00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Echo6261 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anyone else enjoy sketching/drawing in MS Paint?

506 Views | 23 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Or any MS Paint like environment, it could be alternatively be a clone of MS Paint such as something like xpaint for linux or whatever comes as a basic painting program with MacOS. Just a very bare basic environment without the bells and whistles of more advanced programs like photoshop. It's really fun and lets you test confidence because you really don't get to use pressure control or line stabilization, so your own abilities dictate how it looks.

Response to Anyone else enjoy sketching/drawing in MS Paint? 2023-12-26 11:48:31

@mawibblap i think you’ll like this thread

art thread!! :D

art nerd who has nothing to talk about, other than art or extremely specific fandom stuff

BBS Signature

so, it appears that someone has summoned me...

yeah I do enjoy drawing on mspaint, I'm used to it and I like it, it's also simple af.

I actually know many tips and tricks about mspaint.

here's my old poast on another similar thread if you are willing to read them.

I may not be the brightest in the box full of light-bulbs, but that doesn't mean I can't light the way in this dark world.

(you can call me wilson or mawi if you want, I'm also the one who made skibidi club.)

TOYHOUSEYOUTUBETUMBLRREDDIT

BBS Signature

Hello. MS-Paint artist here. I used it beacouse i coudnt bother using a more proffesional program. I will start to use Krita in 2024. But MS-Paint is just reely fun even tho its simplistic as fuck. Its one the few program that has its own identety unique for itself with what you can make with it. You just get an apeal prom the program and its just plain fun to use simply.

Some stuff i have made in it:

Response to Anyone else enjoy sketching/drawing in MS Paint? 2023-12-26 13:29:42

I just sketched this in xpaint right now, not bad if I do say so myself.

iu_1135490_20436071.png

iu_1135491_20436071.png

At least it kinda looks like what I did a rough sketch of.

Response to Anyone else enjoy sketching/drawing in MS Paint? 2023-12-27 03:27:04

I love THIS artist (DA link, sorry) . They work in MS paint and do so cool things.

I do use MS paint for quick tasks myself too. be it notes, sketches and ideas - because my other drawing program takes a year (or so it feels) to open.

Response to Anyone else enjoy sketching/drawing in MS Paint? 2023-12-27 04:02:24

oh yeah i fucking love using mspaint. its fucking awesome. lightweight but versatile if you know how to use it.

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone else enjoy sketching/drawing in MS Paint? 2023-12-29 11:32:09

At 12/27/23 04:02 AM, c4ndl3W1ck wrote: oh yeah i fucking love using mspaint. its fucking awesome. lightweight but versatile if you know how to use it.

Haha Homestuck profile picture, get it because the creator uses MS Paint to make the comic

In all seriousness, I believe that’s a testament to how impressive things can be made with simple/restrictive tools if the artist is thinking outside the box.

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone else enjoy sketching/drawing in MS Paint? 2023-12-29 11:35:50

This also feels like a good excuse to plug a webcomic by a friend of mine who uses Paint to draw. It’s a cool mix of fantasy and slice of life, with a huge universe full of interesting world-building.

Come take a look!

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone else enjoy sketching/drawing in MS Paint? 2023-12-29 14:12:00

ya its fun to use for making quick doodles

Response to Anyone else enjoy sketching/drawing in MS Paint? 2023-12-29 14:48:23

It sounds fun to try and do a full piece in MS paint, I'ven't got any ideas what to do on it though.

I use linux so I installed a program that seemed similar called kolour paint.

I am the original GetterRocka

Response to Anyone else enjoy sketching/drawing in MS Paint? 2023-12-29 14:58:25

At 12/29/23 11:32 AM, Thetageist wrote:
At 12/27/23 04:02 AM, c4ndl3W1ck wrote: oh yeah i fucking love using mspaint. its fucking awesome. lightweight but versatile if you know how to use it.
Haha Homestuck profile picture, get it because the creator uses MS Paint to make the comic

In all seriousness, I believe that’s a testament to how impressive things can be made with simple/restrictive tools if the artist is thinking outside the box.

not to be incredibly autistic and snatch the chance to infodump but most of the comic was actually done in photoshop! though there were some panels done in mspaint. The first panel of the first adventure, Jailbreak, was done in mspaint. I don't remember if the rest of Jailbreak was done in mspaint, though.

But yeah. Homestuck is one of the reasons I use mspaint :)

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone else enjoy sketching/drawing in MS Paint? 2023-12-29 15:31:39

I love to occasionally draw my lineart in mspaint because it gives that messy and imperfect look in the lines that normal art programs don't!

Here's an example

iu_1137125_15146163.webp

play dialtown play dialtown play dialtwon play dialtown (really good game :) )

follow me if ye like my work!

https://crimsonsaber.carrd.co/

BBS Signature

At 12/29/23 02:48 PM, GetterRocka wrote: It sounds fun to try and do a full piece in MS paint, I'ven't got any ideas what to do on it though.
I use linux so I installed a program that seemed similar called kolour paint.

Since you're on linux, give xpaint a shot. It's pretty old, with copyright dating back to 1992. But it's very close to classic MS-Paint in a way.

Response to Anyone else enjoy sketching/drawing in MS Paint? 2023-12-29 16:45:28

hell yea, its fun opening up ms paint and going wild with doodles

Response to Anyone else enjoy sketching/drawing in MS Paint? 2023-12-29 18:12:45

At 12/26/23 09:58 AM, xeiavica wrote: Or any MS Paint like environment, it could be alternatively be a clone of MS Paint such as something like xpaint for linux or whatever comes as a basic painting program with MacOS. Just a very bare basic environment without the bells and whistles of more advanced programs like photoshop. It's really fun and lets you test confidence because you really don't get to use pressure control or line stabilization, so your own abilities dictate how it looks.

I used to draw silly pixel comics way back in 1996~1998. No dialog, just long tapestries of silent-movie style nonsense.

Nowadays, I use it as a whiteboard for prototyping and sketching out ideas.

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone else enjoy sketching/drawing in MS Paint? 2023-12-29 18:53:51

At 12/26/23 09:58 AM, xeiavica wrote: Or any MS Paint like environment, it could be alternatively be a clone of MS Paint such as something like xpaint for linux or whatever comes as a basic painting program with MacOS. Just a very bare basic environment without the bells and whistles of more advanced programs like photoshop. It's really fun and lets you test confidence because you really don't get to use pressure control or line stabilization, so your own abilities dictate how it looks.

MS Paint is amazing! Only true artists use MS Paint, however, I use it for quick animations/doodles or shitposts.

Vestik

Response to Anyone else enjoy sketching/drawing in MS Paint? 2023-12-29 19:15:52

Made this in MS Paint, had a bit of fun. I found some pleasure in the stripped down nature of it, case of avoiding the paradox of choice. Overall though MS Paint is lacking in some quality of life features that push me to only use it if I'm feelin like switching up the art process a bit. The lack of a layers system being the biggest feature. Lassoing in Paint always pick up the background behind the drawing (even if there's nothing but white in the background), coloring is a pain, and of course drawing a character on a background makes mess ups hard to fix.

Again sometimes I'm up for it but I need to be in a mood, could never imagine myself using it consistently.

I'm a fuckin Grimbo Jimbo

Response to Anyone else enjoy sketching/drawing in MS Paint? 2023-12-29 20:00:31

I live on MS Paint! But for things such as gradient colours, I use a different program.

Here's a few examples of my work:

Response to Anyone else enjoy sketching/drawing in MS Paint? 2023-12-30 15:53:53

Don't ask me what this is supposed to represent, because I don't know either. I'm going to say some hooded hunchback, that was my original intention behind this quickly done xpaint doodle.

iu_1137809_20436071.png

Response to Anyone else enjoy sketching/drawing in MS Paint? 2023-12-30 18:14:59

Ah, I remember drawing on MS paint all the time when I was little. Good times, good times.

I barely use it anymore since I got Procreate, but mainly also because I don’t have a drawing pad and stylus for my pc so I’d have to use a mouse. I still do joke doodles in it occasionally though.

Wacky characters and groovy patterns

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone else enjoy sketching/drawing in MS Paint? 2023-12-30 21:05:19

Yes, back when it still only had one layer. While the new layer feature is nice, it also fucked up the scaling, which now always anti-aliases and bilinear filters everything I resize, regardless of what I do.

Response to Anyone else enjoy sketching/drawing in MS Paint? 2023-12-30 23:03:45

i mostly do little doodles to pass the time, never really sketch.

iu_1138029_19748522.png

i believe in you, and dont you forget that baby girl

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone else enjoy sketching/drawing in MS Paint? 2023-12-30 23:10:43

I draw all my pixel art in mc paint