00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

gabmaster5 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I've got Prize Fever!

12,686 Views | 116 Replies
Respond to this Topic

I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:11:17

Ok, so obviously we won't be switching to 1024 width (see post below). I think 800x600 is here to stay for a while. I also agree that it is nice to have room on your desktop while browsing NG.

So James is feverishly coding up a really neat system, one that combines high ranking users (we're talking more than a year of deposits) with top ranking artists to come together and vote on the monthly top five submissions. I know, I know... You are all worried about cheaters, all worried about corporate Flash winning, yada yada... Well, as of right now I am feeling very optimistic. Let me just say I think this system will work and I think it will be fair and just. I think the pool of voters will have the right sensibilities to ensure worthy artists take home the prize. Like the rest of NG, it's all one big experiment and I am excited to see the result.

I am also working with Stamper to prepare another surprise for the monthly winners, but I won't announce that unless we actually pull it off. :)

The announcement of "Cash for Flash" has raised some questions about prizes for non-artists. I decided that although I gave up on the console contest, I could just send a check out each month to a random voter. I decided on $100 to get things started.

Basically, each day that you deposit points to your Grounds Gold account (you do so by voting on five submissions while logged in), you are entered into a drawing to win. So you can enter 30 times in a 30 day month, for example.

I ran the raffle for JANUARY and the winner is... The-Complex-Old-Man! So The-Complex-Old-Man just won $100. Congrats! :)

February is almost over and I will be picking another winner, so be sure to deposit those points!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:12:19

Well done to the winner
im gonna start paying attention to flash makin

GT - LedgeyNG, Steam - Ledgey91, PSN - LedgeyNG

BBS Signature

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:13:28

Now I'm going to try to make Flash and deposit more often so I can get $350. Good luck with trying to keep track of the contests.

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:13:44

Wow, sounds awesome and interesting. 30 chances to win? On the other hand, there are many NG users....

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:15:42

At 2/23/05 05:11 PM, TomFulp wrote: Ok, so obviously we won't be switching to 1024 width (see post below). I think 800x600 is here to stay for a while. I also agree that it is nice to have room on your desktop while browsing NG.

So James is feverishly coding up a really neat system, one that combines high ranking users (we're talking more than a year of deposits) with top ranking artists to come together and vote on the monthly top five submissions. I know, I know... You are all worried about cheaters, all worried about corporate Flash winning, yada yada... Well, as of right now I am feeling very optimistic. Let me just say I think this system will work and I think it will be fair and just. I think the pool of voters will have the right sensibilities to ensure worthy artists take home the prize. Like the rest of NG, it's all one big experiment and I am excited to see the result.

OH thats a cool idea, since i happen to have over a years worth of voting, i think it is a good way to do it, very democratic,
People wiht lots of experience will know more about what is good flash and what isn't

And for this new contest what is the age, 18 and over again?

LSD!

BBS Signature

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:15:50

all you have to do is deposit? thats fucking awsome.

BBS Signature

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:16:37

I want money :)
Good idea Tom, way to go!

[ woman vocalizing ] [ man speaking backwards ] last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:16:51

At 2/23/05 05:11 PM, TomFulp wrote: So The-Complex-Old-Man just won $100. Congrats! :)

This complex old man ? Well, congrats to him.

What if a forgeign person won, would they still recieve the prize ?

FUCK

BBS Signature

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:17:50

I'll bet you still have that "with a profile" requirement.

I'll still deposit anyways.

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:18:29

At 2/23/05 05:11 PM, TomFulp wrote: I ran the raffle for JANUARY and the winner is... The-Complex-Old-Man! So The-Complex-Old-Man just won $100. Congrats! :)

If he doesn't answer your "so where should I send the check to?" email, then don't hesitate to send it to me instead.

BBS Signature

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:18:36

Newgrounds just keeps getting better and better... Great idea, Tom. Hope it works out for everyone.

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:20:48

That's great Tom. I have a question though. How much money have you made from Alien Hominid sales so far? Just wondering.

BBS Signature

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:21:53

Hey Tom what ever happened to your console contest for each month?
Spread the anger to the BBS as one user walks away with the goods.

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:22:19

At 2/23/05 05:11 PM, TomFulp wrote:

I am very interested in how this will turn out. I have been voting for more than a year, so does that mean I will have a say in things? My votings hasn't been consistant but I think that most people who have been fairly active with their account, should have a vote to cast. Props to Jim for his devious code work.

I decided that although I gave up on the console contest, I could just send a check out each month to a random voter. I decided on $100 to get things started.

Am I the only one who found this humorous?

BBS Signature

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:23:43

At 2/23/05 05:11 PM, TomFulp wrote: Ok, so obviously we won't be switching to 1024 width...

Aw I was hoping for a change.

So James is feverishly coding up a really neat system...

Sweet that would be really great

I am also working with Stamper to prepare another surprise for the monthly winners...

Haha cool, I better start working with the flashes again.

I decided on $100 to get things started.

Wow you get PAID for beeing a member to the site, I'm use to it being the other way. Nice

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:25:00

At 2/23/05 05:11 PM, TomFulp wrote: Ok, so obviously we won't be switching to 1024 width (see post below). I think 800x600 is here to stay for a while. I also agree that it is nice to have room on your desktop while browsing NG.

That's what I like about NG, usually sites this big must be scrolled horizontally to view. Damn I hate that.

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:26:16

Yeah! It sound VERY good..... i hope no cheaters try to win the $350 ¬¬ . Wut about if the people are teamed up? Do the divide the money? Or each 1 gets their own money?

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:27:02

Feeling generous ay Tom?

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:28:35

great news! Ill go deposit my points now...

WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT

BBS Signature

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:29:27

Sweet, now there's a chance to win a prize for everyone.

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:29:53

Even though I run on 1280, I'm glad you're sticking with 800. The ONLY thing on the site that I would like to be bigger is the yellow POST MESSAGE box, so it's easier to proof-read your posts before submitting.

So James is feverishly coding up a really neat system, one that combines high ranking users (we're talking more than a year of deposits) with top ranking artists to come together and vote on the monthly top five submissions.

Keep James busy, or you never know what he might get up to... ;)

I think the pool of voters will have the right sensibilities to ensure worthy artists take home the prize.

I sincerely hope you're right

I am also working with Stamper to prepare another surprise for the monthly winners,

aka BLACKTASTIC, lol

I ran the raffle for JANUARY and the winner is... The-Complex-Old-Man! So The-Complex-Old-Man just won $100. Congrats! :)

Never heard of him. Will you be checking whether the winning account is an alt or not...?

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:32:57

Props to you Tom on giving back something to the masses, im sure its appreciated.... by the winners :D

I like the new idea of the voters who have deposited for over a year, thats pretty cool, atleast these peope will be experienced enough, and their judgement shouldnt be too clouded by shitty flashes. I look forward to participating in it.

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:34:08

Haha Prize Fever indeed.
Oh well, I really do not know what to say except the well-known fact that it rocks.
By the way, is the random "deposit contest" only for 18 year olds and/or above ?

I play lottery. I always lose.

LOOK at my CAR VIDEOS on YouTUBE !!

BBS Signature

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:34:40

At 2/23/05 05:11 PM, TomFulp wrote: I am also working with Stamper to prepare another surprise for the monthly winners, but I won't announce that unless we actually pull it off. :)

Sounds kinky... ;-)

I think I agree with you on needing more than just average depositing to be able to decide on the monthly contest thing, especially when it involves giving away money and such. I can still see problems with it, but James knows my quarrels already, so there's no sense in repeating them here.

That being said, the way you guys are going about this sounds really cool. Whenever programming and new features are involved it usually turns out awesome.

I also am slightly dissapointed about not moving to 1024 resolution, but I guess if it isn't broken, why fix it?

Oh yea, and I look forward to winning a Benjamin for the month of February. :-)

BBS Signature

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:36:19

Awesome. I think this voting system will be cool, since I have a year of deposits under my belt. I'm not a Flash author, so the $100 is also sounding cool right now. Hopefully everything will work out smoothly, and these events will take place monthly.

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:36:58

Cash for flash is bound to open the floodgates on this site. Yes, even more so than before. Now if I can just get myself to actually FINISH a project, that might mean something to me.

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:40:13

will i get a better chanse on the 100 dollars if I said I <3 you Tom?
because in that case I realy do

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:43:39

Whoa, first the $250 for flash and now $100 for just voting! This is really cool =D

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:54:08

So, to clarify, if you deposit at any point in the month in question, you stand a chance of winning $100? And the flash submission prizes will be chosen by a selection of people who have over 365 deposits....?

Well, I'm depositing from now on ^^

BBS Signature

Response to I've got Prize Fever! 2005-02-23 17:57:09

gime monei