00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ragdollchewy just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Good NG background art.

112 Views | 1 Reply
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Good NG background art. 2023-12-07 01:16:04

Backgrounds, we got em everywhere. But they're not exactly the number 1 priority for many people on this site. They're often just an after-thought of a project, or an annoying chore that has to be done for some people.

I often enjoyed building up some sceneries, using resources from other games, cutting, copy/pasting bits together, or building something in a level-editor from some game.

But whenever I try designing some areas from scratch, it becomes a massive headache for me. Either I take forever until I got something that looks like the sort of enviroment I'm try to convey, or I struggle to keep the style consistent. I also wanna know just how much detail is worth putting into a background. So that in the future, I won't be slaving away, drawing in all the bricks on some little wall, or drawing up every individual strain of grass in a field, or sum shit like that, going by completely unseen and unnapreciated.

So I'd like to get some opinions from y'all here:

Whatever the format may be, an animated cartoon, a comic, game or individual art-piece, can speak in general terms or pick a format of your choice.

-What are in your opion, some of the best backgrounds on this site?

-How minimalistic do you think a background should be, to serve its purpose of letting the viewers know where things are taking place?

-And can you reccomend some good artists on Newgrounds, to take some inspiration from, who have some good variation in different locations, varying from indoor/outdoor areas, urban/nature?

I would also very much appreciate y'all sending screenshots, or posting links of any portal submissions (except audio portal obviously, lol) in wich you think are some exceptionaly good backgrounds. Maybe turn this thread into some kind of mood-board for different background ideas, or comparing minimalistic versus highly detailed. Or just getting into a discussion on what makes a good background for different types of media, and how much work/detail should to go into one, to most efficiently get the feeling accros, of a scene taking place in a speciffic location.

TLDR: please gimme some examples of good background stuff here on Newgrounds! And tell me why you think its good, or simply think it works well.

Response to Good NG background art. 2023-12-07 05:52:19

Here's one I like:

I think it's good because, as I said in my review, it's got attention to detail (little things for your eyes to pick up), like the sunlight throwing a grate pattern on the ground. Not to mention the graffiti.

I said there was something about the piece that I love - I think it's the way it reminds me of Flash games and animations.