00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Greasebat just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Short, Arcadey Games

309 Views | 25 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-12 17:13:10

Stuff like Downwell, Nuclear Throne, Space Invaders, Pac-Man Championship Edition (NES), Galaga, Mario Bros. etc.

Been in the mood to play short but challenging games lately.

[1] - [2]

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-12 17:46:50

Downwe-

At 5/12/24 05:13 PM, Nabella wrote: Stuff like Downwell, Nuclear Throne, Space Invaders, Pac-Man Championship Edition (NES), Galaga, Mario Bros. etc.

Shit. More short, replayable games:

• Mosa Lina, an unforgivingly random puzzle platformer
  • Seum, a first-person platformer focused on speed
  • Assault Android Cactus, a top-down shooter with a very arcade vibe
  • BPM: Bullets Per Minute, a roguelike rhythm FPS
  • Danmaku Unlimited 2, a bullet hell
  • Just Shapes & Beats, a bullet hell but with EDM
  • Super Hexagon, the next esport

BBS Signature

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-12 18:35:29

At 5/12/24 05:46 PM, silverchase wrote: Downwe-

Shit. More short, replayable games:

Nice. Thank you for sharing.

[1] - [2]

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-12 23:56:36 (edited 2024-05-12 23:57:03)

There’s always a bunch to find here! Endless runners, high score games and the like pop up on NG all the time!

Tomorrow if you remind me, I’ll go through my faves and find the ones that apply to this genre.

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-13 03:43:43

celeste

this signature belongs to an idiot who doesn’t even know how much of an idiot he is, i’m surprised he’s even capable of turning on a computer...what an absolute buffoon

BBS Signature

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-13 05:11:15

At 5/12/24 05:13 PM, Nabella wrote: Been in the mood to play short but challenging games lately.

This calls for Mighty Goose.

BBS Signature

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-13 06:15:47 (edited 2024-05-13 06:16:27)

Here are some short games I liked playing in here Newgrounds.

Inn & Out. It's like Hotel Mario but actually fair to the player.

Nereus. Reminds me of Super Meat Boy and Celeste.

Odd Verdure. Platformer without jumping.

Boxbrawl Delivery. From the creator of Annalynn.

Some Steam games I would recommend checking out are Antonball Deluxe (a breakout type of game mixed with a platformer), Alien Xenoblaster (tower defense type of platformer), BOOM! Buster demo (sorting bombs to the correct colored containers) and Annalynn (not really sure what to compare it to).

Look at him spin

BBS Signature

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-13 13:13:46 (edited 2024-05-13 13:14:58)

If you don't mind, very pastel vibrant colors in your screen, you can tray Super Glitter Rush. The stages are short but sweet, if you get good combos, some stages can be completed in seconds and it's free on the play store!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PqVEEeN3PA

Any copy of Vampire Survivors is arcadey and addictive enough, plus most are cheap.

There's also the Suika games, all are the same and are simple yet addictive. My favorite iteration is this one on Newgrounds

I also recommend this endless runner game, also here on Newgrounds (CAN YOU BEAT MY RECORD OF 396??? MWAHAHAHA)

And there's also this cool game called Quick Quest on Steam by a Dev I love, it is a platformer roguelike game, where you just need to move right and kill enemies and try to defeat bosses, only with your skill and a few items. It is kinda hardcore and fun to try to beat, I think it is on sale now, also check his other games, Garlic and Thrill Penguin, Thrill Penguin is the most Arcadey between those two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A77lAkD05gM

Tits dude

BBS Signature

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-13 13:32:09

Mr. Driller and Tetris

Take it with a grain of salt, I am slower than a snail.

BBS Signature

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-13 15:31:44

why the hell everybody forgot about this one?

BBS Signature

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-13 20:51:56

At 5/12/24 05:13 PM, Nabella wrote: Stuff like Downwell, Nuclear Throne, Space Invaders, Pac-Man Championship Edition (NES), Galaga, Mario Bros. etc.

Any Touhou game

BBS Signature

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-13 21:22:32 (edited 2024-05-13 21:22:47)

Canabalt is an easy pick but if you haven’t checked it out yet, it pretty much started the whole endless runner thing of the time!

BBS Signature

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-13 21:47:47

dragons lair

time warp

space ace

BBS Signature

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-14 04:12:41

Try downloading MAME or FBNeo and a pack of old arcade games, I love going through and finding some fun stuff I haven't tried before.

I love the Nintendo, Namco, and Sega classics like Donkey Kong, Excitebike, Balloon Fight, Dig Dug, Mappy, Sky Kid, and Out Run.

Then of course Bubble Bobble and Puzzle Bobble.

A few less well-known ones I enjoy are SonSon, The Legend of Valkyrie, and Nintendo's Popeye.

My favorite arcade beat em up is Cadillacs and Dinosaurs and my fav shooters the Twinbee series AKA Bells & Whistles.

Gotta mention Pocky and Rocky, that's a good run 'n shoot game.

Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness is a great game to play if you like the core gameplay of Pac-Man but are looking for something a bit more substantial with larger maps to explore.

Here's some arcadey games on NG that I like:

And most of the games I make are short and arcadey.

I'm currently working on another that hopefully should be out soon!

BBS Signature

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-14 09:18:12

Just looking through some of my personal Steam faves:

• Gunbird 1 & 2
  • Gunbarich
  • Super Puzzle Platformer
  • River City Girls
  • Alien Xenoblaster
  • Annalynn
  • Double Dragon Neon
  • Antonball
  • Ikaruga
  • Spectacular Sparky

and I wanna put Shovel Knight Dig & Pocket Dungeon in there but with roguelikes those can be really short or hours long depending on how good your run is.

Fuck you give me money!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-14 18:56:47

We actually released one arcade game last week, it's called Fartmania and you can find it here, on Newgrounds!

It's about a piggy character that has a farting problem which the whole Pig Village is laughing about, but it's also his superpower. It turns out the other piggies were abducted by aliens and only Pinky can save them - by jumping higher and higher into the sky! If you're good in this type of games, it'll be a short one. If you're not - it'll be challenging. It also has cool cartoony vibe.

We also made a little contest - whoever will appear in the first place of the game's highscores at the end of May will become... one of the characters in Fartmania ;) Just charge up the Fart-o-meter in the village and start the journey!

Here's the link:

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-14 19:17:31

At 5/13/24 03:43 AM, beanvamp wrote: celeste

Should probably finally get around to playing that to see what all the hubbub is about.

[1] - [2]

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-14 20:03:09

Super Smash TV(SNES), The Outfoxies(Emulator/Archive.org), Narc(Emulator/Archive.org), OG Angry birds(APKpure), and Robotron (Top down shooter, Emulator/Archive.org)

Quinnfinity NG

BBS Signature

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-15 00:55:29

At 5/13/24 08:51 PM, GearToward wrote:
Any Touhou game

Which one would you recommend for a beginner?

[1] - [2]

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-15 01:20:13

At 5/13/24 06:15 AM, aapiarts wrote: Here are some short games I liked playing in here Newgrounds.

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/925142

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/923431

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/893426

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/882692

Some Steam games I would recommend checking out are Antonball Deluxe (a breakout type of game mixed with a platformer), Alien Xenoblaster (tower defense type of platformer), BOOM! Buster demo (sorting bombs to the correct colored containers) and Annalynn (not really sure what to compare it to).

lol! I've actually played two of those browser games already. Boxbrawl Delivery and Inn & Out specifically. Very odd that I'm returning to Boxbrawl a year later.

I checked out Nereus and its concept and mechanics (random chunks and ledge climbing) feel closer to Spelunky, albeit a bit clunkier.

Annalynn and Antonball are already on my Steam wishlist and I'm waiting for them to go on sale because I'm cheap like that. Boom demo looks fun. I'll try it later.

[1] - [2]

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-15 01:53:18

How you feel about match 3? Put all my favourite shit into a game, that otherwise matches the above description, like ten years ago. Don't even know if the full version runs anymore, here's a demo-

Nobody beats the 83457 and all that.

Patreon : Ko-fi : YouTube : Twitter

BBS Signature

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-15 03:55:43

At 5/15/24 01:20 AM, Nabella wrote:
At 5/13/24 06:15 AM, aapiarts wrote: Here are some short games I liked playing in here Newgrounds.

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/925142

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/923431

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/893426

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/882692

lol! I've actually played two of those browser games already. Boxbrawl Delivery and Inn & Out specifically. Very odd that I'm returning to Boxbrawl a year later.

I checked out Nereus and its concept and mechanics (random chunks and ledge climbing) feel closer to Spelunky, albeit a bit clunkier.

Annalynn and Antonball are already on my Steam wishlist and I'm waiting for them to go on sale because I'm cheap like that. Boom demo looks fun. I'll try it later.

I highly recommend Antonball Deluxe. One of my favorite indie games ever. Also it goes to sale decently often. I've seen it be like 3,50€ at one point. I haven't played Annalynn yet but it looks fun plus the Switch port has Anton as a playable character.

Also if you like BOOM! Buster's demo then I recommend also checking out Alien Xenocide demo (sequal to Alien Xenoblaster). It's from the same dev team, Tallglass. It has a Kickstarter demo out but sadly the Kickstarter failed.

Look at him spin

BBS Signature

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-15 10:38:25

Don't know any on Newgrounds, but on Steam there's The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile on offer.

Very, very VERY bloody 2D character action game where weapons range from katanas to a chainsaw-on-the-arm to a pair of meat cleavers to a shotgun to a brick on a stick with a bunch of spiky bits, to a giant syringe and a panini maker.

And a watergun.

A panini maker and a water gun.

What you do is, you first splash your enemy under and then you hit them with the panini iron like a flail to give them burn wounds, concussions AND electrocute them all in one.

Levels are quite short and the main game is only a few hours long. Two characters with their own arsenals, campaign is about the same.

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-15 20:04:59

all my games to try on newgrounds (obviously)

BBS Signature

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-15 20:32:42

At 5/15/24 12:55 AM, Nabella wrote:
At 5/13/24 08:51 PM, GearToward wrote:
Any Touhou game
Which one would you recommend for a beginner?

Well pick any. There is an easy mode in every game so it shouldnt be bad. Touhou 6 is basically the beginning of modern touhou so I do recommend but just pick any.

BBS Signature

Response to Short, Arcadey Games 2024-05-15 20:33:06

At 5/15/24 01:53 AM, 53xy83457 wrote:

How you feel about match 3? Put all my favourite shit into a game, that otherwise matches the above description, like ten years ago. Don't even know if the full version runs anymore, here's a demo-

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/673237

You are like the 3rd person ITT to self-promote their browser game to me.

[1] - [2]