00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

AkiniM just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Don't pass up a good book.

1,015 Views | 10 Replies

Don't pass up a good book. 2005-08-12 00:12:36

Ever since I've been three I've been an avid reader, but for some reason, whenever I was assigned a book to read in English class, I would lose any and all desire to read it. I'm sure it had less to do with the actual book and more with me rebelling against assigned work, but lately I began wondering about what I missed. So I made it a personal goal for this summer to read as many former English assignments as possible and I can tell you I'm regretting having never read most of these books.

The Good Earth: One of the best books I've ever read, I blazed through it in two days.

A Tale of Two Cities: I've never been a huge Dickens fan, but an interesting read none-the-less.

Cannery Row: Of Mice and Men was one of the few books I did read and I enjoyed it so I don't know why I passed this one up.

Beowulf: Another good book, especially if you're into the history of literature

The Canterbury Tales: Very well written and entertaining, even for an uncomplete book.

Brave New World: I just started reading this one and I can't for the life of me think of a reason why I would have passed it up, seems to be right up my alley.

So to anyone in any English class, read the books you're assigned. Its going to be the most entertaining homework you'll get so try to restrain yourself from using sparknotes.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Don't pass up a good book. 2005-08-12 00:13:44

ive read Tale of Two Cities...i thought it was a good idea but just way too much fluff in between. he could have said the same story in a third of the size

Response to Don't pass up a good book. 2005-08-12 00:14:05

At 8/12/05 12:12 AM, Jercurpac wrote: Ever since I've been three I've been an avid reader, but for some reason, whenever I was assigned a book to read in English class, I would lose any and all desire to read it.

I'm in the same boat man. I love to read for fun, but if a class gives me a book to read I have NO desire to even start it.

Response to Don't pass up a good book. 2005-08-12 00:14:37

I once read a book.
With pages and words and everything.

/b/

BBS Signature

Response to Don't pass up a good book. 2005-08-12 00:14:46

talking about books on the internet ...................

Response to Don't pass up a good book. 2005-08-12 00:14:51

Beowulf kick ass with his strength. Have you tried to read the old old English version? That's hard.

Response to Don't pass up a good book. 2005-08-12 00:16:32

At 8/12/05 12:13 AM, mastercrazy89 wrote: ive read Tale of Two Cities...i thought it was a good idea but just way too much fluff in between. he could have said the same story in a third of the size

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Dickens was paid by how many words he wrote. One of the reasons I'm not a fan.

BBS Signature

Response to Don't pass up a good book. 2005-08-12 00:16:35

wow ur a reader. u have good spelling and stuff. Ur Cool!!! me, personnally, i dont read "real" books i just read manga all day :D

Response to Don't pass up a good book. 2005-08-12 00:17:26

At the same time don't read bad books

The Scarlet Letter: Absolute crap, I love to read and I couldn't even finish this, pathetic.

Romeo and Juliet: I don't know why, I just could not get into this story, and it wasn't the fact it was in play format, I just didn't like it.

Then there are books that people always under rate

Animal Farm: Great book, I don't know what everyoen's problem with it is.

Great Gatsby: One of the best books I've ever read.

The Fall of the House of Usher: Alot of people say it is hard to follow, but it is a good read nonetheless.

Response to Don't pass up a good book. 2005-08-12 00:18:43

You probably diddn't want to read them because of the fact that eventually you would have to do a whole bunch of work on it, and how it sorta ruins the fun in reading since you got a limited time to read it. Thats one of the reasons why people don't want to read, in my opinion.

Just read 'The Hero with a Thousand Faces' by Joe Campbell. Now I need a new book. PM me suggestions!

BBS Signature

Response to Don't pass up a good book. 2005-08-12 00:24:00

At 8/12/05 12:18 AM, JackRabbitStudios wrote: You probably diddn't want to read them because of the fact that eventually you would have to do a whole bunch of work on it, and how it sorta ruins the fun in reading since you got a limited time to read it.

I'm a fast reader so the 3-4 weeks they ususally gave us to finish a books was more than enough. I was very anti-homework in general, when I did an assignment I'd do a good job on it and I wouldn't complain, but that was rare. I wish my teachers were harsher on me, by the end of high school I was a master at know which assignments I hat to do and which ones I could weasel out of without getting reprimanded.

BBS Signature