00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

qamar123 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Reasons why you quit a game?

1,270 Views | 87 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-08 18:03:48

Other than simply finishing/completing it, have you ever just quit a game because of something that irked or frustrated you? I have two examples.

Cult of the Lamb

Although I did technically beat it, I did gave up on completing the DLC. One factor is I got real sick of taking care of my braindead followers! I gave them all the tools they need to have them clean after themselves but they refused to do it on the “special” poops. Why, if they’re so special, then why the hell do they taint the place like any other pile of crap. Then they get angry, and complain, some just turn on you: all because you were too busy to wipe their ass after they had an accident. But that wasn’t the final nail on the coffin. Before reaching the DLC, I swore to never sacrifice a single individual for any reason. It’s entirely possible to do it, but there isn’t much acknowledgment of it in-game. Probably because the DLC now forces you to sacrifice a follower to reopen the level doors. That got me dejected from the game altogether.

Voices of the Void

This game, I had one specific mission I decided to aim for, which later became two. Firstly, I wanted to have enough money to buy a tv so it will loop a playthrough of a specific game just to make the place feel more like home. Eventually, I had a secondary mission that immediately became top priority: buy the Sell Gun so I can make a lot of money cleaning up the whole base. It took three weeks and quite a bit of frustration, but I finally completed those two personal missions. I was real motivated to continue… until day 2 of my spring cleaning break. It was around that day where the aliens, that are basically the mascots of the game, decided to give me a gift: a full syringe and a note. The note claims “the medicine” can buff me up, so I took it. In hindsight, it was the stupidest decision I have ever made in a video game! I now loathe those aliens and I wasn’t giving them the satisfaction of continuing further after that stupid move. The time I play a future build of that game, I’m basically going to be an enemy to those freaks! Pro Tip: Do your research on strange syringe contents before taking them!

OviVixen Master Demo (18+)

BBS Signature

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-09 01:46:04

Any game that tinybuild gets their grubby little mits on I drop immediately because it is always ruined within the next 2 updates

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-09 02:55:21

Super Mario Advance: Super Mario Bros 2.

The game basically becomes enemy spam after world 1, you could kill them, but then they would respawn, it doesn't help that you have less screen space due to the GBA's smaller screen, plus half the time enemies would spawn off screen and hit me from their.

I'm at World 7 (the final world iirc) and collected all the Ace coins up to that point, but it was just a frustrating experience, that left me seething at almost every moment thanks to the enemy respawn spam.

I'm so close to beating it 100% but idk if it's worth it if every level just started to make me hyper and rage.

Other than that, I haven't quit a game outside of just plain losing interest to beat them (ie Celest, Meat Boy, Hollow Knight), of which I never really raged on as I actually felt like it was my fault, and that there was a rhythm that's not memorizing fast enemies that spawn off screen that shows up in your small viewing range tenfold that SMA:SMB2 is.

Take it with a grain of salt, I am slower than a snail.

BBS Signature

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-09 03:02:23

I quit God of War Ragnarok after like 16 hours or so.

After doing some terrible section of the game as the kid... where you ride a yak around a swamp for like two hours... I decided the game was hot garbage and not for me.

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-09 03:42:56

At 4/9/24 02:55 AM, Drazah wrote: Super Mario Advance: Super Mario Bros 2.

The game basically becomes enemy spam after world 1, you could kill them, but then they would respawn, it doesn't help that you have less screen space due to the GBA's smaller screen, plus half the time enemies would spawn off screen and hit me from their.
I'm at World 7 (the final world iirc) and collected all the Ace coins up to that point, but it was just a frustrating experience, that left me seething at almost every moment thanks to the enemy respawn spam.
I'm so close to beating it 100% but idk if it's worth it if every level just started to make me hyper and rage.

Other than that, I haven't quit a game outside of just plain losing interest to beat them (ie Celest, Meat Boy, Hollow Knight), of which I never really raged on as I actually felt like it was my fault, and that there was a rhythm that's not memorizing fast enemies that spawn off screen that shows up in your small viewing range tenfold that SMA:SMB2 is.

Aw. Super Mario Advance was actually one of those games I was desperate to play… you know what? A lot of games I didn’t have but desperately want as a kid were often GBA games: SMA1, SMA3, and Wario Land 4! I’ve played all except WL4 since; but I have to say, although I didn’t mind SMA, I completely understand why that version frustrates most people. All n’ all, the Allstars version of SMB2 is the better version!

BBS Signature

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-09 04:37:35

I quit more games than I complete.

I think the fact is an overwhelming majority of games are not worth finishing.

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-09 07:33:23

I've quit a lot of well-received titles for having an agonizingly slow opening. If you've played any RPG that asks you to forage for 10 mushrooms in the Large Rat & Spider Forest, move some boxes around in the church basement, and/or climb down the well and investigate the mystery monster hiding in sewers, then you've completed the tutorial for dozens of others. If I'm being tasked with grinding away at a seemingly endless amount of menial quests and only be rewarded with mediocre loot and occasional scraps of fun events that will come "eventually" then I may as well just go pick up an MMO.

I think the pettiest reason I've quit a game was because the cutscenes just go on and on. I hate when I'm playing a platformer or a metroidvania and the cutscene is just the sprites idling while pages and pages of text crawl by. I'll start hitting skip if the textboxes contain nothing but ellipses, and if there's a forced cutscene seemingly every few screens on a map then I'm gonna stop playing entirely, maybe even ask for a refund if it's really annoying. Everyone hated the owl in Ocarina of Time so idk why some people still bog their games down with unavoidable chatterbox NPCs.

At this point when I hear someone insist that, "Oh but it gets good after y--" I'm just like, "No it doesn't."

At 4/9/24 04:37 AM, ZekeWatson wrote: I quit more games than I complete.

Yep. This. My solution has been to just not bother with long-form games anymore. I haven't played a good RPG in ages but I've actually been beating games now.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-09 07:38:54

At 4/9/24 07:33 AM, Chdonga wrote: I've quit a lot of well-received titles for having an agonizingly slow opening. If you've played any RPG that asks you to forage for 10 mushrooms in the Large Rat & Spider Forest, move some boxes around in the church basement, and/or climb down the well and investigate the mystery monster hiding in sewers, then you've completed the tutorial for dozens of others. If I'm being tasked with grinding away at a seemingly endless amount of menial quests and only be rewarded with mediocre loot and occasional scraps of fun events that will come "eventually" then I may as well just go pick up an MMO.

I think the pettiest reason I've quit a game was because the cutscenes just go on and on. I hate when I'm playing a platformer or a metroidvania and the cutscene is just the sprites idling while pages and pages of text crawl by. I'll start hitting skip if the textboxes contain nothing but ellipses, and if there's a forced cutscene seemingly every few screens on a map then I'm gonna stop playing entirely, maybe even ask for a refund if it's really annoying. Everyone hated the owl in Ocarina of Time so idk why some people still bog their games down with unavoidable chatterbox NPCs.

At this point when I hear someone insist that, "Oh but it gets good after y--" I'm just like, "No it doesn't."

At 4/9/24 04:37 AM, ZekeWatson wrote: I quit more games than I complete.
Yep. This. My solution has been to just not bother with long-form games anymore. I haven't played a good RPG in ages but I've actually been beating games now.

Exactly. You usually know if a games is worth playing in the first 20 minutes or so.

Maybe 1-in-1000 games surprise you by actually getting better as they go along.

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-09 16:17:32

The moment I start biting my finger out of frustration that’s when I say: “yeah I need a break”

Borking My Jorking

BBS Signature

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-10 05:33:22

Dark Souls 3, and then the rest of the Souls games.

I ain't doing all that shit to get the third ending, those first two endings I earned suit me just fine. To hell with trophy completionism- I beat it twice, I'm moving on.

Demons Souls is just dreary depressing, also its a slog. I lose interest more than anything.

Dark Souls 1 one is janky as hell, and I get lost.

Dark Souls 2 is a little better with the level design, but it's just not fun or fulfilling in any meaningful way.

Bloodborne was great. Beat it.

And I've yet to fuck with Sekiro, but that'll be way later. When I'm in the mood for ninja bullshit.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-10 11:09:36

I didn't quit but came closer to doing so than ever before when I played Mega Man X6 for the first time a few years ago. The whole thing is a "haha get fucked!!" experience from start to finish. Enemy spam, weak level design, the Nightmare effects that screw with the stage in a variety of annoying ways, etc. By the time I was playing the final stages I was very ready to give up and everyone who's played this game will know at least one reason why. The game just isn't fun or enjoyable, everything feels like it was made to screw you over rather than providing a decent challenge.

Even X7 (though it is a worse game) didn't make me feel this completely defeated. It's just a regular bad game, but it never felt like it was trying to deliberately frustrate me like X6 did.

BBS Signature

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-10 11:50:43

At 4/10/24 11:09 AM, Bundeluxe wrote: I didn't quit but came closer to doing so than ever before when I played Mega Man X6 for the first time a few years ago.

I adored X4, and a buddy of mine told me to stay away from 6. It left such a bad taste in his mouth, he didn't even touch 7.

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-10 11:54:51

At 4/9/24 03:42 AM, OviManic wrote:
Aw. Super Mario Advance was actually one of those games I was desperate to play… you know what? A lot of games I didn’t have but desperately want as a kid were often GBA games: SMA1, SMA3, and Wario Land 4! I’ve played all except WL4 since; but I have to say, although I didn’t mind SMA, I completely understand why that version frustrates most people. All n’ all, the Allstars version of SMB2 is the better version!

Megaman & Bass and the Advanced Wars franchise are some of my all-time favorites.

By now you could probably find in-browser emulations of some of these titles you mentioned! There's always Roms!

BBS Signature

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-10 12:13:49

TF2; either temporarily or permanently.

Anybody who plays TF2 already knows why.

Listen to my latest video game music release! Windup & Pitch! If you wish! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-10 12:48:17

At 4/10/24 12:13 PM, Jojo wrote: TF2; either temporarily or permanently.

Lemme guess, the bot problem?

BBS Signature

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-10 12:56:06

At 4/8/24 06:03 PM, OviManic wrote: Other than simply finishing/completing it, have you ever just quit a game because of something that irked or frustrated you? I have two examples.

Cult of the Lamb
Although I did technically beat it, I did gave up on completing the DLC. One factor is I got real sick of taking care of my braindead followers! I gave them all the tools they need to have them clean after themselves but they refused to do it on the “special” poops. Why, if they’re so special, then why the hell do they taint the place like any other pile of crap. Then they get angry, and complain, some just turn on you: all because you were too busy to wipe their ass after they had an accident. But that wasn’t the final nail on the coffin. Before reaching the DLC, I swore to never sacrifice a single individual for any reason. It’s entirely possible to do it, but there isn’t much acknowledgment of it in-game. Probably because the DLC now forces you to sacrifice a follower to reopen the level doors. That got me dejected from the game altogether.

Voices of the Void
This game, I had one specific mission I decided to aim for, which later became two. Firstly, I wanted to have enough money to buy a tv so it will loop a playthrough of a specific game just to make the place feel more like home. Eventually, I had a secondary mission that immediately became top priority: buy the Sell Gun so I can make a lot of money cleaning up the whole base. It took three weeks and quite a bit of frustration, but I finally completed those two personal missions. I was real motivated to continue… until day 2 of my spring cleaning break. It was around that day where the aliens, that are basically the mascots of the game, decided to give me a gift: a full syringe and a note. The note claims “the medicine” can buff me up, so I took it. In hindsight, it was the stupidest decision I have ever made in a video game! I now loathe those aliens and I wasn’t giving them the satisfaction of continuing further after that stupid move. The time I play a future build of that game, I’m basically going to be an enemy to those freaks! Pro Tip: Do your research on strange syringe contents before taking them!

If it's going to make me pull out my gwimbly gun then I know it's time to quit

Fuck

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-10 13:15:57

At 4/10/24 12:48 PM, OviManic wrote:
At 4/10/24 12:13 PM, Jojo wrote: TF2; either temporarily or permanently.

Lemme guess, the bot problem?

Yep haha

Hopefully they fix it at some point, but once I allowed myself to get toxic on a game that I normally enjoy, I stopped playing.

Listen to my latest video game music release! Windup & Pitch! If you wish! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-10 13:33:36

OMORI:

The fanbase but let's not blame on it the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet who bullied an artist just because they drew fanart of Kel and Ashley like it's The Coffin of Andy and Leyley. The main problem is that I just REALLY don't like Headspace and how it's designed. Now I get that the point of Headspace (spoilers ahead.) is practically a safe space for Sunny to ignore all of his real problems and that's not why I quit, I quit because Headspace is so fundamentally boring compared to Faraway Town and despite being on the Sunny Routes for two saves (Yes, two, I forgot that this game doesn't have cloud saves so any progress I made to One Day Left was obliterated and I had to redo my progress AGAIN.), Headspace isn't interesting enough to convince me to do the Omori Routes because of how little anything happens in them versus what happens in Faraway Town. Sure, it's funny seeing the differences of something that's in Headspace versus Faraway Town like Sweetheart/Ms. Candice, the problem is that this feeling isn't there in Headspace. Now, you've probably heard of this from uricksaladbar, but I feel like the Sunny Route makes it worse by inserting itself as the "true ending" in the official strategy guide, because to compare that route to the "neutral routes" of the game, it makes the neutral routes bad because of the lack of content there is. Sure, you might think "Oh but there are bosses exclusive to that route," but when has bosses been challenging enough for you after Sweetheart, and my first impression was I didn't like it but that's because I was in like the middle of it and also because I was playing the Shin Omori Tensei mod and having NO cutscene skip would make me NEVER want to continue the game further than a second save. No, I don't play the game for the bosses, yes, I get bosses are necessary in RPGs, but I play the game for the writing: the world and its' characters, and Headspace does it terrible. And to have something like that ever happen is a disaster, especially because I play Snoot Game and I Wani Hug That Gator and you can make even the bad routes be MORE interesting, hell even BETTER than the supposed best ending (Assuming that is Ending 4 because you mostly have to get the Fang/Olivia score and Anon/Inco score high, but this is because there's another requirement to get in IWHTG.). I don't see why I want to play it through JUST so I can see something that I actually like since there's some areas I would wanna explore in that route mainly because I use RPG Maker MV a lot and/or would've cheated the game so I can skip that shit and get to the one place I wanna go. At least Persona 5 doesn't have that issue, because sure, Okumura's palace is insufferable, BUT there are improvements that makes it at least better in Royal. I don't play Omori for the bosses, I play it for the plot, and Omori's one of the offenders of why I don't like "big popular RPG Maker game" because yes, it's nice to get some popularity for a game you like, but these games can feel so barebones if you went deeper into the world of RPG Maker games, like for example, Toilet in Wonderland, and that one is arguably one of my favorite RPG Maker games.

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-10 13:46:39

any form of the game making me having to redo a 30+ minute long gauntlet of some description before getting to retry the thing I actually keep losing to.

at that point I don't feel the games hard because its testing me, instead im left feeling like its only wasting my time, and that's never a feeling I like.

for poops and giggles I'll give a second example...

boss fights that feel tedious

I'll admit I didn't quit DMC3, I saw it to the end. But theres one or two bosses that felt incredibly tedious I wouldn't be surprised to learn someone who did over them.

I remember fighting this boss the first time and was thinking maybe I was just bad at the game and wasn't using a strategy that would work...low and behold I watched a speedrun of the game and the guy is doing the exact same thing I was.

I was left with that narcissistic thought of "Ok its not that I'm bad at the game, its the game that just sucks. got it."

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-10 14:01:03

Super Meat Boy Forever. Don't get me wrong, the art style and animation is incredible but the gameplay is way too clunky and not well thought out. The boss battle from world 3 was just running around a square like 10-20 times.

After a while, I decided to come back to the game.

Not working on Nightmare Cops.

Also last post.

BBS Signature

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-10 14:33:29

I completely forgot that I sunk tons of hours into Destiny. I would hop online, PS3 era with a bunch of buddies, and we would regularly do raids.

There was one fucking raid that was super convoluted to get to. You're like carefully hopping off the map, down huge falls and canyons into a dark cave. Would've never found this thing without a guide. Then when you get there, you're fighting some bigass bossfight god thing, that'll teleport you to Mars or other worlds, where you'll go blind until you die or some shit- I hated the hoops it was making you jump through.

The fight felt like bullshit, and to make matters worse, my group was getting so frustrated they devolved into toxicity- that was the moment that I said, fuck this I'm out. Never touched Destiny again. Didn't even look at Destiny 2 at all, I think I dove into GTA5 around that time instead.

Destint's legacy to me will always be the FPS that I was falling asleep playing. The sound design of the guns, the sleepy grinding for so much crap was just exhausting.

Though I still love the Cobalt blue shader I had on my Exo Titan, and their cyan buttcloth.

BBS Signature

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-10 14:37:27

i quit sonic generations for a while because i fucking hate planet wisp both acts 1 and 2 lmao

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-10 14:38:29

I stopped playing Hollow Knight because I got lost (lol) and didn't want to spend a half-hour checking every edge of the known map. I enjoyed it otherwise, so if I ever decide to finish it, I'll just have to restart the game because I've forgotten too much by now.

BBS Signature

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-10 15:39:30

I remember l used to play Super Paper Mario, l made it after Francis' fight in my old save file but quit altogether in my new one after finishing Mimi's chapter. Why? Because the gameplay basically became a "to-do" list at the levels and at Flipside in general; switching to Mario everytime, tirelessly searching for the Pure Hearts pedestrals, doing tasks... I felt like l was doing a chore, not having fun, but l still love the story and its characters though!

Brought to you by: the most Generic person ever!

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-10 16:34:23

If DLC counts, then I'd say Splatoon 2's Octo Expansion.

Inner Agent 3 (boss battle you get when you 100% all the stages in OE) was and still is extremely hard, and I don't think the reward should be some golden takoyaki hairpin after all the trouble one went through.

BBS Signature

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-10 18:10:18

At 4/10/24 03:39 PM, pencildoods wrote: I remember l used to play Super Paper Mario, l made it after Francis' fight in my old save file but quit altogether in my new one after finishing Mimi's chapter. Why? Because the gameplay basically became a "to-do" list at the levels and at Flipside in general; switching to Mario everytime, tirelessly searching for the Pure Hearts pedestrals, doing tasks... I felt like l was doing a chore, not having fun, but l still love the story and its characters though!

Okay, this one is going to be hard for me to empathize because Super Paper Mario used to be my “habit game”. Around the year Smash Brawl came out in the states, me and my folks used to live in a place with no internet or cable: just satellite TV, select DVDs, and a Wii for entertainment. Super Paper Mario I’ve replayed to completion once a month for 8 months! I was so familiar with it, even the frustrating parts of the game was like instinct to me!

A possible reason why Super Paper Mario is that special case is because unlike most platformers, you can’t refight any boss unless you start a fresh all over again. I’ve enjoyed fighting the bosses so much, it never annoyed me that I had to replay the game all over again: top that with the story and music!

BBS Signature

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-10 20:39:10

If I get bored of a game, I'll drop it. I have limited time on this planet, and I would rather not play through a game that bores me.

Currently playing: Pokemon Black, Shadow the Hedgehog, Ace Attorney 3

BBS Signature

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-11 02:33:56

I am skeptical of using the term quit with games, because sometimes it can take me years before returning to a game and finally beating it, as was the case with me and Azure Striker Gunvolt. Took me more almost 10 years to return to it and beat it sometime last year, it originally came out on the 3DS in 2014 and I beat it in 2022, on the PC version.

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-11 02:59:53

sonic as i lost interest in the blue rat's games.

Best regards

BBS Signature

Response to Reasons why you quit a game? 2024-04-11 06:58:15

Most games I drop because they are full of cutscenes. If your game is more movie than gameplay, I'm 100% getting a refund.