00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Lunauwubaby just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I'm questioning my genre identity

348 Views | 11 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I'm questioning my genre identity 2024-01-11 09:18:56

I have a hard time catagorizing myself and figuring out which microgenre or branch I really fit into. Certainly under the "pop" umbrella, but do I fall under bedroom pop, hyperpop, synthpop?

Response to I'm questioning my genre identity 2024-01-11 10:52:29

i haven't listened to a lot of hyperpop as of now, but your song sounds like what i'd think hyperpop sounds like

with that said, don't worry about fitting into genre categories. just be you. i'm not trying to imply that the concept of genre is stupid, but i'm just saying that it's not the be-all end-all

"i am my dreams."

a/autumn/aden, any pronouns, gnc, pan

my website: https://acheney.xyz

Response to I'm questioning my genre identity 2024-01-12 17:55:43

At 1/11/24 10:52 AM, acheney wrote: i haven't listened to a lot of hyperpop as of now, but your song sounds like what i'd think hyperpop sounds like

with that said, don't worry about fitting into genre categories. just be you. i'm not trying to imply that the concept of genre is stupid, but i'm just saying that it's not the be-all end-all

This, i personally have absolutely no clue what genre I fit into and im totally fine with that

Just keep doing you and let yourself have your own style :)

Charl

Response to I'm questioning my genre identity 2024-01-14 15:00:51

This sounds like a Future Bass song with Hyperpop elements. I lean more towards Future bass because Hyper pop is usually more.. hyper guess? it usually has a much higher tempo, faster drums, as well as more industrial influence. the vocals, synths, and overall sound selection definitely make it sound more like Hyperpop than the usual Future Bass song.

However, At the end of the day, none of what I just said really matters. Genres are formed around the music, not the other way around. Its better to just make music you think sounds good than to tailor to a specific genres elements. this kind of stuff is how new genres are created.

Response to I'm questioning my genre identity 2024-01-14 19:53:15

Yeah, this is hyperpop. Especially with that style of vocals.

BBS Signature

Seems like your standard electronic pop music with a hint of future bass. The big question is, what do you want it to be?

BBS Signature

Response to I'm questioning my genre identity 2024-01-15 11:40:31

What does "genre" even mean anymore? Take Jazz for example. Jazz seems to be so broad it can include anything or nothing at the same time.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just call it whatever genre you think it is.

pfp: BellieQwQ | website: jaypedia.xyz | bandcamp: thejayjay.bandcamp.com

thanq yuo

Response to I'm questioning my genre identity 2024-01-15 12:50:05

At 1/15/24 11:40 AM, TheJayJay wrote: What does "genre" even mean anymore? Take Jazz for example. Jazz seems to be so broad it can include anything or nothing at the same time.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just call it whatever genre you think it is.

the only reason i care is because sadly the music industry is governed by algorythms which make catagorizing music super important. fitting into "boxes" is essential to growth, and while i have no interest in chasing trends that don't inspire me, i at least want to make sure i'm putting myself in the right box lol

Was I the only one who came here after reading the title, thinking it was a talk about LGBTQ+?

That aside, your song are very good!

Response to I'm questioning my genre identity 2024-01-15 16:24:54

At 1/15/24 03:41 PM, thespectre0 wrote: Was I the only one who came here after reading the title, thinking it was a talk about LGBTQ+?

That aside, your song are very good!

that was the joke LOL

Response to I'm questioning my genre identity 2024-01-27 12:43:57

At 1/11/24 10:52 AM, acheney wrote: i haven't listened to a lot of hyperpop as of now, but your song sounds like what i'd think hyperpop sounds like

same here. I kinda just do whatever i like and am proud of it.

My art

BBS Signature

Response to I'm questioning my genre identity 2024-02-02 14:09:43

Try to make the genres as specific as possible, like mixing genres, discovering subgenres.

Also, make things that you never made, and try to improve in that thing

Well, that's all i have to say, hope it helps.