Redunant Array of Inexpensive Disks or Redundant Array of Independent Disks (depending on who you ask). The RAID levels are important to note when computing disk space. In a RAID 5 configuration one disk is used for parity information therefore your effective space is N-1 or in this case, 146gb. In a RAID 10 (or 0+1) configuration, you are essentially striping a mirror (or mirroring a stripe) and your effective space is N/2 or in this case 108gb. For more details on RAID check out:

http://en.wikipedia...of_inexpensive_disks

It's a great read for anyone who's into technology or would like to be. You'll get a better understanding of why RAID is used and why having a hot spare is beneficial (especially when the datacenter is 30 minutes away).

Anyway, back to your initial question. While we will essentially have less space than before, storage space is pretty much our last concern when it comes to the database server. What we're most concerned about is input/output wait. I/O Wait is the time the cpu's spend waiting for data to be retrieved. For our database server, this is the largest contributor to slow query responses. By moving from a 3 disk raid5 config to a 6 disk raid 10 config we'll be speeding up the disk access quite a bit in hopes to keep those queries moving along at a nice clip.

Oh, just a quick note for the linux users out there. I had forgotten to mention the move from EXT3 to ReiserFS for the database storage and log arrays. This too will speed things up a bit.

I hope this helps to explain things a bit better, but if not, ask some more questions and I'll see what I can do ;)

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 16:45:33

At 8/16/05 03:36 PM, Tim wrote: 9GB PC3200 DDR Memory

Shite, I could do with a bit of that, Battlefield 2 eats my RAM like no tomorrow.

BBS Signature

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 16:59:30

Sometimes the movies stop loading and to see any other movie I need to restart my internet, will this be fixed with the new server? Sounds like the "not particularly caring" for storage space will make that more targeted, yes? I hope so.

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 17:04:49

you should put a edit post button. thats one big problem.

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 17:04:57

At 8/16/05 04:59 PM, Maniac_13 wrote: Sometimes the movies stop loading and to see any other movie I need to restart my internet, will this be fixed with the new server?

That's nothing to do with the database server (and quite possibly nothing to do with any of the webservers or the fileserver - I would look into issues with your own computer and connection there).

Sounds like the "not particularly caring" for storage space will make that more targeted, yes?

No - you're confusing physical files on the site (that are stored on the fileserver) with database storage, which is an entirely different thing in this case.

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 17:14:57

sweet, i cant wait and w00t for brigin tims post count up lol.

BBS Signature

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 17:17:17

If I thought that the old one was awesome, that mean that this new one is even... uh... awesome-er?

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 17:18:57

Talk amongst yourselves..I'll give you a topic: Rhode Island, it's not a road, nor an island...discuss

Coffee Talk with Tim. Ha! Genius! SNL is great!

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 17:23:21

Thanks for the heads up.

For the last time, i don't know how to rip a CD!!

BBS Signature

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 17:34:41

At 8/16/05 03:45 PM, -Icy- wrote:
At 8/16/05 03:41 PM, FullyClothedMike wrote: Prime Minister system?
Its portal management.... idiot

I think he was being sarcastic and actually it's personal message.

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 17:40:27

yay for the more better server

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 17:46:13

OMFG 9 GB RAM? HOLY **** HOW U DO DAT?

u guys pwn to the max.

By the way, I have just been wondering recently...:

How much bandwidth do you guys reserve per month? I estimate around 500 GB... but I don't know. Must be a bitch to pay.

No more animated sigs. :(

BBS Signature

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 18:01:08

Woah, I never even knew there was going to be a PM system implemented.

This will be good, thanks for the good news Tim.

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 18:03:57

Its runs nicely now, cant wait for an improvement on this, of course after an hour of "oh fuck i have nothing to do, ooo,look, a cat" then it will be worth it.

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 18:06:46

how many fileservers does ng have to store all the flashes? how much gb are they?

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 18:09:12

At 8/16/05 05:46 PM, TwinsenDude wrote: OMFG 9 GB RAM? HOLY **** HOW U DO DAT?

u guys pwn to the max.

By the way, I have just been wondering recently...:

How much bandwidth do you guys reserve per month? I estimate around 500 GB... but I don't know. Must be a bitch to pay.

im quite sure it is ALOT more than that

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 18:23:26

I was in Rhode Island a few weeks ago
They talk kind of weird
they say their "a's" weird and dont say the ing they just say for example "nothin"
i laughed
new state motto?:the queers and quakers state

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 18:37:56

is there any chance user-search or content-search will be back?

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 18:47:19

At 8/16/05 04:37 PM, Tim wrote: For our database server, this is the largest contributor to slow query responses. By moving from a 3 disk raid5 config to a 6 disk raid 10 config we'll be speeding up the disk access quite a bit in hopes to keep those queries moving along at a nice clip.

I'm just curious (Hope I ain't taking too much of your time but I'm trying to learn stuff I usually wouldn't but it's for my "Newgrounds knowledge"). =P

As I understand, a RAID system is multiple hard drives working and recognized as one single hard drive.

Especially as it's sayed that the RAID system can be used for one large storage for those who works with audio and movie editing, I understand it as if hard drives connected as a RAID system would work as just one single hard drive.

Haha, I ain't really sure what my question is but how does the operating system give one task to each hard drive as it would be the same thing as giving multiple tasks to one hard drive.

So even though six hard drives should be able to take a larger amount of requests, would it do so when it's connected in the way so it's recognized as one hard drive?

I don't know anything about operating systems or things like this at all in general but I'm enthusiastic when it comes to this thing.

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 18:53:40

At 8/16/05 05:18 PM, chaos_drone wrote: Coffee Talk with Tim. Ha! Genius! SNL is great!

Ah, I'm forclempt. (sp)

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 19:02:39

WOW! A NEW ONE!!! YAYA!!!!!!!!!

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 19:28:45

Noice.

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 19:32:51

At 8/16/05 03:36 PM, Tim wrote: Talk amongst yourselves..I'll give you a topic: Rhode Island, it's not a road, nor an island...discuss

It's a state

O OHSNAPE.

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 19:47:36

At 8/16/05 06:47 PM, Andersson wrote:

:... recognized as one hard drive...
But it physically isn't. It takes real time to move the read/write heads on a hard drive, just like the laser on your CD player. And hard drives "know" exactly what position a file is in. They don't scan the entire drive looking for the right file. They just go to the approximate area and look for the position. Like an apartment complex. Go to the correct building, traverse to the correct appartment.

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 19:57:13

At 8/16/05 03:39 PM, BobRicci wrote: don't know wat the technical stuff means but seems like a big upgrade...

i'm happy!!!

LOL same here man, i know all of that stuff, is cool useful or important in some way. Upgrades on NG could never hurt, well i mean ones like these.

BBS Signature

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 20:03:23

At 8/16/05 07:47 PM, thelordofcheese wrote: Stuff.

Yeah, but that didn't really answer my question.

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 20:06:27

Kick ass new server, and the pc, OMG, that is a dream for most hardcore pc users, anyone notice that you don't see the score of a new flash? Like when you voted? I think it is cool, more exciting :D.

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 20:16:11

At 8/16/05 08:06 PM, pukepuddle wrote: Kick ass new server, and the pc, OMG, that is a dream for most hardcore pc users, anyone notice that you don't see the score of a new flash? Like when you voted? I think it is cool, more exciting :D.

I'm in both camps. Like the mystery, but love seeing submissions I really hate go down down down.

And Ander, I really didn't catch on to your exact question. Just gave you some more info.

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 20:50:10

At 8/16/05 05:46 PM, TwinsenDude wrote: How much bandwidth do you guys reserve per month? I estimate around 500 GB... but I don't know. Must be a bitch to pay.

This is just for swf files served for yesterday and doesn't include pages on the site, images, etc: 5.0443 Terabytes. That's around average per day, at the moment.

At 8/16/05 06:37 PM, Inglor wrote: is there any chance user-search or content-search will be back?

Good God, no. Take steps forward, not back.

Response to Database Server Upgrade (update) 2005-08-16 20:51:58

So what IS Rhode Island?

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature