00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Sketchy-cosmos just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Score influenced by mood?

198 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Score influenced by mood? 2024-05-16 19:08:35

Have you ever rated something on NG unfairly low only because you were extremely upset, sad, depressed, frustrated et al. or generally in a bad mood at that very moment?

It has happened to me. Quite a few times I found myself revisiting movie or art submissions I had previously impulsively rated 0-1 stars due to being angry or sad et al., and thinking: "man, this is actually really decent" and then raising my initial ratings.

BBS Signature

Response to Score influenced by mood? 2024-05-16 21:13:40

Not really. I have pretty good control of my emotions, and its not cool to lash out at innocent randos. If anything I feel like I'm subsconciously trying to be too nice and rating higher even if I genuinely think its dogshit.

If I feel frustrated I just rampage on my pillow or work it out, hard to stay mad when you can barely breathe.

Response to Score influenced by mood? 2024-05-16 21:33:09

At 5/16/24 09:13 PM, Riger44 wrote: Not really. I have pretty good control of my emotions, and its not cool to lash out at innocent randos. If anything I feel like I'm subsconciously trying to be too nice and rating higher even if I genuinely think its dogshit.

If I feel frustrated I just rampage on my pillow or work it out, hard to stay mad when you can barely breathe.

Good point. I'd say that it's not as much about controlling your negative emotions as it is about those negative emotions changing your perception of an animation's quality. It also works the other way around. When I'm super happy I sometimes overrate something.

BBS Signature

Response to Score influenced by mood? 2024-05-16 21:56:27

Anger just seems to tire me out, personally, so I avoid that particular emotion as much as possible just to get through each day--and that's before getting into how my "happy pills" affect my ability to have strong emotions in the first place. Like most people I meet here, I tend to over-rate everything I watch and look at, if anything.

No, I have given low ratings and wanted to give a proper review as to why I did...I could even spend a decent chunk of time writing one up but in the end...I may just not post it at all. That sort of applies to anything and everything I post though. Including this.

I have seen a decently large amount of low ratings and the ones that do post reviews along with them are just stupid. It's a pretty harsh system to have in place if your animation can be outright removed from the site due to low ratings or at least that's what I heard happens.

So I doubt that you're the only that does that and there are those that 0-star for even dumber reasons but never go back and correct it. You're not helping the situation though, you're contributing to it.

"How many animations am I responsible for getting removed just because I was in a bad mood?"

Response to Score influenced by mood? 2024-05-17 10:37:43

I occasionally change my rating because I feel like I might be a little TOO harsh. Though, I mostly give threes anyways.

delphox and zoroark are milfy lesbians

Response to Score influenced by mood? 2024-05-17 10:58:46

I wouldn't want someone to rate my hard-made projects in a fit of rage, so I don't either. It's best to give them your most genuine feedback, even if it's seemingly as paltry as a stupid internet number. Some people ride or die based on that. Sometimes things grow on me, other times I feel after the novelty something isn't as good as it is. But these are people's passion projects, so I even if I rate them casually without a great deal of though or articulation, I NEVER do it lightly because you won't know how it'll affect the artist.

Anger is an emotion meant to get you riled up and to direct your energy, so it must be channeled into something beneficial. If I'm really pissed off, I'll probably go rage-play a game like Postal 2 or make an intense song or story or impulsive drawing, where it can be expressed healthily.

Jerma985's subtitle editor.

Response to Score influenced by mood? 2024-05-17 12:00:33

I haven't zero bombed anything out of rage or jealousy since middle school. But that said, I've zero bombed a fair amount of submissions under judgment that were 2.5 at worst but the subject was related to some stupid overblown-out internet drama. Stuff like an animation of [insert lolcow of the week here] getting killed annoys the hell out of me so it might get a low rating even if I don't like that lolcow either.

Fuck you give me money!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Score influenced by mood? 2024-05-17 13:22:45

I usually comment stuff in a calm, neutral mood, so... No.

BBS Signature