00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

officialkingcrab0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

how do you texture (blender)

260 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

how do you texture (blender) 2023-12-19 14:00:40

ive always struggled when texturing models and characters - i'm not really familiar with the whole process of creating different maps and when i attempt to draw the texture on blender it always looks messy. are there any reliable tutorials i could check out (or advice)? thanks

At 12/19/23 02:00 PM, bugthread wrote: ive always struggled when texturing models and characters - i'm not really familiar with the whole process of creating different maps and when i attempt to draw the texture on blender it always looks messy. are there any reliable tutorials i could check out (or advice)? thanks

To make clear of what I speak here, I clarify small detail - textures are the 2D files you apply to 3D object which come 'materials'.

1st step to get good appearance for your model is to do a good UV map. There are simple objects that can just have texture wrap, like let say dirt on ground, but to get good looking character, one needs UV maps. Hopefully you know how to make those.

Then how to make the textures ? You can use textures and materials someone else made - i.e. one of such libraries is https://polyhaven.com/textures or https://www.blenderkit.com/ or perhaps even https://cloud.blender.org/libraries and so on. There are many and there is no practical need to create every possible texture and needed asset yourself. Blender community is a bit like a cult - in most positive way. So ... take advantage it.

Now if you feel that you want to really start from full 0, then most common external tool to make textures - not only in Blender, but also other programs is Substance Painter (and paired with Substance Designer for advanced users ), then once crafted textures from 0 in those programs, you return to Blender to assemble the Blender shader-nodes.

Response to how do you texture (blender) 2023-12-20 05:40:05

At 12/19/23 06:35 PM, Tenebrare wrote:
At 12/19/23 02:00 PM, bugthread wrote: ive always struggled when texturing models and characters - i'm not really familiar with the whole process of creating different maps and when i attempt to draw the texture on blender it always looks messy. are there any reliable tutorials i could check out (or advice)? thanks
To make clear of what I speak here, I clarify small detail - textures are the 2D files you apply to 3D object which come 'materials'.

1st step to get good appearance for your model is to do a good UV map. There are simple objects that can just have texture wrap, like let say dirt on ground, but to get good looking character, one needs UV maps. Hopefully you know how to make those.

Then how to make the textures ? You can use textures and materials someone else made - i.e. one of such libraries is https://polyhaven.com/textures or https://www.blenderkit.com/ or perhaps even https://cloud.blender.org/libraries and so on. There are many and there is no practical need to create every possible texture and needed asset yourself. Blender community is a bit like a cult - in most positive way. So ... take advantage it.

Now if you feel that you want to really start from full 0, then most common external tool to make textures - not only in Blender, but also other programs is Substance Painter (and paired with Substance Designer for advanced users ), then once crafted textures from 0 in those programs, you return to Blender to assemble the Blender shader-nodes.

thanks, i'll be sure to check out the libraries! admittedly i'm not very sure how to apply premade textures to a character seamlessly but id imagine its similar to something like dirt as you mentioned haha

Response to how do you texture (blender) 2023-12-20 06:17:58

These days there are more than a couple methods, and within each method there's a good way and a bunch of ways to do it not so great. That said, they all require a good UV unwrap.

UV unwrapping is easy enough since Blender can do it automatically, but if you want to have it unwrap in ways that don't have tons of seams in obvious places, it'd be good to look into best practices for making seams manually before doing your smart unwrap. Getting good at that requires a lot of trial and error.

From there, you can get a start with vertex painting, or go old school and edit the UV image directly from scratch, or be a fancy lad and use Substance Painter; there are a lot of options and it's good to try them all to see what works best for you.

Response to how do you texture (blender) 2023-12-20 06:23:23

At 12/20/23 05:40 AM, bugthread wrote: thanks, i'll be sure to check out the libraries! admittedly i'm not very sure how to apply premade textures to a character seamlessly but id imagine its similar to something like dirt as you mentioned haha

Well this is a community and you can always return here to ask advice of how-to. i am sure myself or someone else would be able to find an answer. Alternatively you can always look into blender communities which are also very open to help new users. As i said above, Blender has a cult following and those fanatics will always find the answer for your questions.

Well normally each library has their own quick guides too of how to. Normally it is something like - select object, pick material or - make new material, and then assign textures. To assign new material you have to pick the object, go to material tab on the right, press new, press assign. You can also split mesh to have several materials, which blender in turn will save into what is called a 'slot' in Blender (or channel in some other software).

When you do basic web search, you should be able to find a lot of quick new user friendly guides and you would be able to do basic texture related tasks in no time. Blender 'node system' is seen as 'advanced' amongst 3D users (it is much simpler in let say Marmoset) , but 'nodes' is giving you absolute control over materials and is worth learning.

Response to how do you texture (blender) 2023-12-20 17:53:34

If you want to texture your models properly, you need to learn all about UV editing.

Here are some resources.

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/modeling/meshes/uv/index.html

BBS Signature

Response to how do you texture (blender) 2023-12-21 05:36:51

This is the video I used to make realistic textures.

Response to how do you texture (blender) 2023-12-21 17:23:43

I just use a image or I make one

Response to how do you texture (blender) 2023-12-22 05:29:46

If you want a specific texture when blending food, you can always add liquid or some kinda oil or fat to keep it where you want it

I'm the best for a reason.

BBS Signature

Response to how do you texture (blender) 2023-12-24 09:57:59

This is the most basic method I’ve ever experienced in regards to texturing in Blender:

There’s an extension I found called Fast64 which is designed to perfectly implement Blender files to some Nintendo 64 games. It’s texturing system is so simple to use, I’ve managed to color in a whole custom map in under an hour! However, its limitations are based on the limitations of what the N64 can render, so I can’t much beyond that compared to what can be done outside of the extension.

OviVixen Master Demo (18+)

BBS Signature