00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Notfatherless just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

A bit puzzled at the moment

299 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

A bit puzzled at the moment 2023-12-11 21:50:50

I've been working on this piece for the past day or so and I've come to a bit of a standstill in regards to scenery.

My plan was to keep the environment simplistic, but I'm afraid it looks too flat and barren and I can't seem to decide on what to add to it. More foliage perhaps?

iu_1128574_18478846.webp

I've already attempted to alleviate the problem by pushing the horizon line a bit further back and adding some dynamism to the plants but this still doesn't look right to me and I'm not sure why:

iu_1128575_18478846.webp

In general, I'm just trying to make a simple yet attractive grassy plain but but I don't want to overdo it. Any suggestions?

Art Dump

I like to yap incoherently about my art sometimes

God bless you.

BBS Signature

Response to A bit puzzled at the moment 2023-12-12 02:58:11

I've encountered similar problems myself and what did it for me were the clouds. Maybe try adding them?

Response to A bit puzzled at the moment 2023-12-12 03:50:40

I think one or two hillscapes in the background would work well. They could have some little sprigs of grass and flowers to replicate what's going on in the foreground, but looking at how thin those stems are, they may not translate too well to a smaller, background layer.

At 12/12/23 02:58 AM, Drimager wrote: I've encountered similar problems myself and what did it for me were the clouds. Maybe try adding them?

Yeah, I think a cloud or two would break up the blank space in the sky.

At 12/11/23 09:50 PM, Pammeenevaeh wrote: I've already attempted to alleviate the problem by pushing the horizon line a bit further back and adding some dynamism to the plants but this still doesn't look right to me and I'm not sure why:

In general, I'm just trying to make a simple yet attractive grassy plain but but I don't want to overdo it. Any suggestions?

I think you're on the right track. Bigger plants/grass reaching in from the foreground like on the bottom right could frame the whole scene nicely. Keeping the style of the plants simple like the ones in your first image may help too, otherwise the added detail will lure the eye away from the more simplistic character.

BBS Signature

Response to A bit puzzled at the moment 2023-12-12 13:27:29

if your char is supposed to be the size of a ladybug, wouldn't it make more sense if the plants (specially those with flowers) were bigger?

just asking

Full size of signature's picture

BBS Signature

At 12/12/23 01:27 PM, OnixDark wrote: if your char is supposed to be the size of a ladybug, wouldn't it make more sense if the plants (specially those with flowers) were bigger?
just asking

Yeah, that would make sense-- I'm just scared to put way too much emphasis on the background lol.

What I could do is make the flowers bigger to the point where they can break the up the blankness of the sky but I'll have to plan that out a bit so that they won't distract from the main focus of the pieceiu_1128884_18478846.webp

Perhaps like this?

Art Dump

I like to yap incoherently about my art sometimes

God bless you.

BBS Signature

Response to A bit puzzled at the moment 2023-12-13 08:39:15

At 12/12/23 04:10 PM, Pammeenevaeh wrote:
At 12/12/23 01:27 PM, OnixDark wrote: if your char is supposed to be the size of a ladybug, wouldn't it make more sense if the plants (specially those with flowers) were bigger?
just asking
Yeah, that would make sense-- I'm just scared to put way too much emphasis on the background lol.

What I could do is make the flowers bigger to the point where they can break the up the blankness of the sky but I'll have to plan that out a bit so that they won't distract from the main focus of the piece
Perhaps like this?

and maybe add a few stems or blades of grass behind the character as well?

Full size of signature's picture

BBS Signature

At 12/11/23 09:50 PM, Pammeenevaeh wrote: I've been working on this piece for the past day or so and I've come to a bit of a standstill in regards to scenery.
My plan was to keep the environment simplistic, but I'm afraid it looks too flat and barren and I can't seem to decide on what to add to it. More foliage perhaps?

I've already attempted to alleviate the problem by pushing the horizon line a bit further back and adding some dynamism to the plants but this still doesn't look right to me and I'm not sure why:

I would suggest moving the horizon line upward to around the lowest 1/3 or 2/5 of the image, and adding some simple clouds and trees would help a lot. Also, maybe using a slightly more saturated blue for the sky?

I'm the best for a reason.

BBS Signature