00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

domvip just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

For all my Pixel Art fellas. What differences between pixel art and more traditional looking brushes

110 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Just the post really. I wanna get into doing Pixel Art since alot of projects enjoy using 2d Pixel Art so I wanna know if there's anything I would need to prepare for learning to do it :O

I’m still an bit new to pixel art but something I always kept in mind when I was brand new to it was that “Less is more” don’t try to do really big detail stuff right out the get go. You gotta ease yourself into it, besides some pixel styles work better with minimal details (Then again that just depends on what style you want to go for)

Also knowing the basic fundamentals of art is really gonna help you! Knowing how the fundamentals work will definitely give you another level to your pixel art, and it will help you create even more dynamic pieces.

That’s all I really have for now, now get going on those pixels!!

not sure if i understood your question (what do you mean "more traditional-looking brushes?")

but if you want to do pixel art, i advise reading through pixeljoint's guide.

i have a feeling part 1 answers your question. it's hard to quote it because it's image heavy, but:

Why not all digital art is pixel art

Pixel art is set apart from other digital art forms by its focus on control and precision.
The artist has to be in control of the image at the level of the single pixel, and every pixel should be purposefully placed.
When pixel art is done purposefully, offsetting just a few pixels can have a dramatic effect on the image

[...]

Other digital art forms use many tools you won't find in pixel art. The reason pixel artists don't use these tools is because they place pixels in a manner that the artist can't predict. These automatic tools blur, smudge, smear or blend the pixels. Any tool that places pixels automatically (which means the computer makes decisions about the placement of pixels rather than the artist), is generally frowned upon in pixel art. Remember, pixel art is all about control.

Full size of signature's picture

BBS Signature

At 12/7/23 08:18 AM, OnixDark wrote: not sure if i understood your question (what do you mean "more traditional-looking brushes?")
but if you want to do pixel art, i advise reading through pixeljoint's guide.
i have a feeling part 1 answers your question. it's hard to quote it because it's image heavy, but:
[...]

Traditional IE. Basic pens, brushes, markers etc that are trying to replicate their realword counterparts. Since usually Pixel Artwork has its own brushsets separate from those. At least Krita does not sure if CSP does.