00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Mexicano2002 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What are some examples of 2D and 3D art combined?

236 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

So, I want to get back into art. There was a time where I used to play with Blender, but I was never good at it and I eventually stopped. My return to art now is with drawing, in 2D art. I know that I should focus on one medium for now, but I can't shake off the feeling off also getting back into 3D art. And to be honest, I can't stop overthinking and be indecisive of what I should learn first, or which I should "marry" to, as if I just can't be patient and learn both.

I think want I really want is to do both. Probably not at the same time, but I have a nagging desire to do 2D art drawings, as well as 3D sculpts of characters. Maybe environments too. I thought that since I had this desire to do both, that I could try and combine the two mediums together. What are some examples of this happening?

Response to What are some examples of 2D and 3D art combined? 2023-12-10 21:22:02

Almost any film or game concept art you see is combination of 3D and 2D, Often 3D is used as depth/channel layer for more details and contrast.

Now to think I do not know any film/gaming concept artist that does not use 2d and 3d combos. 3D helps to save time during production and in gaming also the levels/character/assets are 1st designed on mechanical level and designed later. Ie. levels=blocks, characters=animated generic figures etc.

I.e. this fella is a stellar example of combining 3d and 2d in professional level. I heard he changes to Blender now.

https://www.artstation.com/reidsouthen

His works there are not meant to look pretty, those are work-images meant to show idea to film directors. Same way it is in other industries.

I use Blender to build depth and light maps for some of my works. Or here some of the car elements are from blender.

iu_1128074_16926282.webp

But I cannot compare myself with professionals.

Response to What are some examples of 2D and 3D art combined? 2023-12-11 00:08:26

Here's one of mine; Modeled the house and the boardwalk, made a shader that more or less cel shaded it, then used it in a painting.

iu_1128159_8048042.png

iu_1128160_8048042.png

iu_1128158_8048042.webp

Response to What are some examples of 2D and 3D art combined? 2023-12-11 09:25:22

That looks amazing! I've considered maybe having 2D characters in 3D environments. Though, I have to ask, what advantages does having the house be 3D in this illustration, rather than just having the whole image be 2D?

At 12/11/23 12:08 AM, Skoops wrote: Here's one of mine; Modeled the house and the boardwalk, made a shader that more or less cel shaded it, then used it in a painting.

Response to What are some examples of 2D and 3D art combined? 2023-12-11 09:58:29

At 12/11/23 09:25 AM, k-cottonears wrote: That looks amazing! I've considered maybe having 2D characters in 3D environments. Though, I have to ask, what advantages does having the house be 3D in this illustration, rather than just having the whole image be 2D?

The advantages are, among other things:

-I don't have to draft and calculate the placement of hundreds of roof tiles at tilted angles.

-I don't have to calculate shadow placement for the house or the boardwalk since Blender did it for me.

-I now have a 3D model of a little japanese house that I can reuse whenever I want.

Response to What are some examples of 2D and 3D art combined? 2023-12-11 11:00:26

At 12/11/23 09:25 AM, k-cottonears wrote: That looks amazing! I've considered maybe having 2D characters in 3D environments. Though, I have to ask, what advantages does having the house be 3D in this illustration, rather than just having the whole image be 2D?

At 12/11/23 12:08 AM, Skoops wrote: Here's one of mine; Modeled the house and the boardwalk, made a shader that more or less cel shaded it, then used it in a painting.

This artist does that exactly - 3D environments and 2D characters, also weapons, and additional assets are done in 3d - she has told how doing perspective and details is very hard for her in 2d, however she is good at modelling 3D, so she combines strengths of hers from both worlds and makes incredible art.

https://sunsetagain.tumblr.com/

Duplication and patterns is always something I overlook. I still remember trying to wrap my end around procedural textures.

What about the 2D? What advantages do the 2D aspects provide?

At 12/11/23 09:58 AM, Skoops wrote:
The advantages are, among other things:
-I don't have to draft and calculate the placement of hundreds of roof tiles at tilted angles.
-I don't have to calculate shadow placement for the house or the boardwalk since Blender did it for me.
-I now have a 3D model of a little japanese house that I can reuse whenever I want.

At 12/11/23 07:25 PM, k-cottonears wrote: Duplication and patterns is always something I overlook. I still remember trying to wrap my end around procedural textures.

What about the 2D? What advantages do the 2D aspects provide?

There are plenty of things that are easy to draw that are difficult or too time consuming to model when your end goal is just a 2D image. "Hard Surface" is generally easier in 3D, "Soft Surface is generally easier in 2D, at least for me and anyone else that isn't a master sculptor.

Should I take a week to model, texture, rig, pose and light a small little guy in 3D, or should I take 5 minutes to draw him? How about trees, vines, grass, all the little details in the distance? Those are all a handful of brush strokes, and I don't need laser sharp precision for any of it. Even if I did model it, I'd either have to texture it or paint over it when I finish, so there's no effort being saved either in the short term or long term. If I was making a game or animation, my considerations would be different, but I wasn't, so they're not.