00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

EatMyShoes just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Where is my story going!? (plz help)

202 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey yall, I've signed up for a flash fiction horror/sci fi contest, and I decided I would write a story about a man who lives in the near future where debt and poverty are at an all time high, but our main character has been given a golden opportunity to finally escape debt, and avoid the police who throw you in jail if you can't pay your weekly debt, but something goes wrong and instead it doesn't work, and is thrown in jail instead.

I need to somehow take this premise and write a 1k word story that ends with something really scary, or at least something highly unfortunate.

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts on this PLEASE share them as I want to make as best a story I can!

Response to Where is my story going!? (plz help) 2024-01-20 09:09:37

That setup is still too vague to give significant input that isn't just straight up making a plot for you, don't you have anything more specific?

Those are my 2 cents, anyway!

Response to Where is my story going!? (plz help) 2024-01-20 12:25:22

At 1/20/24 09:09 AM, ArGxITA wrote: That setup is still too vague to give significant input that isn't just straight up making a plot for you, don't you have anything more specific?

it only needs to be a thousand words, i mean you wouldnt be making up a plot so much as a hook, but, look its about a man in the future trying to get out of debt because if you fall behind on your debt you're thrown in prison, but the man is given a golden opportunity to get out of this debt, but in doing so some how messes up, and is thrown in jail.

But heres another twist, what if in the future our gold standard no longer remains and what the "standard" is changes all the time, or like, NFTs and crypto have replaced normal money?

Response to Where is my story going!? (plz help) 2024-01-21 07:00:19

Make it so that this "golden opportunity" is something really terrible. Killing a helpless person. Placing a bomb in school. Something like this, but he is promised he will not be caught. Then show that he is in jail, but make it look like he refused to do this and went to jail instead. And in the very end show that he was sentenced to lifelong prison for that horrible thing.

"Please don't tap on the glass. Penguins can see and hear you alright. They just don't care."

Response to Where is my story going!? (plz help) 2024-01-21 13:30:25

At 1/21/24 07:00 AM, Remi-le-Oduen wrote: Make it so that this "golden opportunity" is something really terrible. Killing a helpless person. Placing a bomb in school. Something like this, but he is promised he will not be caught. Then show that he is in jail, but make it look like he refused to do this and went to jail instead. And in the very end show that he was sentenced to lifelong prison for that horrible thing.

Thank you for the suggestion my friend!!

Response to Where is my story going!? (plz help) 2024-01-21 13:34:00

At 1/21/24 01:30 PM, InTheNowEventually wrote:
At 1/21/24 07:00 AM, Remi-le-Oduen wrote: Make it so that this "golden opportunity" is something really terrible. Killing a helpless person. Placing a bomb in school. Something like this, but he is promised he will not be caught. Then show that he is in jail, but make it look like he refused to do this and went to jail instead. And in the very end show that he was sentenced to lifelong prison for that horrible thing.
Thank you for the suggestion my friend!!

Don't forget to post your story here) would be cool to read it

"Please don't tap on the glass. Penguins can see and hear you alright. They just don't care."