00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Catch20Two just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is Newgrounds one of the best platforms for musicians?

191 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Basically that.

To be honest, at first I thought NG sucked as a website to upload your music since I was pretty ignorant and thought music didn't get any attention on this site LMAO

But since I have started using it more, I have seen that my songs get a nice set of listens even if they don't get frontpaged, and IF they get frontpaged, they easily get more listens than any other website I have uploaded my music in.

Also, something that I really like is how easy it gets to meet and collab with people, since there's always a collab going on that you can join, which helps meeting other artists (which means getting to be more known) and motivate yourself trying new cool things (which means improving at your music!).

And of course, the fact that Newgrounds doesn't have any kind of algorithm means that your art isn't going to get hidden just because of how/when did you upload your art and it doesn't force you to become a "content creator" instead of an actual artist who takes time with their art.

Obviously, a big part on getting to be known and being more popular depends from interacting with other people and artists, which Newgrounds GREATLY encourages by how the website is made and the community in the page.

So I have basically for this reasons I have ended up thinking Newgrounds is one of the best platforms to upload your music to.

What do you guys think? Do you think there are better platforms? Or is Newgrounds one of the best ones?

BBS Signature

In terms of music NG kinda sucks at first due to very strict copyright system that will probably ban you, causing confusion and making an appeal proving your work is, well, yours.

But after all of this NG becomes one of the greatest options with a small (compared to the big boys like YT and SoundCloud for example) but helpful community, collab system and even selecting a CC licence for your projects.

BBS Signature

At 5/11/24 10:00 AM, NikoN1nja wrote: In terms of music NG kinda sucks at first due to very strict copyright system that will probably ban you, causing confusion and making an appeal proving your work is, well, yours.

Yeah, I kinda get why they have that but it sucks a lot since I have some friends that got permanently banned from posting music because they used some loops that were copyrighted and there's no chance of getting unbanned, just creating another account.

It's extremely unfair imo.

BBS Signature

At 5/11/24 10:00 AM, NikoN1nja wrote: In terms of music NG kinda sucks at first due to very strict copyright system that will probably ban you, causing confusion and making an appeal proving your work is, well, yours.

At 5/11/24 10:07 AM, Latadenata wrote:
Yeah, I kinda get why they have that but it sucks a lot since I have some friends that got permanently banned from posting music because they used some loops that were copyrighted and there's no chance of getting unbanned, just creating another account.

It's extremely unfair imo.

The detection system was introduced due to how ridiculous the flood of stolen content was being uploaded on a daily basis, alongside the resulting DMCA's. Without it, the audio portal would of been shut down/removed entirely a couple years ago.

The site average's around 100-200 detections per day of unscouted accounts uploading content which the detection system holds. The overwhelming majority of it is people uploading stolen content to try and sneak it into their Geometry Dash levels, or pretending to be someone they aren't. That's also on top of all the big surge in flagged-content that needs to be dealt with from uploads which are able to bypass the system that needs removing (i.e. AI-Gen'd Music, mashups etc.). Original works which contain some commercial unedited loops from popular packs are a side-effect of the detection system slamming something, but that's something which can easily get appealed with a quick DAW-screenshot etc. Ultimately it exists because there's no other choice right now.

If appeals aren't dealt with on-time due to very high volumes, the two ways of getting it looked at are:

1) https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1489791

2) DM one of the audio mods

Ban-Evasion is not encouraged and is also against site-rules. If either of you have contacts which are struggling, please get them to have their appeals re-checked (via their original accounts) through either of the two above methods for a quicker response

| Multi-Genre Composer, Main Preferences Are Atmosphere Crafting & Technical Detailing/Palettes | Audio Portal Moderator |

| FREE Audio Resources List For Composers | NG Audio Pub Discord | Follow These Legends! |

BBS Signature

It's very easy to get attention (Frontpaging etc) without having to do marketing or word-spreading.

The catch is......Newgrounders seem to gravitate more towards EDM and urban genres

At 5/19/24 03:17 AM, Drakensson wrote: The catch is......Newgrounders seem to gravitate more towards EDM and urban genres

You definitely got that one right.

At first, I pretty much only saw EDM and Hard DNB music get lots of views and into the frontpage, which was somewhat weird to me since I don't really like those genres pretty much, and it made me stay back from trying to upload anything to NG thinking it wont work.

Tho to be honest, I have felt lately that more genres have been popping out at the frontpage and getting more attention, I have a lot of frontpaged songs already and none of them are neither EDM or an urban genre.

BBS Signature

The only interaction I got on my posts on every other site was bot accounts trying to sell followers, so that's a few points in NG's favor.

At 5/20/24 01:51 PM, Bansheebutt wrote: The only interaction I got on my posts on every other site was bot accounts trying to sell followers

I swear to god this is SO TRUE.

Soundcloud seems to be the most guilty of that in my case, all of my songs in Soundcloud only get me likes from bots and a lot of DMs asking me for money so I can get more followers.

BBS Signature

Through my experience NG is the place my music gets the most recognition. I think people here are more interested in genuine artistic expression than in most places, probably because it's a community of creatives. Like my most recent track has 12 plays on soundcloud, but over 3k on NG. I personally did nothing to promote it on either platform, in fact no i tell a lie, i shared a link to the soundcloud release on Elektronauts and shared it in the audio advertisements thread on NG... so yeah. On NG it feels like people generally appreciate music as a craft.

BBS Signature

It is to Newgrounds' extreme benefit that they're so strict about copyrighted content, samples, loops, etc. from a legal standpoint as well as a creative one. I love to hear the results after decades of a community of people who create music completely from scratch. You want to talk about innovation in music - who else is doing that nowadays?

BBS Signature