00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Feenixs just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Having trouble with writing a first issue.

113 Views | 1 Reply
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Been having trouble writing a comic. I'm trying to script a first issue that just introduces the characters and a day in their life (basic pilot stuff). But everytime I finish a script, I just delete everything and start over because I don't think it's good or funny enough.

I think I'm being too hard on myself. I don't have much experience writing. Any advice on how to fix this??

Ever had to knock on wood? 'Cuz I know someone who had.

BBS Signature

At 3/3/24 04:29 PM, CIGG wrote: Been having trouble writing a comic. I'm trying to script a first issue that just introduces the characters and a day in their life (basic pilot stuff). But everytime I finish a script, I just delete everything and start over because I don't think it's good or funny enough.
I think I'm being too hard on myself. I don't have much experience writing. Any advice on how to fix this??

Here's the advice I can give as someone struggling from the same problem

First try to get a idea of what is the most fundamentally important aspects of the story at hand and put those to the forefront!

Who's the main character? what are they like? how do they act? or you can go with the main characters back story or the main set up of the story.

just don't try to fall into the trap of introducing a lot of important characters in the first chapter/issue, doing so would just be information overload for the audience. the best course of action is to reveal all of this information slowly over the course of multiple chapters/issues or just keep important info/charaters on the back-burner till they're actually relevant to the story.

here's another bite of advice that's probably the most important factor in story telling, the stories message or theme!

what's the core underlining message or theme that drives the plot?

having a good one of these makes the story a lot more focused and makes writing it more easy.

here's an example of one, in the story I'm making, the theme of this story is who deserves power and why?.

Now with this theme I can make the protagonist either want to have or want to take down those with power, whilst the Antagonists are trying to keep the power or they have the same want as the protagonist but they have differing views on who deserves power and why so they do things differently.

The trick here is that having a focused theme making it easier to make characters act independently from eachother and still have them interact with each other. I can also easily make story arcs about specific characters and how they use power as that'll question both characters world views. Then I can include some philosophical depth into the mix by making these world views make sense or in some cases be something many people agree with.

But having a bad message/theme does the exact opposite as being asked "should we kick babies?" or being having a theme of "crime" is either too generalistic to be focused or you get weird looks by people think you're insane.

other then that maybe think about what you want the start and end of the story to be like and what basic plot beats would be in between.

here is the two main lessons

1.don't tell or show too much at the start, the start should hold up on its own and not be set up for something the reader doesn't care about because the intro was confusing

2.Try to have a specific message/theme you want the story to deliver, and have the ending of the story be the answer to it.

the more the question causes focused debate the better it is.

by the way.

Good luck with whatever you making, maybe I'll read it once you're done

Is currently making something with high amounts of GAMER ENERGY'S

BBS Signature