00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

frankoftheweek just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How to draw open mouths or mouths with teeth

269 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

i need help drawing mouths that arent completely closed. however, most of my results are laughable or too cartoony

1:37 ───ㅇ─────3:45 ᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ : ▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯

↺ REPEAT ‖ PAUSE ≫ NEXT SONG

Former fan of the general forums. Artist, Twitter hater, loser, bad poet.

BBS Signature

Response to How to draw open mouths or mouths with teeth 2023-12-09 18:56:32

Get references. Draw what you see.

Response to How to draw open mouths or mouths with teeth 2023-12-10 12:52:30

If you are drawing in a cartoon or anime style, you don't necessarily have to draw any teeth at all. Show the teeth if they are important to the character's expression, such as a wide open mouth, grin, or grimace. Otherwise, for an only slightly open mouth, you can simply fill the inner mouth with a dark red color.

BBS Signature

Response to How to draw open mouths or mouths with teeth 2023-12-11 01:37:50

For my art I usually draw teeth as a solid block with little to no hint of the lines between the individual teeth. Though drawing each tooth can be effective for showing a certain emotion such as anger. But it really depends on what you're going for.

Looking at your gallery, it seems more that you've got a problem with depth. Most of those faces are flat and look at the audience.

Maybe try drawing shaded circles?

You're decent with proportions, so maybe just try redrawing abstractly a reference with 3d shapes

Response to How to draw open mouths or mouths with teeth 2023-12-11 14:56:24

Get a mirror.

I like Pizza!

BBS Signature

Response to How to draw open mouths or mouths with teeth 2023-12-11 16:50:45

Study the human jaw and mouth. A mouth can show emotions. I would recommend just looking at images of people's faces in different emotions in different prospective. and keep in mind that different animals show emotions differently, like crabs and rabbits, which do not show emotions through the face.

Response to How to draw open mouths or mouths with teeth 2023-12-11 17:10:06

At 12/9/23 06:45 PM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote: i need help drawing mouths that arent completely closed. however, most of my results are laughable or too cartoony

Draw mouths as cartoonish and outlandish as you can. Twisted, chaotic colors, wild teeth, multi-hinged jaws. The works. Have an idea to make it crazier? Go for it.

Then take a step back and ask yourself how you can fix the mouths towards the baseline that you want. Work on each individual bit, and do this exercise a lot. In time, you'll find that target you want, and draw it perfectly. Good luck!

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to How to draw open mouths or mouths with teeth 2023-12-11 17:19:00

They're a bit on the cartoony side, but you're welcome to take a look at these open mouths with teeth I drew, and see if it helps?

iu_1128462_8446305.webp

iu_1128463_8446305.webp

Shadow banned & only 98 followers. If you liked any of my art, I really could use some support. Please...

(I'm also LiquidFrogStudios on DeviantArt btw.)

BBS Signature

Response to How to draw open mouths or mouths with teeth 2023-12-11 18:00:33

it depends on what I'm drawing

GRR <-- that's my signature

Pretty ironic how I draw cowboys even though I'm First nations ;)

BBS Signature

Response to How to draw open mouths or mouths with teeth 2023-12-11 23:55:58

iu_1128616_9066979.png

This is sort of a low effort method that I genrally use, where I just draw two worm shapes inside the mouth and then I paint bucket the rest of it to hide some of the jank. It's not very professional but it's quick and easy.