00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

YubaOfficial just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What's the game with the coolest mechanic?

293 Views | 20 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

My favorite has to be OXENFREE, its time loop mechanic is really weird but fun to play through. But i wanna know what ur guys' favorites are

*monkey noises*

BBS Signature

Response to What's the game with the coolest mechanic? 2024-02-16 23:44:47

I really love how what other players do and where they go affects the landscape and allows people to help each other in Death Stranding.

It's especially great because of how it ties into the story and worldbuilding. Even while you walk alone, you're all working together.

BBS Signature

Response to What's the game with the coolest mechanic? 2024-02-17 03:49:45

Gravity mechanics.

I wish we had more of it, but I can understand why we don't.

Still wish Portal 2 had it's adhesion gel (wall walking) in the final.

Take it with a grain of salt, I am slower than a snail.

BBS Signature

Response to What's the game with the coolest mechanic? 2024-02-17 09:44:14

At 2/17/24 03:49 AM, Drazah wrote: Gravity mechanics.

I wish we had more of it, but I can understand why we don't.

Still wish Portal 2 had it's adhesion gel (wall walking) in the final.

You might like this one from NG:

(That being said, I’ve also noticed that most games with gravity stuff are low budget 2D platformers. I also want to see it done more with 3D games, and by indie studios with bigger budgets.)

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to What's the game with the coolest mechanic? 2024-02-17 13:10:33

Tie between these two.

iu_1163571_2366038.webp

iu_1163572_2366038.webp

If some dev studio can create a third person shooter with both terraforming and psychokinesis it would be the GOTYAY

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to What's the game with the coolest mechanic? 2024-02-19 23:42:50

At 2/17/24 01:10 PM, Chdonga wrote: Tie between these two.

If some dev studio can create a third person shooter with both terraforming and psychokinesis it would be the GOTYAY

iu_1164720_7936681.webp

tries too hard to be edgy and is blocked by many because he acts rude towards others to feel better about himself.

BBS Signature

Response to What's the game with the coolest mechanic? 2024-02-20 00:11:56

Really liked the Sands of Time's reverse time thang back in the day.

COMMISSIONS OPEN! Support me at PATREON, SUBSCRIBESTAR or donate at my KO-FI

BBS Signature

Response to What's the game with the coolest mechanic? 2024-02-20 04:14:22

I don't know if Darkwood came up with it or not but I liked the way they did perspective. Like, the environment was always visible but you had to actively look in a given direction to illuminate & see any enemies.

Example

Response to What's the game with the coolest mechanic? 2024-02-20 15:18:57

grand theft auto 4, throw trash at people lol

Response to What's the game with the coolest mechanic? 2024-02-20 16:46:58

Zero Wing

iu_1164982_394292.webp

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

This is me saying this so your opinion could be better than mine since I don't talk about this stuff too much with my family or friends online but the Karma system in the Fallout series that affects the way you play depending on the choices you make.

Response to What's the game with the coolest mechanic? 2024-02-20 18:32:59

two words: press. turn.

A simple turn based mechanic in SMT (Persona's sister franchise) where you get a set amount of turns.

Each time you take one for each demon, the icon disappears. Once all that's gone, it's the enemies' turn.

But, what if... You hit a weakness, and it gets you an extra turn?

That is the beauty of the SMT games.

iu_1165011_17284254.gif

ich mag katzen

BBS Signature

Response to What's the game with the coolest mechanic? 2024-02-20 20:24:05

At 2/16/24 11:44 PM, purbleplays wrote: I really love how what other players do and where they go affects the landscape and allows people to help each other in Death Stranding.
It's especially great because of how it ties into the story and worldbuilding. Even while you walk alone, you're all working together.

In paper I'd hate the concept of other players impacting my game world, especially single player game world, and then you see that random guy has placed ladder across the river, left a rope for you to get up that nook and then you find some guy has literally told you to climb right and keep high to dodge the ... uh... baddies... things...

That is quite neatly executed mechanic. You are alone, but... not alone.

Response to What's the game with the coolest mechanic? 2024-02-20 20:44:49

It seems simple, but I want my choices to matter between games, for my choices in a previous game to change what happens in the next.

Only Dragon Age and Mass Effect did it for their original 3 games. Both of them fell off hard in the 4th. I suppose there is a lifespan to these things.

No pods, no casters

Response to What's the game with the coolest mechanic? 2024-02-20 20:49:57

At 2/16/24 11:07 PM, Cdemone wrote: My favorite has to be OXENFREE, its time loop mechanic is really weird but fun to play through. But i wanna know what ur guys' favorites are

I have yet to find another game that does power ups as creatively as the super mario bros series does. All of the power ups they add completely change each games style of play, a personal favorite for me is the squirrel suit

Response to What's the game with the coolest mechanic? 2024-02-20 21:28:47

i love the soul gems thing in skyrim

I podcast, make documentaries, cartoons, games and art. I also hate lawns. Love weasels. Am neutral on Snow Cones. I feel nothing about snow cones. Sometimes they are nice.

BBS Signature

Response to What's the game with the coolest mechanic? 2024-02-21 07:49:32

What's the most cool to me is when a game's mechanics are simple enough that you can just pick up and play it with no tutorial necessary.

BBS Signature

I like EGO abilities from Limbus Company. They are kinda just "super" moves but they change depending on circumstances like low SP or you can manually activate the alternate version at the cost of extra resources. These alternate versions have unique pros and cons to consider compared to the basic version of the ability, and this is interesting to think about in gameplay. They also have great animations and art.iu_1165257_10868458.webp

I am the original GetterRocka

Response to What's the game with the coolest mechanic? 2024-02-21 19:55:49

At 2/20/24 03:18 PM, susanheffley wrote: grand theft auto 4, throw trash at people lol

yes i love doing that shit

I'm the best for a reason.

BBS Signature

Response to What's the game with the coolest mechanic? 2024-02-22 03:12:25

Call me old and moldy, but I really like when Sonic runs fast so you can either roll trough stages or just jump to avoid a lot of content/maps.

"As long as you live, there's a chance for something good happening." - some anime or manga, or me

BBS Signature

There's so many that I ironicaly can't name a single one.

But if we're talking from a more recent game.... It might not be the most involved mechanic, it's really just a scene swap, but the light absorbtion and the rewriting mechanics in Alan Wake 2 are so stylishly and sleekly done and so tied to the actual narrative, it's just superb overall, helps a lot that's it's all in real time too.

iu_1165743_3854595.gif

The shadow dudes during Alan's levels are also some of the absolute coolest enemies in a horror game in a long-ass time, at least mechanicaly speaking. These assholes are always keeping you tense lol.

iu_1165742_3854595.gif