00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Blacktree4 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

03/30/01: Girl Dead, Questions Rage

1,692 Views | 10 Replies

In Germantown, a girl is dead, and questions rage

By Rita Giordano
INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

In her middle-school yearbook last spring, Ajene Atia Bright made this wish for the world: "To stop violence." Her wish for herself was to be remembered as "cool."

And she was pretty hard to forget. You heard her before you saw her, this Germantown ninth grader, and when you saw her, it was all dimples and a flashing smile. She lived life large and happy.

And she was smart, so smart that teacher after teacher agreed that she could have been just about anything she'd wanted to be.

Instead, what Ajene will be is mourned.

The 15-year-old, a former honor student, will be laid to rest this morning. She was shot to death shortly after 3 p.m. last Saturday on a Germantown street corner now piled with the toys and mementos of a sidewalk memorial.

Ajene was at the corner of Tulpehocken Street and Belfield Avenue, about two blocks from her Clearview Avenue home, listening to her Walkman on her way to a clothes-shopping expedition, when a bullet tore into her left arm and chest.

At 4:09 p.m., she was pronounced dead on arrival at Albert Einstein Medical Center.

No arrests have been made, and police have yet to come up with a motive, but they believe that some in the neighborhood - many of them young - know more than they have been willing to tell.

Word on the street, according to Ajene's family and friends, is that the killer is a neighborhood youth who knew her and who, police concur, has a criminal record.

The family has also been told that Ajene might have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time, that as she stood at the corner, people were gambling in a nearby alley and a gun went off.

Detective Michael Gross said that a neighborhood youth has been questioned and is considered a suspect but that more than rumor is needed for an arrest.

"We're looking for witnesses," Gross said. "We're looking for someone from the neighborhood to come forward."

Ajene's mother, Eyonne Petty, 46, is pleading for the same.

"Will someone please come forward?" a sobbing Petty asked this week in her living room as friends came by with flowers, food and regrets. "This has to stop. This is senseless.

"All I know is I lost a beautiful, wonderful child" - her only child, a child who, despite adolescent turbulence of late, seemed to many to have so much heart, so much promise.

"She was like my best friend," said Simon Eleazer, 19, a Germantown High School student and Ajene's boyfriend.

"She had a certain spirit about her. Everyone loved 'Geen,' " said James Cox, 22, a family friend who considered Ajene a surrogate little sister. "She was the loudest person on the block. She was the happiest person on the block. You could hear Geen from anywhere: 'Hey, baby!' "

She was also a girl with plans.

"We were going to be millionaires," Cox said, grinning.

This summer, he said, they were planning to have their own freelance car wash.

"We were going to be entrepreneurs," he said.

Ajene had talked about becoming a psychiatrist, said her mother, a 25-year telephone operator who had put $16.25 a week into savings bonds for the medical school her daughter would attend.

"She could have been anything," said Felicia Jolley, who taught Ajene two years ago at Roosevelt Middle School.

Teachers there said she was an A and B student. In the eighth grade, she transferred to AMY Northwest Middle School, a magnet school where students are usually selected by lottery.

Principal Holly Perry remembers clearly the self-possessed girl who called on her own behalf and said she wanted to attend a smaller school, one where people were serious about learning.

"She convinced me," Perry said.

The principal let her in.

Quote of the day: @Nysssa "What is the word I want to use here?" @freakapotimus "Taint".

Response to 03/30/01: Girl Dead, Questions Rage 2001-03-30 11:27:14

The walls of Ajene's bedroom are still adorned with certificates of achievement from the various schools she attended, including St. Thomas Aquinas, a Catholic school in South Philadelphia, where she and her mother lived until Ajene was 11.

They lived in the home of Ajene's paternal grandparents. Her father, Frederick Bright, 48, had moved to Houston when she was about 21/2.

Bright, a hypnotherapist who caught a morning flight to Philadelphia on Sunday, said he had maintained a close relationship with his only child. She visited him, and they went on trips - to Louisiana for Mardi Gras, to Mexico. This summer, they were planning to visit Jamaica, he said.

Poverty troubled Ajene, her father said. During their Mexico trip, when she was about 13, she gave her jacket to a poor person on the street.

Violence, too, bothered her.

"She said people were killing each other for no reason," her father said. "She said too many young people were dying."

The Germantown neighborhood to which she and her mother moved in 1997 has many solid, working-class families, but gunshots are not unheard of. Nor are drugs or the violence that goes with them. A block from where Ajene was shot is a known drug location, police said.

Ajene's mother said that, in the last year, adolescent rebellion had reared its head. At the end of the eighth grade, she said, Ajene began skipping school - though not enough to keep her from graduating - and hanging out with questionable friends. In August, she was arrested for shoplifting.

In September, she started at Northeast High School as a freshman. She had picked Northeast, Cox said, because she thought she'd get a better education there and be less distracted than at a neighborhood school.

But Northeast was far away, and she often got there late, Cox said. Petty said her daughter often didn't go at all. Principal Kelly Barton confirmed that but added: "When she was here, she had so much to offer. She was just in that phase."

"Something out there grabbed her," Petty said. "The street life is like that: It sucks you under."

Truancy and falling grades landed Ajene back in Family Court. She had violated the terms of a consent decree on the shoplifting charge.

But Judge Glynnis Hill said he was impressed by the articulate girl who said she wanted to be a psychiatrist, by her concerned mother, and by the sole charge on her record.

On March 19, five days before the shooting, Hill deferred adjudication, keeping Ajene on probation. He referred her to a treatment program, to make sure that drugs were not involved in her relatively sudden spate of trouble, and to the Philadelphia Youth Advocacy Program, to help her think in healthy ways about the future.

That was a good week, Petty said. Ajene talked about getting back on track.

"She wasn't a bad child at all," her mother said. "She was being a teenager."

Probation Officer Anthony Acello agreed.

"She was a good kid," he said. "She just had to get things straight. She just needed more time."

Funeral services will begin at 10 a.m. today at the Choice Funeral Home, 2530 N. Broad Street, following a viewing.

Even as the police continued to investigate her death, friends were planning to wear shirts bearing Ajene's likeness to the funeral.

Her mother, meanwhile, said she may donate the money saved for Ajene's medical education to AIDS research.

And from the girl who once gave her jacket away, there will be a final gift: Petty said she has requested that her daughter's heart and eyes be given to people who need them.

"I would like somebody to have my baby's eyes," she said, "because her eyes are beautiful."

Rita Giordano's e-mail address is rgiordano@phillynews.com.

© Philadelphia Newspapers Inc.

** Should this really be considered a double post?

Quote of the day: @Nysssa "What is the word I want to use here?" @freakapotimus "Taint".

Response to 03/30/01: Girl Dead, Questions Rage 2001-03-30 13:44:13

Freak: what is your inseccent(sp) need to post all these news stories?

Response to 03/30/01: Girl Dead, Questions Rage 2001-03-30 14:04:50

At 3/30/01 01:44 PM, Bugger_all_99 wrote: Freak: what is your inseccent(sp) need to post all these news stories?

It started as an effort to get more people interested in the political BBS.

Response to 03/30/01: Girl Dead, Questions Rage 2001-03-30 15:59:52

At 3/30/01 02:04 PM, Freakapotimus wrote:
At 3/30/01 01:44 PM, Bugger_all_99 wrote: Freak: what is your inseccent(sp) need to post all these news stories?

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. That's what a political board is for. Yay Andrea!

Response to 03/30/01: Girl Dead, Questions Rage 2001-03-30 16:52:31

At 3/30/01 02:04 PM, Freakapotimus wrote:

good werk Andrea...i did manage to get throught the first half. Did i read that wrong or was that girl15 going out with a 19 year old guy? Ew.

Response to 03/30/01: Girl Dead, Questions Rage 2001-03-30 20:21:02

Seems this school shooting thing is becoming the latest fashion.

shorbe

Response to 03/30/01: Girl Dead, Questions Rage 2001-03-31 00:35:11

At 3/30/01 04:52 PM, SafetyCrew_1 wrote: good werk Andrea...i did manage to get throught the first half. Did i read that wrong or was that girl15 going out with a 19 year old guy? Ew.

Thanks... and yes, you read right. She was 15, her BF ia 19. He said they were "like best friends." Then again when I was 16 I was dating a 21-year-old. I thought he was 18 when we got together.

Response to 03/30/01: Girl Dead, Questions Rage 2001-03-31 00:53:25

At 3/31/01 12:35 AM, Freakapotimus wrote:
Thanks... and yes, you read right. She was 15, her BF ia 19. He said they were "like best friends." Then again when I was 16 I was dating a 21-year-old. I thought he was 18 when we got together.

What did your parents think about you going out with an older guy?

Response to 03/30/01: Girl Dead, Questions Rage 2001-03-31 00:55:37

At 3/30/01 08:21 PM, shorbe wrote: Seems this school shooting thing is becoming the latest fashion.

I thought this was just an act of violence and not a specific school shooting.

In terms of shooting deaths, I have a feeling they're not on the rise but just reported more but I have no statistics to back me up.

Response to 03/30/01: Girl Dead, Questions Rage 2001-03-31 11:24:50

At 3/31/01 12:53 AM, Shrapnel wrote: What did your parents think about you going out with an older guy?

I think it helped that I thought he was 18 when we started dating. (Also, he thought *I* was 18 when we got together!) They got to know him before they made a judgement on him based on his age, although I do not recomment lying to your parents if you want to date an older person!

It also helps me out now when I'm dating an older guy- my BF is going to be 29 on Friday. At first my mom was a little weird with it, but when you get to be in your 20s, a 6 or 7 age difference isn't that much anymore.

A little story, off the news topic though: when I had first gotten together with my BF, we were talking one night about grade school, and he mentioned his first day of school, and his mom dressed him in plaid bellbottoms and a pale blue shirt (with the alligator). I started laughing, and he said "Well, you remember is was 1977." Then he realized that I hadn't been born yet.

Ok, so that was a lame story, I apologize ;)