00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chyni just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

When does a cover break the rules?

99 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I'm considering uploading a cover I did of a Halsey song, but I'm confused about how the "covering" rule works here.

I had a Blitzkrieg Bop cover removed some years ago because it broke that rule, but there are covers of video game and film soundtracks, which is what confuses me. I've also seen covers of songs like Derezzed and Hey Ya which have over thousands of views and were never removed.

Where exactly is the line drawn? Is it when the cover directly samples part of the original song, or is it something else?

Response to When does a cover break the rules? 2024-02-13 07:56:08

At 2/11/24 10:50 PM, Zip-Zap-Official wrote: I'm considering uploading a cover I did of a Halsey song, but I'm confused about how the "covering" rule works here.

I had a Blitzkrieg Bop cover removed some years ago because it broke that rule, but there are covers of video game and film soundtracks, which is what confuses me. I've also seen covers of songs like Derezzed and Hey Ya which have over thousands of views and were never removed.

Where exactly is the line drawn? Is it when the cover directly samples part of the original song, or is it something else?

Covers are fine if you've made everything from scratch. You're just not aloud to use other people's copyrighted audio, so no sampling the original.

BBS Signature

Response to When does a cover break the rules? 2024-02-13 08:17:12

it also depends on if anybody cares to report it in the first place lol