00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Vilanael just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Learning Procreate

136 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey gang,

This year I decided to teach myself Procreate and work with a tablet and pen. I only have experience with vector-based artwork and some pixel art from many moons ago, so this has been a wildly new experience for me. I spent my first two months learning the basics of the software's functionality and was rather excited with what I found! You can see the results from my scribbling here:

Now that I have a basic grasp of my new tools, I am beginning to set more complex goals for the rest of the year. Doing vector art for the past seven years has been lovely, but I feel like my inability to pick up a pen and start sketching has become a major roadblock in achieving the quality of work I want to create. Even if I decide to return to daily vectors at the end of this year, I would like to develop and retain the ability to sketch complex ideas out in Procreate first. I also really like the painterly feeling of brushes and would like to experiment with as many textures and styles as I possibly can.

So yeah! I thought I'd make a thread and ask for any feedback, advice, critique, or whatever as I go along. If anyone has been down a similar road, has tips or stories for an absolute beginner working in a new medium, or even funny brush packs to try, I would love to hear about them. I'll probably update this thread every month or two :)

Response to Learning Procreate 2024-04-09 22:15:05

Bumping this a little early as I have a specific question regarding procreate on the ipad. Why does the software switch to the eraser sometimes when I pull my apple pencil away from the screen? Is there a gesture with the pencil that I'm unaware of or have I accidentally been dragging my finger along the same point of the UI?

Response to Learning Procreate 2024-04-09 22:26:14 (edited 2024-04-09 22:27:10)

At 4/9/24 10:15 PM, Zfert wrote: Bumping this a little early as I have a specific question regarding procreate on the ipad. Why does the software switch to the eraser sometimes when I pull my apple pencil away from the screen? Is there a gesture with the pencil that I'm unaware of or have I accidentally been dragging my finger along the same point of the UI?

Been using it for the past 3-4 years and have the same question

its decent software tho like how it automatically turns things into lines when you hold them

Response to Learning Procreate 2024-04-09 23:01:46 (edited 2024-04-09 23:05:42)

I guess while I have the thread up here, I might as well also log March in:

March had a few landscape pieces that I was really happy with, and some decent sketches that translated well into vector artwork that will be posted here at a later date. I still think I struggle a lot with utilizing the stylus to its full potential and I'm still waiting for that moment where it really clicks. It also became apparent that I can't get away with no reference anymore. This has probably been one of my worst habits with vector art and I desperately need to break it if I want to create more complex figures and structure...

Response to Learning Procreate 2024-04-10 14:21:45

At 4/9/24 10:15 PM, Zfert wrote: Bumping this a little early as I have a specific question regarding procreate on the ipad. Why does the software switch to the eraser sometimes when I pull my apple pencil away from the screen? Is there a gesture with the pencil that I'm unaware of or have I accidentally been dragging my finger along the same point of the UI?

it could be because of a gesture on newer pencils- if you have the magnetic type with a flat side, double tapping near the "lead" on the flat side will switch from brush to eraser and vice versa.

Response to Learning Procreate 2024-04-10 22:37:14

At 4/10/24 02:21 PM, wretchretch wrote:
it could be because of a gesture on newer pencils- if you have the magnetic type with a flat side, double tapping near the "lead" on the flat side will switch from brush to eraser and vice versa.

Yeah that's definitely it, thank you so much :)