00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Enoughforcast just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Would love some feedback!

223 Views | 21 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Would love some feedback! 2023-12-27 14:18:32

Hey all! I've taken a long break from art over the last year, but I've recently picked my pen back up. I wanted to turn 2024 into the year I push for improvement and exposure to my stuff and I would appreciate thoughts/opinions on my stuff.

This is my most recent drawing

I'm usually a little tentative when posting on the community feed, so I'm trying to be better about actively getting into the community. I've been here for a long time and visit the site multiple times a day, so I should participate more lol

Thanks!

Response to Would love some feedback! 2023-12-27 14:25:26

Simple and cute I love it, I'm not really good at doing feedback.

Hi Nice To Meet You I'm Yosos and I do Pixel art.

BBS Signature

accidentally hit post with an error lol

Response to Would love some feedback! 2023-12-27 14:42:08

At 12/27/23 02:25 PM, Yosos wrote: Simple and cute I love it, I'm not really good at doing feedback.

Not a problem at all! I appreciate it regardless, it does mean a lot :)

Response to Would love some feedback! 2023-12-27 16:34:44

I like it, it reminded me of Merrie Melodies intro. Also, it's very cute and feels nostalgic, which is a lovely feelings

Being 100% alive means taking a 50% of actions and having a 50% of perspective

BBS Signature

Response to Would love some feedback! 2023-12-27 16:39:16

At 12/27/23 04:34 PM, EmsDeLaRoZ wrote: I like it, it reminded me of Merrie Melodies intro. Also, it's very cute and feels nostalgic, which is a lovely feelings

Thank you! I like adding that slightly fuzzy look, feels like it adds a lot to that cozy feeling ^^

Response to Would love some feedback! 2023-12-27 16:58:53

It's a very clean, simple and well done style, like the other replies here I can only really give it praise.

Perhaps you could experiment with trying a little 4 panel story with the character in this style? Or a scene with him interacting with another character.

Response to Would love some feedback! 2023-12-27 17:13:05

At 12/27/23 04:58 PM, Lexcelu wrote: It's a very clean, simple and well done style, like the other replies here I can only really give it praise.

Perhaps you could experiment with trying a little 4 panel story with the character in this style? Or a scene with him interacting with another character.

Thank you! I appreciate that a lot! I feel self-conscious a lot about my art so it's nice to hear others like it.

I like that idea a lot, I grew up animating a lot. I enjoyed telling stories, so smaller comic panels could be a nice way to keep telling them

Response to Would love some feedback! 2023-12-27 17:25:30

The Christmas lights wrapped around it's neck are kind of confusing, since they're a similar angle and line thickness to the jaw/chin.

It's a very minor flaw, but it took me a few seconds to tell the difference between its jaw and the light's cord.

Response to Would love some feedback! 2023-12-27 18:28:53

At 12/27/23 05:25 PM, zeddy1267 wrote: The Christmas lights wrapped around it's neck are kind of confusing, since they're a similar angle and line thickness to the jaw/chin.

It's a very minor flaw, but it took me a few seconds to tell the difference between its jaw and the light's cord.

Actually, I'm happy to hear you say that because I had that EXACT thought after I finished it. I double guessed my judgement and finished it in a green instead of black but I didn't do a great job of separating it from the rest of the line art. It's something I'll work on going forward :)

Response to Would love some feedback! 2023-12-27 18:45:45

At 12/27/23 06:28 PM, Mushcapp wrote:
At 12/27/23 05:25 PM, zeddy1267 wrote: The Christmas lights wrapped around it's neck are kind of confusing, since they're a similar angle and line thickness to the jaw/chin.

Actually, I'm happy to hear you say that because I had that EXACT thought after I finished it. I double guessed my judgement and finished it in a green instead of black but I didn't do a great job of separating it from the rest of the line art. It's something I'll work on going forward :)

Oh yeah I didn't even know it was in green until you pointed it out lol.

I guess another weird point is that the lights wrap up and around it's head, but there's nothing for the light to be wrapped on. They have no ears for the lights to go over, and the lights don't go up and over the mushroom, so it's a little strange how they go up to seemingly nothing.

Response to Would love some feedback! 2023-12-27 19:10:04

At 12/27/23 06:45 PM, zeddy1267 wrote:
At 12/27/23 06:28 PM, Mushcapp wrote:

Oh yeah I didn't even know it was in green until you pointed it out lol.

I guess another weird point is that the lights wrap up and around it's head, but there's nothing for the light to be wrapped on. They have no ears for the lights to go over, and the lights don't go up and over the mushroom, so it's a little strange how they go up to seemingly nothing.

Overall i just need to work on making sure the secondary details read well and make sense. I didn't even think about that when I first put it together

Response to Would love some feedback! 2023-12-28 04:12:14

At 12/27/23 02:18 PM, Mushcapp wrote: Hey all! I've taken a long break from art over the last year, but I've recently picked my pen back up. I wanted to turn 2024 into the year I push for improvement and exposure to my stuff and I would appreciate thoughts/opinions on my stuff.

I'm usually a little tentative when posting on the community feed, so I'm trying to be better about actively getting into the community. I've been here for a long time and visit the site multiple times a day, so I should participate more lol
Thanks!

The drawing is really cute! Lil tip tho, if you wanna make the christmas lights look fully lit, then color them closer to white, instead of having them at the most fully saturated. Cuz that makes it look like the lights really ON, yknow? Also since it's a colored christmas light, you could have the colored light shine onto the character n stuff! Reflective light and different colors n shit always spices up an artwork a ton! Good day and good luck with your art in the future :)

I'm the best for a reason.

BBS Signature

Response to Would love some feedback! 2023-12-28 08:41:56

At 12/28/23 04:12 AM, TheBestBroster wrote:
At 12/27/23 02:18 PM, Mushcapp wrote: Hey all! I've taken a long break from art over the last year, but I've recently picked my pen back up. I wanted to turn 2024 into the year I push for improvement and exposure to my stuff and I would appreciate thoughts/opinions on my stuff.

Thanks!
The drawing is really cute! Lil tip tho, if you wanna make the christmas lights look fully lit, then color them closer to white, instead of having them at the most fully saturated. Cuz that makes it look like the lights really ON, yknow? Also since it's a colored christmas light, you could have the colored light shine onto the character n stuff! Reflective light and different colors n shit always spices up an artwork a ton! Good day and good luck with your art in the future :)

Thank you for the tip!! I'll apply both going forward. It's small things I didn't think about that when they're pointed out make me go "oh shit, you're right" lol

Response to Would love some feedback! 2023-12-28 08:45:31

At 12/28/23 08:41 AM, Mushcapp wrote:
At 12/28/23 04:12 AM, TheBestBroster wrote:

Thanks!
Thank you for the tip!! I'll apply both going forward. It's small things I didn't think about that when they're pointed out make me go "oh shit, you're right" lol

Ahh yer welcome, glad I could help :)

I'm the best for a reason.

BBS Signature

Response to Would love some feedback! 2023-12-28 10:41:45

Pretty cute! It kind of looks like there are tiny sad faces on the mushroom's pupils

Join the Death Note Collab!!!...If you wanna...○ × ○

BBS Signature

Response to Would love some feedback! 2023-12-28 11:59:42

Thanks!

Going on the piece you linked to.

I like this character and how you draw it and how you have colored it.

A couple of points though.

1. Where the hat and the chin goes over the face respective the body I would suggest a thicker line and a shadow below. Trying different line thickness can be useful.
  2. With the crying eyes I felt it was overdoing it having tears flowing above the eyes. Maybe just be me.
  3. Changed the position of one arm, as it generally helps the pose not having both sides of the body doing the same thing.
  4. Added small toes as the legs looked like they where cut of at the bottom and that bothered me a bit. Could also just be me.

iu_1136394_8016576.png

That is just a couple of thoughts.

Don't stress out on having to improve. You're doing fine.

See my profile page for link to showroom

BBS Signature

Response to Would love some feedback! 2023-12-28 12:02:58

At 12/28/23 10:41 AM, VanVeleca wrote: Pretty cute! It kind of looks like there are tiny sad faces on the mushroom's pupils

Thank you!!! ⌒_⌒

Response to Would love some feedback! 2023-12-28 12:15:23

At 12/28/23 11:59 AM, PerKGrok wrote:

Thanks!
Going on the piece you linked to.
I like this character and how you draw it and how you have colored it.

A couple of points though.

That is just a couple of thoughts.
Don't stress out on having to improve. You're doing fine.

Thank you so much for such an in-depth response!

I realize now that I've been looking back at the piece that I needed to add more emphasis on the chin. Not only to stop it from disappearing but also to have it stand out from the light string.

The eyes were intended to read like watery whites of the eyes, but I dont think it reads as well as I wanted it to.

You're right about the arm though, I kinda wanted him to seem helpless and tied up but I think adding the variety to the other side makes it more interesting to look at.

Thank you for the kind words :) it means a lot

Response to Would love some feedback! 2023-12-28 23:35:56

At 12/28/23 09:16 PM, JJBoltonNG wrote: I like it!

I think you nailed it with the overall style that kind of reminds of a mix between studio Ghibli and modern European children's picture book illustrations.

Thank you so much!!! That means a lot and I appreciate it! ^^

Response to Would love some feedback! 2023-12-29 01:22:46

Not bad! Only thing I'd say to look out for is something that was already said: the width and brightness value of the wire causes a couple minor bits of confusion (tangents, mistaking the wire for a body line, etc.) and that's a pretty easy fix. Illustration is a lifelong struggle with tangents.

At 12/29/23 01:22 AM, Skoops wrote: Not bad! Only thing I'd say to look out for is something that was already said: the width and brightness value of the wire causes a couple minor bits of confusion (tangents, mistaking the wire for a body line, etc.) and that's a pretty easy fix. Illustration is a lifelong struggle with tangents.

Thank you! I appreciate your opinion and agree completely. I appreciate the video link too I'm watching it now :)