00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Feenixs just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How to write good dialogue??

151 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How to write good dialogue?? 2024-02-05 11:44:15

Hi. I don’t really know how to write dialogue that is comprehensible and clear. I heard from writers that the key was to study from real life conversations, but I also heard from other people that there are limits in terms of being realistic. I just want my dialogue to be good and clear, and that’s it. So yeah, I don’t what to do with this important thing for writing stories. Thanks!

BBS Signature

Response to How to write good dialogue?? 2024-02-05 20:07:52

At 2/5/24 11:44 AM, MKSC746 wrote: Hi. I don’t really know how to write dialogue that is comprehensible and clear. I heard from writers that the key was to study from real life conversations, but I also heard from other people that there are limits in terms of being realistic. I just want my dialogue to be good and clear, and that’s it. So yeah, I don’t what to do with this important thing for writing stories. Thanks!

The only thing I can recommend is to read, read a lot, whether it be books, newspapers, magazines, articles, etc. This can help you find your style and improve it.

By reading stories in a row that, well, tell stories, day to day exploits, maybe they can help you create scenarios where, through the words, there is meaning and clarity. 

Response to How to write good dialogue?? 2024-02-06 00:01:53

At 2/5/24 11:44 AM, MKSC746 wrote: Hi. I don’t really know how to write dialogue that is comprehensible and clear. I heard from writers that the key was to study from real life conversations, but I also heard from other people that there are limits in terms of being realistic. I just want my dialogue to be good and clear, and that’s it. So yeah, I don’t what to do with this important thing for writing stories. Thanks!

Another thing to keep in mind is time period, whether it's current or past. And personalities. Is this person prone to flowery language or short sentences.

For more current era dialog or maybe in general, it can help to read aloud alone or with a friend to hear if it sounds natural.