00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ykj03 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Site Overload!

15,840 Views | 219 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-03 17:01:52

At 10/3/01 03:24 PM, WadeFulp wrote: We are starting a new ad campaign, and we are still tweaking the ads. At the moment we are running without Banner ads. We are working on it. We need the pop ups to pay for the high costs of hosting a site like Newgrounds. It's either deal with the ads, or there won't be a Newgrounds.com to come to. It's that simple.

Yeah, what the hell, maybe the new people will click on an ad thinking its the page and give you extra money.

As for the reason we all love these games, its fun to hurt, maim, or kill someone we loathe, and not have many consequences to deal with.

Site Overload!

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-03 17:21:14

I've noticed Newgrounds has been running slow for a while now, but I'm really getting pissed, now. Newgrounds needs another server to process all this information,
but computers aren't cheap. Wade, if you're reading, this, I suggest you tell tom when he gets back to get another server. In the meantime money needs to be raised for it, I suggest doing a fundraiser of sorts. Nobody wants 2 billion ads on Newgrounds to pay for it, so people, either buy something, click on the already existing ads, or do something to raise money. Perhaps you guys could get a temporary "support this site" banner like I've seen on some. These things are rarely clicked on, but if 1000 people donate 20 bucks, you guys should be able to add another server. Actually, if anyone reading this has an old computer or server, maybe they could donate it, instead of paying cash. All I know, is as of posting this, I'm going to finally buy something from the store. I suggest you all do the same.

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-03 17:26:29

Why do I enjoy the Bin Laden games?

I happen to be a vindictive soul who prefers not being thrown into a cage for venting his unfathomable hatred for society in general.. Yeah.. and dressing dead babies wasn't doing it for me anymore. Heh.

Site Overload!

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-03 17:58:18

that is the most ironic question ever, "why do you enjoy these 'kill otsama' games, thats evil". the only reason that they do is the constant media coverage of the ugly bastard, if the media was against god,there would be a plethora of "kill god" games. Its the male urge to kill, and it leads to some creative shit.

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-03 18:23:48

Personally i cannot answer the queston about why the Bin Laden games are fun...becuase i don't find them amusing. However it goes without saying that what happened on September 11th was possibly the biggest event in the life of roungly 90% of newgrounds users. If something gets their attention they are going to respond. The expected response is to make a movie or game, and since alot of newgrounds is sensless killing, it's not much of a leap of the imagination what a NG user will make is it?
Despite all this there are some good movies being made in regards to September 11th, many are tributes to the towers and the victems and some are pleas for peace. My personal Favorite at the moment is Diplomacy by Mike O. Yes it DOES have killing in it and YES bin laden is the target...but come people this is NG what do you expect?!?

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-03 18:50:15

"why they are so popular!"

It's Simple Why They Are So Popular, People When Put An End To Bin Laden And His Terrorists, What Better Way To Take Out Your Agression Then Threw A Game..I Know I've Been Having Problems Myself Dealing With Bin Laden And Saddam Years Ago But Now The Incadent On Sept. 11 Really Set Me Off, I Can't Consentrate On Anything, I Doodle Things Bout Bin Laden And Him Losing His Life I Have Written A Song (Use Some Lyrics From T-Bone) About The Incadnet You Can Read At www.geocities.com/spikershit_dkyall/shrine.html
It's Helped Me Cope, I Am 17 And Only Want To Be In The Service Now And Be Apart Of Bringing All These Terrorist Acts To An End And I Can't Which Is Probably What Bothers Me So Much...That Is Why I Can Turn To Newgrouds And Try And Release My Anger Or Get A Laugh In My Day And I Thank Them For It. Thanks To All The People Who Have Submitted These Osama Bin Laden Games, I Thank You.

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-03 18:51:12

ya it pisses me off, as much as i like the collection i cant get grounds gold points for extreme load. Couldnt you just make a site for Anti Osama.

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-03 19:05:28

yeesh ... get some fucking bandwidth, dude

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-04 00:23:32

At 10/3/01 11:27 AM, WadeFulp wrote: For the next few days, or weeks, Newgrounds may experience traffic overload. We have been getting a lot of media attention from the Osama Bin Laden collection, which will result in increased traffic. We will do everything we can to handle the increased load, but there maybe times when the site becomes very slow, or unresponsive.

The media has been asking us questions like "Why do we get so much enjoyment out of these Osama Bin Laden games?" and that's a good question. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on why we think these games are so much fun, and why they are so popular!

So voice your comments here! Maybe your comments will make the news!

Flash artists are on the frontline of the propaganda war. :)

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-04 00:59:33

At 10/3/01 11

The media has been asking us questions like "Why do we get so much enjoyment out of these Osama Bin Laden games?" and that's a good question. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on why we think these games are so much fun, and why they are so popular!

Well, I enjoy these games because people like Osama Bin Laden deserve to die, they deserve the worse kind of death anyone can think up, wether it be watching Martha Stewart non stop for 5 days or it be listening to Yanni repeatedly til his head explodes. Anyway even if Osama Bin Laden hadn't planned any WTC attack it's still fun to harm an asshole =)

Site Overload!

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-04 01:26:54

We are starting a new ad campaign, and we are still tweaking the ads. At the moment we are running without Banner ads. We are working on it. We need the pop ups to pay for the high costs of hosting a site like Newgrounds. It's either deal with the ads, or there won't be a Newgrounds.com to come to. It's that simple.

I can deal with it, but not EVERY SINGLE time you change the page, often, but not too often. I understand the revenue problems.

There have been suggestions that if you click an ad, you should never seen it again, you get your revenue, and they don't get the ad anymore. Granted that has some problems, and doubt it would work.

The coup de grace is the internet explorer script errors on top of the ads every time I hit BACK.

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-04 01:29:14

As for the games, it isn't like we are going to kill anybody, but games (especially First Person Shooters) have always been a means to vent.

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-04 01:44:41

I think this Osama Bin Laden things getting taken to far. There are plenty more people just like him that are out there. People don't think. Most think once we get the terrorist groups in the middle east... they'll all be gone. What about Ireland, or Croatia... they go through that shit every, and thousands of innocent people are being killed because of it, by terrorist organizations probably just as dangerous as Bin Laden just not famous. What Americans don't realize is... that Bin Laden stands for the right things... he's just a whack job on acid. He simply goes about doing them the wrong way kinda like Napoleon. But still, no one in their right mind should ram 747's in to the WTC and the pentagon and get away with it. Once again the USA made a dumb mistake and now they're regreting, but hey! They're only human

Voluptuous Vertebrae
Speaking form a Canadian point of view.

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-04 04:08:07

Hell yeah, site overload. I couldnt get on for 2 days...i thought u all died er sumfin, cuz i cant get online a lot...at least i know what's up now

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-04 05:44:00

I think its because instead of going to combat (like i probably will), they can play at home and feel satisfied by blowing the enemy up from the confort of their home pc

Site Overload!

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-04 07:29:15

Because ill never get a chance in real life to beat the hell out of him so why not show as much hate for him as i can by beating the hell out of him on newgrounds?

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-04 08:54:03

At 10/3/01 11:27 AM, WadeFulp wrote: For the next few days, or weeks, Newgrounds may experience traffic overload. We have been getting a lot of media attention from the Osama Bin Laden collection, which will result in increased traffic. We will do everything we can to handle the increased load, but there maybe times when the site becomes very slow, or unresponsive.

So voice your comments here! Maybe your comments will make the news!

It's to take our bloodlust out on a computer game. We're not attacking people who are innocent, as some had been doing, we're channeling the energy into letting B.B. Hood, the Bad Dudes, and others do beatdowns on Osama Bin Ladin.

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-04 09:55:41

At 10/3/01 05:21 PM, AlbertusMagnus wrote: I've noticed Newgrounds has been running slow for a while now, but I'm really getting pissed, now. Newgrounds needs another server to process all this information,

Uhg, I don't know how many times we've been over this topic. Here's the deal.

Yes, we could get more servers, but that won't solve the problem. The problems is BANDWIDTH. We could have 100 web servers, but if we can only afford a 20-30mbps pipe line, what good are they? Now, we may look into getting another server, but the problem really comes down to our pipeline. Let's say we have a 20mbps pipe line and it cost us $15,000 a month, or whatever. We see that we have so much traffic that it's overloading that connection. So we could go with a 40mbps or 50mbps pipeline, but then we'd be paying $25,000-30,000 or more. The problem is, we don't have enough ads to cover that. So while our hosting bill goes through the roof, our ad revenue doesn't increase. We barely have enough ads to cover our traffic as it is, and they don't pay that well. So putting more revnue into bandwidth and webservers would put the site into bankrupcy and there would no longer be a Newgrounds.com on the web. So until ads start becoming more available, and paying better, we are stuck.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-04 11:00:17

Hello, The osama bin laden movies & games are populare cuz people hated what he (maybe) did! So they're putting alot of effort in the osama bin laden games, that's why they are very funny, I mean that's what I think

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-04 11:40:26

We do enjoy this because it gets rid of our anger. Most people now say "oh blow up Afghanistan" but of course on here you can simulate blowing them up and not causing any harm. It's better doing this than comandeering a F-18, flying to afghanistan and end up being shot down so hey if this gets anger out, I say do it!

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-04 11:46:43

First off let me say yes what happened in New York was a tragedy.... Why though does most of the American public feel we should just let loose on these people and start bombing the hell out of them.... Isn't that what we have been doing ever since Bush's daddy was our Pres. We have been killing inocents over there for over a decade now... Shit let along that our CIA trained them in the late 70's early 80's on how to do these kinds of things... What are we really going to solve though by bombing over there. and starting an all out war...? Well that is besides getting ourselves into another war... We as a people have to stop looking at just what the media and our government keeps feeding us and learn the whole truth before we commit to something that could not only devestate thousands more lives here and there but try to understand motives behind actions that have been taken and hold only those responsible for this at fault but in doing that make damn sure that the people we hold accountable are the parties responsible... If we do not do this and demand the whole truth from our government then we are going to loose thousands more inocent lives not only in our country but others also....

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-04 12:58:43

i wanna tie up Bin Laden and rape his daughter...

or his wife, sister, any female kin he has.

why doesnt someone make a "fuck bin ladens daughter" game.

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-04 14:25:10

Technicly there a probably a ton of real phsycological reasons why we could get enjoyment from mulleing osama bin laden, such as revenge, or as a stress relief. However i think that its because everyone hates the fucker and its fun to kill him, even if its not for real

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-04 14:38:35

i'll tell ya why we all love the osama bin laden games:

1 - even if he didnt do it, we still all wanna kill him
2 - if it makes ppl feel a little better about this whole situation, then go for it
3 - it's a way for ppl to vent their rage without inflicting bodilly harm on others

so, in my opinion. go for it!! try some right now! that's where i'm goin

Dark Warrior

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-04 18:01:33

The anti osama games are simply games for fun. While during WWII little children pretended to fight nazis and the japenese in backyard games. Since to day when ever a 1st grader pretends to play with a gun made out of his hand we send him to a shrink because we think he is a mass murderer. You dont want soilders to be in your airport because little children could be exposed to vilolence. Okay you tell little kids that the military is bad if you dont want to let your kids see them. Since you wont let us play outside because it is policitly incorrect you wont let us talk because it is policitly incoreect we go to the only source where we can vent our fustrations with out any one getting hurt the internet games. Of course with pc it is wrong to hate anyone even if they kill your freind or family member you are supposed to forgive. To sum it up playing these games is just a simple patriotic way to get back at the terrorists.

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-04 18:13:54

At 10/3/01 11:27 AM, WadeFulp wrote:

:but there maybe times when the site becomes very slow, or unresponsive.

Slow or unresponsive? Don't worry, it's been like that for months...

Half the time I come here, the server is busy, and that was loooong before the Bin Laden thing.

Site Overload!

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-04 18:58:04

Why do we like Bin Laden games/animations? Why indeed. Well to tell you the truth, I'm sure that almost all the animations on Bin Laden are made because the authors are PISSED OFF at him! What we are doing is nothing less than what the United States Government is going to do to the Taliban forces, we are retaliating! Can you blame us for having a heart for the US of A? You see, media people, asking us "Why do you make animations on Bin Laden?" and "Why do you watch animations about Bin Laden?" is almost the same as asking "Why do you hate Bin Laden so much?". So first of, it's Freedom of Speech, and secondly, we're PISSED at Bin Laden!

How's that for an answer.

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-04 19:23:30

The Osama Bin Laden collection is getting so many people attached to it because their killing the man every american hates! All tho i am for Newgrounds I just think this is gettin kind of stupid cause Bin Laden is getin' more attention then he should!

Site Overload!

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-04 19:43:17

I think everyone is watching these movies because:

1) Almost everyone is still pissed off
2) We all want to take out Osama (Whom we've assumed caused these travisties. In my opinion, I think he was behind it too.) but can't because we aren't in Afghanistan, nor do we really want to be there. Hell, I know I don't want to be anywhere near the Middle East.
3) The artists and creators of all the '9-11' and 'Osama Sucks' movies know that it's easy a really easy way to submit movies that, while aren't that high up in the ranks of creativity or graphics, will get votes, and good votes, because they help the public release a little bit of tension by seeing an SOB die or get a laugh at some overused pun being brought back into the spotlight via a flash movie.

-David C. Uhrig

Response to Site Overload! 2001-10-04 20:24:55

I was interviewed on Foxnews for my Powerpuff Girls cartoon and I was quite disappointed that from everything I said, they decided to print only the most obvious bit: if Bin Laden was a comicbook character he'd be a major villain. Duh!

It was still nice to get some exposure. I was also interviewed to the Washington Post, but I still don't know if and when it'll turn up.

Why do we make those cartoons? We simply express our feeling through art. A mixture of very primal emotions ranging from fear to hate. It's a safe fictional enviroment for us to deal with those heavy issues.

--Michael Bregman