00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

urdad514 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How much fluff is too much fluff text?

176 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

So I'm like...I think a solid 50% done with writing my visual novel and I've noticed something, it's become somewhat easier for me to fulfill my quota of at least 1k ~ 2k word each chapter

I expected to give up much sooner and the story shorter but instead I come up with tons of ways to fill the story...it does make me wonder though, are some of the words I write unnecessary filler or are they a good way of showing the POV character's personality?

At what point does it become too much? One page, two pages worth?

NEANIGHT DEMO

BBS Signature

Response to How much fluff is too much fluff text? 2024-01-18 15:12:53

The advice I generally get, which may or may not be fully applicable to visual novels is that every single line should serve at least two purposes. Of any line ask yourself:

Does this advance the plot?

Does this advance the characters?

Does this establish the setting/contribute to the mood?

Is this particularly entertaining to read?

If the answer is not "yes" to at least two of these, then you may want to rewrite the line.

Now if you feel stuck and that there's nothing you can write but filler, a trick that I use is to look at where im stuck and go back ten sentences. Somewhere around there I'll usually find the problem that knocked me off course.

I hope this could help.

Response to How much fluff is too much fluff text? 2024-01-20 09:32:21

Keeping in mind it's for a visual novel, if the descriptions are done by an omniscient narrator, maybe try to use as least fluff as posible in descriptions of scenery or stuff happening. When it comes to feelings they have to be specifically about the character so you can play around there a little as long as it stays in character and it adds (if possible new) info about them.

If the character is the one narrating, then they'll give more input when describing, sometimes reminiscing of stuff that's happened before, their opinion on things and so. The omniscient narrator can do some of this, but when it comes to comments and a certain way to speak, it's better to have the character do it.

Take for example YIIK where the protagonist goes off on long rants about petty common stuff. The text itself may not contribute much to the plot but it tells you how snobbish and conceited the protag is by the way he chooses to express himself.

Those are my 2 cents, anyway!

Response to How much fluff is too much fluff text? 2024-01-20 11:53:32

If it can be cut, it probably should be.