00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

YubaOfficial just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Job Interview... HELP

799 Views | 10 Replies

Job Interview... HELP 2001-04-10 18:22:37

Ok, so I have the most important job interview I'm ever likely to have tomorrow and I'm shitting myself. I probably won't sleep tonight so post as much useful advice as you can and I'll try and absorb it all before the time comes...

Response to Job Interview... HELP 2001-04-10 18:26:13

OVERDRESS

Response to Job Interview... HELP 2001-04-10 18:41:57

make sure theyve never heard of newgrounds jk

Response to Job Interview... HELP 2001-04-10 18:59:57

At 4/10/01 06:41 PM, Vj20 wrote: make sure theyve never heard of newgrounds jk

...uhhhh...yeah. How 'bout you tell them that you saved orphans in Cambodia?

Job Interview... HELP

Response to Job Interview... HELP 2001-04-10 19:18:08

At 4/10/01 06:22 PM, aladinsane wrote: Ok, so I have the most important job interview I'm ever likely to have tomorrow and I'm shitting myself. I probably won't sleep tonight so post as much useful advice as you can and I'll try and absorb it all before the time comes...

commonly asked interview questions, practice your responses:

Why do you want this job?

Tell me about your last position.

What did you like the most about your last position? What did you like the least?

How do you handle pressure?

What are your strengths? Weaknesses?

Why were you out of work so long? (if applicable)

Why should I hire you?

Tell me about yourself?

What are your long-range career goals?

What type of work environment do you prefer?

What achievements have given you a feeling of satisfaction?

Talk about a problem you encountered in your work and how you resolved it.

What was your worst failure?

Why do you want to leave your current job?

How long a commitment could you make to this job?

Do you have any questions?

What are your salary expectations?

Questions you should ask:

When would the position begin?

What is the most important aspect of the position?

How would I spend my time in a typical day?

Who would I report to?

Who would report to me?

Is this a new position? If not, where is the person who had the position before me?

Who would I be working with?

What the employer really wants to know:

Could you handle to job effectively?

Do you have a positive, enthusiastic attitude?

Are you normal? Do you have morals?

Would hiring you reflect badly (or well) on him or her?

Before the interview, review, and reflect on the information in your resume. Also review sample interview questions.

Know your abilities and the skill areas you have developed through coursework and experiences (paid or volunteer)

Be able to articulate your career goals - both long and short term. Be familiar with your work experience and be able to discuss past and present duties, responsibilites and accomplishments.

Know the position you are applying for. Don't ask "What does the company do?" or "What jobs are open?". Be organized.

Research the company prior to your interview. Find out as much information you can about the company's history, purpose, reputation, proposed growth and organizational structure.

During the interview, project a positive, confident and enthusiastic attitude in your own capabilities to perform. Exhibit a willingness and desire to learn.

Always be on time for your interview. Never let a potential employer wait.

Salary should not be discussed until you understand the responsibilities of the position. If asked, state that you would like more information before discussing salary, and follow up with an appropriate question about the position. When money comes up, know the norm and give a range, not a single figure. Don't undersell yourself.

Immediately after the interview, thank the interviewer for his/her time and the opportunity to learn about their company.

Before you leave the interview, express your interest in working for the company in that, or any other related position.

Follow up the interview with a brief "Thank You" letter riminding the interviewer of your interest in the position and your special skills as related to the position.

Bathe and dress as you would for your position.

Don't pretend you know it all.

Express yourself clearly.

Show that you have a purpose and goals.

Show interest and enthusiasm.

Be confident and poised.

Don't over-emphasize money.

Don't make excuses.

Be courteous and well mannered.

Don't speak badly of past employers.

Look the interviewer in the eye.

Give a strong hand shake.

Show interest in the company.

Be on time to the interview.

Ask questions about the job.

Give definite responses.

I hope this is helpfull.

Response to Job Interview... HELP 2001-04-10 19:20:22

At 4/10/01 06:22 PM, aladinsane wrote: Ok, so I have the most important job interview I'm ever likely to have tomorrow and I'm shitting myself. I probably won't sleep tonight so post as much useful advice as you can and I'll try and absorb it all before the time comes...

Not bad advice so far. Look confident (even if you aren't). They will ask you questions like "What do you have to offer us" or "Why should we hire you", don't flintch just answer honestly. Promote yourself but don't brag- remember that you have to honetly think that you are worth getting the job to actually get it. Have at least 3 extra copies of your resume and cover letter, and make sure that you have a list of references. Show up fifteen minutes early, and make sure to use extra deodorant. (Not my personal experience, but never let them see you sweat.) Don't be surprised if you don't hear from them in over a week.

Good luck,
Septy.

Response to Job Interview... HELP 2001-04-10 19:24:47

Can you do the job you're applying for? Why / how? That is the only question you need to ask yourself. When explaining to the company you're applying to why / how you are able to do the job, feel free to exaggerate. But not to excess, as they'll probably test you on what you say you can do.

Try and look at the company you've applied to and think of new things you could suggest them to consider doing (but don't insist that they SHOULD do them).

Also, "Where do you want to be in X number of years from now?"

At the end of the day, you're a product. And they're the customers. Sell yourself to them. But not like a prostitute would. Comprenez?

Good luck!

Response to Job Interview... HELP 2001-04-10 19:41:32

Thanks guys, some great advice there. The trouble is I want this job really bad and that normally means that I fall to pieces as soon as the interview starts. It's always the jobs that I'm not fussed about that I end up being offered because I don't worry about the interview.

Anyway i'll let you know how it goes...

Response to Job Interview... HELP 2001-04-10 21:18:46

What kind of job we talking about???

Oh, and in my previous post, in case you don't uncderstand "overdress" i dont mean to wear a t-shirt and along sleeve shirt and a t shirt over that and a sweater and a jacket....dress more professionally than the job would ever demand.

I had an interview a couple months ago at Dreamworks SKG, so I went out and bought a $350 italian three-piece suit. I think they were only looking for internships, though...still no word back from them or any of the other graphic design positions I applied for.

Also, make sure you have a professional-looking folder with the crispest, cleanest edition of your resume possible. Make sure the resume is either on cotton fiber resume paper or semi-gloss card stock paper, not Xerox shit.

Good luck dude!

Job Interview... HELP

Response to Job Interview... HELP 2001-04-12 18:10:19

How did your interview go?

Whenever I read your name, I see it as aladdin sane, as opposed to what you probably mean a lad insane.

Response to Job Interview... HELP 2001-04-13 14:01:30

At 4/12/01 06:10 PM, Perdix wrote: How did your interview go?

I think it went pretty good, your advice certainly helped as it was the first interview I've had for a couple of years. I won't find out until after the holiday though so I'm desperately trying to think about other things at the moment.

Whenever I read your name, I see it as aladdin sane, as opposed to what you probably mean a lad insane.

That's OK, I'm not as crazy as I used to be anyway :)