00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GreyStar06 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

is airbrush shading or solid shading better?

232 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

ive been stuck between two types of shading, using an airbrush to shade on ibispaint or using the same brush on ibispaint to shade, but darker color and lower opacity. which is better?

1:37 ───ㅇ─────3:45 ᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ : ▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯

↺ REPEAT ‖ PAUSE ≫ NEXT SONG

Former fan of the general forums. Artist, Twitter hater, loser, bad poet.

BBS Signature

Response to is airbrush shading or solid shading better? 2023-12-07 09:59:54

At 12/7/23 09:51 AM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote: ive been stuck between two types of shading, using an airbrush to shade on ibispaint or using the same brush on ibispaint to shade, but darker color and lower opacity. which is better?

I think grey scale flats+ black/white hard brush in various opacity in any software gives better results. But it really depends what you are aiming for.

Then adding colour via gradients and fills later.

At 12/7/23 09:51 AM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote: ive been stuck between two types of shading, using an airbrush to shade on ibispaint or using the same brush on ibispaint to shade, but darker color and lower opacity. which is better?

what are you trying to achieve? any examples of the two?

if by same brush you mean airbrush then i think i understand what you mean. the difference would be if you were to recolor by locking alpha and filling a new color, the one with darker color and lower opacity will be harder to predict the outcome.

generally when you shade with opacity, you want the color at 100% opacity to be the color that represent the darkest value you want in the shadow. it will be easier for you to manage the values that way.

Response to is airbrush shading or solid shading better? 2023-12-07 10:26:18

At 12/7/23 10:02 AM, lucifertan wrote:

if by same brush you mean airbrush then i think i understand what you mean. the difference would be if you were to recolor by locking alpha and filling a new color, the one with darker color and lower opacity will be harder to predict the outcome.

generally when you shade with opacity, you want the color at 100% opacity to be the color that represent the darkest value you want in the shadow. it will be easier for you to manage the values that way.

better shading. and i may need to mix shading for different art

1:37 ───ㅇ─────3:45 ᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ : ▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯

↺ REPEAT ‖ PAUSE ≫ NEXT SONG

Former fan of the general forums. Artist, Twitter hater, loser, bad poet.

BBS Signature

Response to is airbrush shading or solid shading better? 2023-12-07 10:51:26

I see a hell of a lot more people attempting to airbrush and failing, not that I think hard brush is better, but I think airbrush takes more skill to make look good.

tries too hard to be edgy and is blocked by many because he acts rude towards others to feel better about himself.

BBS Signature

At 12/7/23 10:26 AM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote:
At 12/7/23 10:02 AM, lucifertan wrote:

better shading. and i may need to mix shading for different art

is my assumption of your same brush meaning airbrush is wrong? by same brush do you mean the same brush you use for the flat colors instead ? so in this case you are comparing hard edge to soft edge for shading?

to achieve a better shading you need to understand form and light. depending on the style, you may use entirely hard edge akin to cell shading or mix in soft edges for more realistic lighting. the easiest way to experiment is to paint a sphere.

iu_1126283_18419080.jpg

Airbrush is, what one would call a 'n00b trap' - do not use it anywhere nowhere and never. It is better to learn to use opacity and mixing techniques for more natural light gain and drop off.

If you want to focus on improving shading, the 1st task is to not look what brush blends best, but how light behaves regarding material.

Response to is airbrush shading or solid shading better? 2023-12-07 14:53:45

Depends on the piece

For practice and getting good at light theory, a hard edge brush is better. Your primary goal is to find the terminators in all of your forms, and carry accurate drop and cast shadows. A hard edge makes it easy to tell if you got it right or wrong.

When you know what you're doing, soft brushes are great for making forms feel more rounded, creating the subtle gradual falloff of light between the highlight and terminator, core shadows, bounce light, etc. It's a more difficult tool, but the difference between knowing and not knowing how to use it is a big deal; it's super powerful.

Ideally you'd use these in tandem so that your sharp edges are sharp and your soft edges are soft , and your audience can tell the difference. If I had to only choose one though, it'd have to be hard edge for the versitility. Cel shading is when hard edges appear even in rounded forms and there's no soft edge to shadows, but a technique that tries to do soft brushing for hard edges doesn't have a name because it probably looks like shit.

Response to is airbrush shading or solid shading better? 2023-12-07 17:23:24

its not like you have to pick one or the other, you can use both techniques in the same piece or alternate between two styles