00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

XToriToriX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Hard Core Game Programing

1,235 Views | 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hard Core Game Programing 2002-02-21 23:16:09

Calling all C++ programers! I'm making a game and I need help! I need people who can work with 3D art (Maps, Menus, Char., etc.). I also need some good C/C++ programers. This is big stuff!!
Find me on MNS Messenger under:
connor_conlon@hotmail.com

Response to Hard Core Game Programing 2002-02-25 21:58:49

At 2/21/02 11:16 PM, CanadianPsycho wrote: Calling all C++ programers! I'm making a game and I need help! I need people who can work with 3D art (Maps, Menus, Char., etc.). I also need some good C/C++ programers. This is big stuff!!

WHY WUD A FLASH-KODER EVA GO BAK 2 C++ ???

fuk-sake!
me thinks C++ wuz a language of old already?
THIS is a FLASH PORTAL YO!

AND... your @HATEMAIL.COM & M$N-ger says it ALL!!!

Response to Hard Core Game Programing 2002-02-26 04:20:13

At 2/25/02 09:58 PM, kidoo wrote:
At 2/21/02 11:16 PM, CanadianPsycho wrote: Calling all C++ programers! I'm making a game and I need help! I need people who can work with 3D art (Maps, Menus, Char., etc.). I also need some good C/C++ programers. This is big stuff!!

fuk-sake!

Perhaps it's time you learned to read. This is the programming forum... "Ask questions about PHP, MySQL, Perl, JavaScript, or any kind of programming!"

Response to Hard Core Game Programing 2002-02-26 05:25:50

At 2/26/02 04:20 AM, liljim wrote: Perhaps it's time you learned to read. This is the programming forum... "Ask questions about PHP, MySQL, Perl, JavaScript, or any kind of (RELATED!)programming!"

I ALWAYZ read between the lines in life!
It mentions 4 languages there, which happen to be server backend languages FOR FLASH.. It kuda also said XML, but I didn't hardly expect to see C++, or COBOL, or assembly for the matter. So, yes I'm New Here TOO! Don't we protect our own from blatant *Advertising* and pinching of NG talent?

Response to Hard Core Game Programing 2002-02-26 06:00:46

At 2/26/02 05:25 AM, kidoo wrote:
At 2/26/02 04:20 AM, liljim wrote: Perhaps it's time you learned to read. This is the programming forum... "Ask questions about PHP, MySQL, Perl, JavaScript, or any kind of (RELATED!)programming!"
I ALWAYZ read between the lines in life!
It mentions 4 languages there, which happen to be server backend languages FOR FLASH.. It kuda also said XML, but I didn't hardly expect to see C++, or COBOL, or assembly for the matter. So, yes I'm New Here TOO! Don't we protect our own from blatant *Advertising* and pinching of NG talent?

The original poster makes no mention of flash - this is an assumption on your part. (S)He's asking for help - that's not advertising. If indeed the original author is intending to create a flash movie (as you assumed), then I have little doubt that (s)he will post it on Newgrounds, thus contributing to the site, not stealing from it.

Response to Hard Core Game Programing 2002-02-26 06:44:58

opposite! I'm saying C++ has NOTHING to do with FLASH whatsoever... so why r u on my back already???

Response to Hard Core Game Programing 2002-02-26 11:44:22

At 2/26/02 06:44 AM, kidoo wrote: opposite! I'm saying C++ has NOTHING to do with FLASH whatsoever... so why r u on my back already???

Bullshit. Actionscript uses the same basic syntax as C++...nearly.

Response to Hard Core Game Programing 2002-02-26 17:17:19

At 2/25/02 09:58 PM, kidoo wrote:

fuk-sake!

AND... your @HATEMAIL.COM & M$N-ger says it ALL!!!

Go back to C++? I hate to say it but the core of C++ is a lot more advanced then Flash, even though flash is getting up there...

What may man within him hide, though angel on the outward side.

BBS Signature

Response to Hard Core Game Programing 2002-02-26 22:28:58

At 2/26/02 11:44 AM, Uncle_Boris wrote: Bullshit. Actionscript uses the same basic syntax as C++...nearly.

They are melding into 1 (the same essential SYNTAX) but actionscript is but a new feature of Flash (F3, F4, F5..) enhancing Frame control and Drawing and Interaction..
~ F7 will prolly allow FULL file access too??

C++ Core is stronger.

with 20 years of development (I MUST agree!) ..but
Flash is Open Source (ALREADY! - bearly 2 years after conception) for the very reason that it is web-based.

I'd say that was a pretty MAJOR FK'n advance on C++
{{{I'm sure someone will SLAM me, and say u can run VB++ and C++ on a server runnig SSL or something M$}}}

*Anyone curious about these points might like to check [runrev.com] and then consider how things will look as soon as QuickTime(tm) release a F5-code capable player and our machines pick up speed a little more!

;O)_power to the developer!

Response to Hard Core Game Programing 2002-02-28 04:36:46

At 2/26/02 06:44 AM, kidoo wrote: opposite! I'm saying C++ has NOTHING to do with FLASH whatsoever... so why r u on my back already???

... Rewind to your first response - "WHY WUD A FLASH-KODER EVA GO BAK 2 C++ ???" The poster never mentioned Flash... Just because this site happens to concentrate heavily upon Flash, doesn't mean that the poster's question was any less valid, just because (s)he didn't mention Flash. That was my point.

Flash is Open Source (ALREADY! - bearly 2 years after conception) for the very reason that it is web-based.

Wrong. Flash isn't open source. It is not freely distributed, and the programming behind it isn't freely available, nor really documented (at least in a form the general public can access).

I could go on, but I think I'll drop it. :)

Response to Hard Core Game Programing 2002-02-28 07:21:56

At 2/28/02 04:36 AM, liljim wrote: Wrong. Flash isn't open source. It is not freely distributed, and the programming behind it isn't freely available, nor really documented (at least in a form the general public can access).

I could go on, but I think I'll drop it. :)

IM GLAD............................ [drop it!]
GIVE SUMONE ELSE A CHANCE!!!
As far as I heard recently, the full specs for F5 AS have been made publically available already (not in your local newspaper - as jim has just pointed out!)

At 2/26/02 06:44 AM, kidoo wrote: Flash [ACTIONSCRIPT CODE] is Open Source...

I knew *AHEM* sum"1" wud spot that small slip o' da tounge!!!!!
I'll have to call you bigjim from now on, k!

Anyhow F6 is little more than BASIC of Oolden days(MOVE, DRAW, FILL SHAPE (gradient), **AND** made for the web with the tightest content currently available(MP3, JPG, 3DS, etc) which can (as TOM is showing us) be used for GAME SPRITES, which is after all the TOPIK of this thread!

FunKu-very-much.

Response to Hard Core Game Programing 2002-03-03 01:00:44

I'm a good C++ programmer. If you want my help contact me at plever5@hotmail.com

Response to Hard Core Game Programing 2002-03-06 02:44:46

At 2/28/02 04:36 AM, liljim wrote: Wrong. Flash isn't open source. It is not freely distributed, and the programming behind it isn't freely available, nor really documented (at least in a form the general public can access).

Actually, one could say that Flash [b]is[/b] open source. Although they haven't and won't release the code that went into making Flash (the authoring software), Macromedia has released the C++ code used to generate SWF files, and they released it a good while ago. If one were so inclined, he or she could create their own software capable of generating SWF files or even improve upon the SWF format.

Hard Core Game Programing

BBS Signature

Response to Hard Core Game Programing 2002-03-06 02:45:50

At 3/6/02 02:44 AM, Stuporman wrote: ...could say that Flash [b]is[/b] open source...

I got that "BBCode" on the brain.

BBS Signature

Response to Hard Core Game Programing 2002-03-06 04:28:11

At 3/6/02 02:44 AM, Stuporman wrote:
Actually, one could say that Flash [b]is[/b] open source. Although they haven't and won't release the code that went into making Flash (the authoring software), Macromedia has released the C++ code used to generate SWF files, and they released it a good while ago.

The licensing agreements associated with Flash contradict the whole definition of "open source", which, basically allows volunteers to freely modify and contribute to the actual source code (under the belief that if the people who are actually using the software are helping develop it, then it should be pretty water-tight with regards to bugs etc - a belief that's held firm ground over the years, certainly in cases like the apache and php movements).

If one were so inclined, he or she could create their own software capable of generating SWF files or even improve upon the SWF format.

There you go - that's not what open source is - public contribution to (and often modification of) the actual source code :)

Response to Hard Core Game Programing 2002-03-06 09:10:57

At 2/26/02 10:28 PM, kidoo wrote: Flash is Open Source for the very reason that it is [B]web-based[/B]

Not so much in classical terms or the GNU agreement definition, but in the best spirit of collaborative competition Actionscript is fairly freely exchanged ..like HTML and Javascript is web-based and "right click" open-source. (likewise we don't HAVE To decompile a SWF to view most of the variable names and commands that were used) ...well kinda!

hence: Programmers learning from each other at an increasingly geometric rate that can (and will) far outstrip the pace of computing power advancements (in the forseeable future: ie. this decade)

Let's view it like this; "Will there be as many actionscript programmmers as there are ppl interested in flash, even though (for whatever reasons) they don't, won't, or can't actually program in it themselves?"

It's like; How many of us can speak [insert your language here] and how many of us can read or write the same? ..Nearly all? ..Most everybody? ..or only those that care to bother?!

(ok "HARD-CORE" koding is another story altogether, and kloser to what Stuporman said :)_it's an interesting topik at least!

Response to Hard Core Game Programing 2002-03-11 19:57:22

At 3/6/02 09:10 AM, kidoo wrote:
At 2/26/02 10:28 PM, kidoo wrote: Flash is Open Source for the very reason that it is [B]web-based[/B]

BTW, NE1 dissolutioned with tweened sprites and mp3s catching all the votes and reviews, or has suffered quietly while their game has gone unnoticed in the Portal, and interested in the Open-Source nature of ACTIONSCRIPT, and keen on koding robots for battle....

http://66.70.72.50/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=123841

Edited: {how do we edit posts?}