00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Callipsio just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How to turn a rpg into a collecathon?

98 Views | 0 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I know the short answer is: "learn to code" but I'm working with what I know and have now

As for the actual question: I used a cruddy game making app to design something Banjo-Kazooieish, but the engine had no ability to keep track of anything from level to level, so I shortened the collecting to solely finding a "key" per level to be able unlock the door that leads out of the level. It was fun and over time there was a trilogy, with everything following similar collect-a-thon feel

But now I have RPG maker and just realized it's stable enough not to freeze and/or randomly unravel (yes this happened before) . Technically I could reimagine the game with a top-down perspective easily, and expand on scenarios , ect.. But what does one do for collection?

I was thinking having individual "events" that would disappear when you interact, but that will make any map lag if I do anything like Banjo Kazooie....

Also was thinking fighting enemies that award what you need to collect would work, but that'll simply let players grind and blast through all the "note doors" as soon as they reach them

I was also thinking of simply scaling back how much players need to collect, but it wouldn't be a collectathon then?

What do you think: Basically I'm asking how would you turn Banjo-Kazooie into a rpg, and/or if it's possible?

BBS Signature