00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Wonpaz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sleep for productivity and creativity

687 Views | 38 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Do you have a biphasic sleep schedule? Meaning you do your sleeping in 2 chunks, instead of one continuous one. If so, how do you feel? does it feel more natural, do you have more, or less energy? Is it easier to fall asleep? Are you more productive or creative? I'm wondering because I've read that this type of sleeping might be more natural for humans, it's how other animals sleep after all. Allegedly (correct me if I'm wrong, or the info I got is horse manure) we changed to a monophasic sleep schedule a few centuries ago, but it might be more natural to sleep for a few hours when it gets dark, wake up for a few hours, then sleep again unil dawn. Obviously it might be a difficult schedule in modern times for most of us, but I'm curious to read if someone here sleeps this way, or has in the past, and how that affected your creativity and or productivity, and your health and, well, anything else.

At 5/17/24 11:34 AM, Sevi wrote: Do you have a biphasic sleep schedule? Meaning you do your sleeping in 2 chunks, instead of one continuous one. If so, how do you feel? does it feel more natural, do you have more, or less energy? Is it easier to fall asleep? Are you more productive or creative? I'm wondering because I've read that this type of sleeping might be more natural for humans, it's how other animals sleep after all. Allegedly (correct me if I'm wrong, or the info I got is horse manure) we changed to a monophasic sleep schedule a few centuries ago, but it might be more natural to sleep for a few hours when it gets dark, wake up for a few hours, then sleep again unil dawn. Obviously it might be a difficult schedule in modern times for most of us, but I'm curious to read if someone here sleeps this way, or has in the past, and how that affected your creativity and or productivity, and your health and, well, anything else.

I've watched videos about sleeping in chunks but it would be hard to experiment with that sort of thing while maintaining a routine that includes the family. I also can have a hard time falling asleep, so doing that twice instead of once might be a lot of wasted time.

Overall I don't sleep well, I've been using a sleep tracker for the past few years and I have minimal deep sleep. One thing that made me feel better about that is that 23andme actually reported that genetically I'm not a deep sleeper, so I feel like there is less expectations that it's something I can fix. I wake up a good amount of times during the night and very rarely feel refreshed in the morning. Some people really do sleep through the night and feel refreshed when they wake up; I can't imagine how great that must be outside of the few times it happens to me each year.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 12:26:32

My sleep schedule is extremely chaotic, and on top of that it takes me a loooong time to actually fall asleep. I go from diurnal to nocturnal & vice versa every couple of days. Sometimes, if I wake up earlier than I usually would (naturally always tend to sleep 6 or 8 hours) I'll sleep again a few hours later. Not really on purpose, I don't "go for a nap" - I think my body is just used to a certain amount of sleep. Never really thought about it before, but I guess there is something there with a 2nd lil' boost of energy.

If I'm working on a project, and my schedule allows me, I tend to force a nocturnal sleep cycle as it helps me focus: there are less distractions. Everyone & everything irl is asleep or quiet, and there's not really much to do rather than sit at the computer all night - so why not use that time for something fun & creative. I find this really helps me finish projects & get stuff done relatively quickly.

I'll have to look more into all of this, very interesting post.

CRACKEGGS 2 COMING 2026

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 12:33:00

I don't sleep much at all. I can only do it reliably if I don't think about it. I can't help but focus on work or home projects until I can't stay awake. Thinking about wanting to sleep screws everything up, as I don't want to miss out on the wonderful people around me. Sleep thoughts are when the existential panic sets in.

I have learned over time that it's still good to try. If I shut my eyes and lay down, I will sometimes feel awake the entire night but am ok the next day. That could be everyone, or it's just how it is when you get older. I can't help but feel it's a result of having something in life that you don't want to lose or miss out on. 

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 12:36:50

I would say I get enough sleep most of the time these days. But in terms of getting creative work done I feel that am at peak productivity and get my most inspired ideas when I "should have been in bed" about 2 hours ago.

It's clearly some kind of curse. ;)

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 12:57:05

At 5/17/24 12:11 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 5/17/24 11:34 AM, Sevi wrote: Do you have a biphasic sleep schedule? Meaning you do your sleeping in 2 chunks, instead of one continuous one. If so, how do you feel? does it feel more natural, do you have more, or less energy? Is it easier to fall asleep? Are you more productive or creative? I'm wondering because I've read that this type of sleeping might be more natural for humans, it's how other animals sleep after all. Allegedly (correct me if I'm wrong, or the info I got is horse manure) we changed to a monophasic sleep schedule a few centuries ago, but it might be more natural to sleep for a few hours when it gets dark, wake up for a few hours, then sleep again unil dawn. Obviously it might be a difficult schedule in modern times for most of us, but I'm curious to read if someone here sleeps this way, or has in the past, and how that affected your creativity and or productivity, and your health and, well, anything else.
I've watched videos about sleeping in chunks but it would be hard to experiment with that sort of thing while maintaining a routine that includes the family. I also can have a hard time falling asleep, so doing that twice instead of once might be a lot of wasted time.

Overall I don't sleep well, I've been using a sleep tracker for the past few years and I have minimal deep sleep. One thing that made me feel better about that is that 23andme actually reported that genetically I'm not a deep sleeper, so I feel like there is less expectations that it's something I can fix. I wake up a good amount of times during the night and very rarely feel refreshed in the morning. Some people really do sleep through the night and feel refreshed when they wake up; I can't imagine how great that must be outside of the few times it happens to me each year.

That's rough, and yeah definitely family and ther obligations get in the way of other sleeping schedules, have you tried taking an hour long nap in the afternoon? might be more feasible. I gotta say though, if I sleep too late and and only sleep a few hours, then do something for a bit, going back to sleep feels delicous hahaha

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 12:58:47

I sleep about 8-9 hours, waking up 1-2 times during sleep to visit a restroom. Fells good if sleep in schedlue and bad if falling asleep at random time.

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 12:59:29

I attempted this for a while after I finished trade school and needed to build a portfolio to find work ASAP. I had trouble working on it for several hours in one go every day, but I figured I could get through it if I worked in bursts and slept for 3-4 hours as soon as I ran out of steam.

It works for about a month if you're extremely driven to get some solitary task done, and you can lean on others for your basic needs. I was staying with my parents for that time, and that's the only reason I was able to experiment with that kind of cycle.

Ultimately, it catches up to you. Rest just doesn't feel that restful if all you ever get is 4 hour chunks of it, even if they're closer together. I'd end up slowly sleeping more and more at night until I was back to doing it once every 24 hours for a normal amount.

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 13:05:04

At 5/17/24 12:26 PM, Kolumbo wrote: My sleep schedule is extremely chaotic, and on top of that it takes me a loooong time to actually fall asleep. I go from diurnal to nocturnal & vice versa every couple of days. Sometimes, if I wake up earlier than I usually would (naturally always tend to sleep 6 or 8 hours) I'll sleep again a few hours later. Not really on purpose, I don't "go for a nap" - I think my body is just used to a certain amount of sleep. Never really thought about it before, but I guess there is something there with a 2nd lil' boost of energy.
If I'm working on a project, and my schedule allows me, I tend to force a nocturnal sleep cycle as it helps me focus: there are less distractions. Everyone & everything irl is asleep or quiet, and there's not really much to do rather than sit at the computer all night - so why not use that time for something fun & creative. I find this really helps me finish projects & get stuff done relatively quickly.

I'll have to look more into all of this, very interesting post.

I also like working earlier when everything's quiet, it's easier to focus, it reminds me of growing up in a rural area, surrounded by beautiful nature. As far as the "second boost of energy", I don't know why but if I take a short nap, anywhere from 20 to 90 minutes, I feel more tired, not refreshed at all.

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 13:07:07

At 5/17/24 12:33 PM, DeadSM wrote: I don't sleep much at all. I can only do it reliably if I don't think about it. I can't help but focus on work or home projects until I can't stay awake. Thinking about wanting to sleep screws everything up, as I don't want to miss out on the wonderful people around me. Sleep thoughts are when the existential panic sets in.
I have learned over time that it's still good to try. If I shut my eyes and lay down, I will sometimes feel awake the entire night but am ok the next day. That could be everyone, or it's just how it is when you get older. I can't help but feel it's a result of having something in life that you don't want to lose or miss out on. 

Laying there waiting to fall asleep is the worst, it happens to me if I didn't get enough sleep the day before, and it carries over to the next day, and I feel less productive for sure.

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 13:10:54

At 5/17/24 12:36 PM, Yatsufusa wrote: I would say I get enough sleep most of the time these days. But in terms of getting creative work done I feel that am at peak productivity and get my most inspired ideas when I "should have been in bed" about 2 hours ago.

It's clearly some kind of curse. ;)

Aparently when we are at our most relaxed, which is later during the day, it's a better time for creative work. I would much rather work early though, I'm much moe eager. After lunch I want to do the easier more laid back tasks, indeed the more creative part, like planning or thinking of concepts or whaterever the equivalent is depending on what I have to do.

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 13:14:02

At 5/17/24 12:58 PM, OatmealPecheneg wrote: I sleep about 8-9 hours, waking up 1-2 times during sleep to visit a restroom. Fells good if sleep in schedlue and bad if falling asleep at random time.

That going back to sleep feels amazing though

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 13:17:04

At 5/17/24 12:59 PM, Skoops wrote: I attempted this for a while after I finished trade school and needed to build a portfolio to find work ASAP. I had trouble working on it for several hours in one go every day, but I figured I could get through it if I worked in bursts and slept for 3-4 hours as soon as I ran out of steam.

It works for about a month if you're extremely driven to get some solitary task done, and you can lean on others for your basic needs. I was staying with my parents for that time, and that's the only reason I was able to experiment with that kind of cycle.

Ultimately, it catches up to you. Rest just doesn't feel that restful if all you ever get is 4 hour chunks of it, even if they're closer together. I'd end up slowly sleeping more and more at night until I was back to doing it once every 24 hours for a normal amount.

Interesting, how about a nap during the day, like after cming home from work? I myself don't feel rested if i just do a short nap, I feel more tired, but I'm curious if it feels similar.

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 13:35:40

Apparently in Spain, it's common to have a 2 to 3 hour lunch break, many people will have a long nap, then come back to work and leave around 8 pm. That might be more feasible, to take a nap right after work, and then sleep a little later like you would most likely do anyways.

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 13:41:00

At 5/17/24 01:17 PM, Sevi wrote:
At 5/17/24 12:59 PM, Skoops wrote: I attempted this for a while after I finished trade school and needed to build a portfolio to find work ASAP. I had trouble working on it for several hours in one go every day, but I figured I could get through it if I worked in bursts and slept for 3-4 hours as soon as I ran out of steam.

Interesting, how about a nap during the day, like after cming home from work? I myself don't feel rested if i just do a short nap, I feel more tired, but I'm curious if it feels similar.

Naps are sometimes ok; it's a real tossup for me these days. If I do it too late in the afternoon, my body categories it as the beginning of that night's sleep rather than a little rest. But a good hour nap at 2pm is pretty nice when you work from home.

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 13:51:24

At 5/17/24 01:41 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 5/17/24 01:17 PM, Sevi wrote:

Naps are sometimes ok; it's a real tossup for me these days. If I do it too late in the afternoon, my body categories it as the beginning of that night's sleep rather than a little rest. But a good hour nap at 2pm is pretty nice when you work from home.

Right after lunch, it's so tempting, I slow down after midday.

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 14:16:24

I don't have the best sleep schedule, I tend to sleep at night, wake up, fall asleep again after waking up, then waking up after a hour, and then fall back asleep in the middle of the day, rinse and repeat.

As for the dreams that come from each slumber, I honestly don't remember too much, although one time i do remember having a dream about rebooting one of my cancelled projects or that one time i made a very successful fighting game.

I'm also not the most productive person, i procrastinate a lot.

Best regards

BBS Signature

Nah I don't. My sleep is usually pretty shitty. Reasons for my poor sleep quality are long-term depression and anxiety, and the hot and humid climate in Florida. I never feel refreshed when I wake up, despite naturally being a deep sleeper. Also, I don't just switch from being asleep to awake. My brain gradually transitions from one to the other over the course of a few hours and I've been like that my whole life. Probably due to me being such a deep sleeper. And my circadian rhythm is just fucked at this point. I'll sort of wake up a few times over the course of several hours in the morning, and I'll actually completely gain consciousness in the early afternoon. And of course poor mental health makes getting out of bed really tough some days. Even if it's a weekend.

Also regarding the climate, being naturally oily and being in a humid-subtropical climate DOES NOT HELP. Ugh, especially during the summer months (April - mid-December in Florida time, so most of the year) I can't fall asleep because it is simply too hot for me to sleep, and I wake up with a body builder's worth of sweat all over my entire body a fair amount. The heat also just lessens my mood too, so yay.

Now, with all that being said. I still am very creative and productive in my eyes. Art is just my absolute passion and it drives me out of bed every morning because the deep love and pride I have for what I do overrides the shitty sleep and mental health (Usually, sometimes shits too much and I just need to fuck around and do nothing for a day). I couldn't imagine living my life making a living doing anything else. Plus art has been there for me during times of poor mental health and helped me channel my feelings in a healthy way.

I'm the best for a reason.

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 15:16:00

Recent years experience:

1-Don't feel guilty about sleeping. You need it as much as food and good music.

2- Be mindful what you eat and drink.

3- Walk often to counter sitting for a long time.

4- Ideally, avoid taking care of yourself solely for creativity boost.

Take care of yourself first, and creativity will follow.

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 15:42:38

At 5/17/24 03:16 PM, TindyFlow wrote:
Recent years experience:
1-Don't feel guilty about sleeping. You need it as much as food and good music.
2- Be mindful what you eat and drink.
3- Walk often to counter sitting for a long time.
4- Ideally, avoid taking care of yourself solely for creativity boost.
Take care of yourself first, and creativity will follow.

Solid advice.

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 15:45:19

At 5/17/24 02:50 PM, TheBestBroster wrote:
Nah I don't. My sleep is usually pretty shitty. Reasons for my poor sleep quality are long-term depression and anxiety, and the hot and humid climate in Florida. I never feel refreshed when I wake up, despite naturally being a deep sleeper. Also, I don't just switch from being asleep to awake. My brain gradually transitions from one to the other over the course of a few hours and I've been like that my whole life. Probably due to me being such a deep sleeper. And my circadian rhythm is just fucked at this point. I'll sort of wake up a few times over the course of several hours in the morning, and I'll actually completely gain consciousness in the early afternoon. And of course poor mental health makes getting out of bed really tough some days. Even if it's a weekend.

Also regarding the climate, being naturally oily and being in a humid-subtropical climate DOES NOT HELP. Ugh, especially during the summer months (April - mid-December in Florida time, so most of the year) I can't fall asleep because it is simply too hot for me to sleep, and I wake up with a body builder's worth of sweat all over my entire body a fair amount. The heat also just lessens my mood too, so yay.

Now, with all that being said. I still am very creative and productive in my eyes. Art is just my absolute passion and it drives me out of bed every morning because the deep love and pride I have for what I do overrides the shitty sleep and mental health (Usually, sometimes shits too much and I just need to fuck around and do nothing for a day). I couldn't imagine living my life making a living doing anything else. Plus art has been there for me during times of poor mental health and helped me channel my feelings in a healthy way.

Hot and humid weather makes for the worst sleep, waking up with the pillow stuck to your head is the worst.

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 16:00:02

My Sleep Schedule is usually 10pm to 5am it’s not too bad. 6 or 7 hours of sleeping at least.

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 16:12:32

At 5/17/24 03:45 PM, Sevi wrote:
At 5/17/24 02:50 PM, TheBestBroster wrote:

Hot and humid weather makes for the worst sleep, waking up with the pillow stuck to your head is the worst.

YES!!!!

I'm the best for a reason.

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 16:19:08

tbh taking really long breaks improves my art drastically

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 20:02:57

At 5/17/24 04:19 PM, skeptic999 wrote: tbh taking really long breaks improves my art drastically

Weird, it's the opposite for me, I feel like i have to re-learn how to draw.

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-17 20:03:57

At 5/17/24 04:00 PM, RigaheaD wrote: My Sleep Schedule is usually 10pm to 5am it’s not too bad. 6 or 7 hours of sleeping at least.

That's pretty good

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-18 01:57:28

A exhausted mind is a creative mind in my book

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-18 08:06:34

At 5/18/24 01:57 AM, SporgyTheMenace wrote: A exhausted mind is a creative mind in my book

Interesting, it's the opposite for me. i wonder how many artists feel that way.

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-18 08:32:54

Snore mimimimimi

A member of Thumbnail Crew!, you should help as well!

AKA fe3l1ngsk1lled and Skilled!

BBS Signature

Response to Sleep for productivity and creativity 2024-05-18 10:26:00

I usually sleep only when I want to sleep, but I do have medicine for when I need to sleep as well.