00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kiwi023 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Give my friend some art feedback!

388 Views | 17 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Give my friend some art feedback! 2023-12-03 10:15:34

Hi! I've got a friend in Yemen who wants to improve his art to potentially make it into a career, with intended specialties being comics and game design. Newgrounds isn't available for him because of the country he lives in (+ he doesn't have the permissions to install a VPN on his family's computer), so I asked him if he'd let me post a thread here asking for feedback on his work.

Here's his Twitter with the art. You can send feedback in this thread and I'll forward it to him, or you can just send it on Twitter directly.

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say!

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to Give my friend some art feedback! 2023-12-03 13:12:19

I saw some of his art. He's pretty good at it, even tho his general art style is very simplistic (unless he wants to work that way which is not bad anyway).

I saw also some smaller works with detailed hints like good use of gradients, shadow and illumination and realistic animal anatomy, which to me, shows he's actually very aware of what he draws and is totally up to doing a good work, either simple or complex. He seems to have a very good depth perspective, as I feel volume in these characters, and his art looks quite clean.

My only downsides might be the lack of BG in his works (which is totally understandable if he doesn't want to do none), and some tweeks of anamoty in very subtle places. He also should vary his work a bit from characters and furries, to show what else he's capable of, or just to begin biggering his knowledge. People who seem for artists to work with like guys that are open to many things.

That might be all. Send him the best of my wishes

Being 100% alive means taking a 50% of actions and having a 50% of perspective

BBS Signature

Response to Give my friend some art feedback! 2023-12-04 10:57:46

At 12/3/23 01:12 PM, EmsDeLaRoZ wrote: I saw some of his art. He's pretty good at it, even tho his general art style is very simplistic (unless he wants to work that way which is not bad anyway).

I saw also some smaller works with detailed hints like good use of gradients, shadow and illumination and realistic animal anatomy, which to me, shows he's actually very aware of what he draws and is totally up to doing a good work, either simple or complex. He seems to have a very good depth perspective, as I feel volume in these characters, and his art looks quite clean.

My only downsides might be the lack of BG in his works (which is totally understandable if he doesn't want to do none), and some tweeks of anamoty in very subtle places. He also should vary his work a bit from characters and furries, to show what else he's capable of, or just to begin biggering his knowledge. People who seem for artists to work with like guys that are open to many things.

That might be all. Send him the best of my wishes

Cool, that's been forwarded!

BBS Signature

Response to Give my friend some art feedback! 2023-12-06 07:30:30

Update on the side:

Ko-fi now blocks the country of Yemen. Is there an alternative?

BBS Signature

Response to Give my friend some art feedback! 2023-12-06 09:06:42

I'd love to take a look. But Twitter is a piece of shizzle website that don't let me browse through posts without making an account.

Response to Give my friend some art feedback! 2023-12-06 09:24:28

At 12/6/23 09:06 AM, Guidodinho wrote: I'd love to take a look. But Twitter is a piece of shizzle website that don't let me browse through posts without making an account.

Understood. The ko-fi page still has art on it even though he can’t access the site anymore, so maybe that’s another place to look.

BBS Signature

Response to Give my friend some art feedback! 2023-12-06 15:23:13

I feel like I see a pretty solid foundation. Just keep refining. I'm not experienced with drawing anthropomorphic characters but I assume studying animals helps with nailing down anatomy. Also studying shading will help improve the sense of volume.

Response to Give my friend some art feedback! 2023-12-06 18:05:04

It's rare that I see styles this simple that are this solidly constructed. Perspective is consistently on point, seems like there's a firm grasp in of fundamentals there, and I don't say that often.

With a foundation as good as it is, the question is more about what's next, where do they go from here, etc. I'd recommend trying more simple cel shading (with a light source, of course) and more dynamic poses. They seem to like character design most, so put those characters in positions and environments that tell a bit of a story or inform us about those characters' lives. Doesn't have to be complicated; even showing them doing some mundane everyday activity can open up a whole new dimension to your work.

Response to Give my friend some art feedback! 2023-12-06 20:07:29

At 12/6/23 07:30 AM, Thetageist wrote: Update on the side:

can't even use a VPN?

Full size of signature's picture

BBS Signature

Response to Give my friend some art feedback! 2023-12-06 20:26:21

The guy’s work has more simplicity than mine, which I admire. Also, tell him that he needs to have more confidence in his stuff. His work is really cool, for lack of a better term.

The staircase that's growth is infinite, but we should climb anyway to see how far we can go. But remember: growth starts with humility.

Response to Give my friend some art feedback! 2023-12-06 20:44:43

At 12/6/23 08:07 PM, OnixDark wrote:

can't even use a VPN?

Trying to convince him to use one. We'll see.

BBS Signature

Response to Give my friend some art feedback! 2023-12-06 20:47:06

At 12/6/23 08:44 PM, Thetageist wrote:
At 12/6/23 08:07 PM, OnixDark wrote:

can't even use a VPN?
Trying to convince him to use one. We'll see.

good luck!

Full size of signature's picture

BBS Signature

Response to Give my friend some art feedback! 2023-12-06 22:04:31

iu_1126112_6994006.png

:D

Keep the feedback coming if you've got anything!

BBS Signature

Response to Give my friend some art feedback! 2023-12-07 00:27:56

From what I've seen on the Ko-fi page I'd say he's got a pretty good grasp on conveying expression and personality, also a grasp on his lines and also on the use of light and shadow considering some older drawings.

I feel like he could perhaps gain something from experimenting a bit more with textures and also trying to add a bit more variety to his colors.

Since he seems to like drawing characters I'd also recommend always refining the expressions and pushing for perfection there, either that or the details of anatomy and morphology, but he seems to care a lot for emotions usually, as I saw.

And as for making a living out of it, besides trying to sell illustrations I believe making comics, much like he made some, could tie to his preferences on characters, if he manages to measure well the ammount of details; perhaps even animation but that's a different ballpark.

Hope he continues doing what fulfills him and finds his path in it!

It takes a real man to cry

It takes a real woman to strive

His art looks pretty good. It reminds me of my own art from a few years back. I know if he keeps working at it, he will keep improving.

The areas where I see could be improved are mainly the face, particularly the muzzle area. The chin seems pointy and the perspective is often incorrect. I know drawing the muzzle of furries can be difficult. All you can really do is keep practicing, studying the shape of animal faces and looking at skilled furry artists to see how they draw it in perspective of an anthropomorphized face. If he still wants to have the small chin look I recommend to look at Japanese kemono style art for examples of how to drawn it.

The general anatomy and proportions could be improved. For that I strongly recommend looking at photo references for poses. The most noticeable thing I see is that the hands are really small and arms very short and thin. It may be a stylistic choice. But I think when you draw a furry with a big head, they usually should have fairly large hands and somewhat thick limbs to have proportions that look balanced. Of course it is not a universal rule, but when you are drawing a stylized character you generally should pay close attention to the visual balance of their features.

BBS Signature

Response to Give my friend some art feedback! 2023-12-07 10:21:10

Update 2:

If you have Discord, Black Eagle is hoping he could continue to get art advice from any of you, as sort of a mentor or art learning buddy.

Send friend requests to blackeagle1204 on Discord!

BBS Signature

Response to Give my friend some art feedback! 2023-12-07 12:09:35

At 12/3/23 10:15 AM, Thetageist wrote: Hi! I've got a friend in Yemen who wants to improve his art to potentially make it into a career, with intended specialties being comics and game design. Newgrounds isn't available for him because of the country he lives in (+ he doesn't have the permissions to install a VPN on his family's computer), so I asked him if he'd let me post a thread here asking for feedback on his work.

Here's his Twitter with the art. You can send feedback in this thread and I'll forward it to him, or you can just send it on Twitter directly.

Yeah, this guys art is pretty solid! He has a good perspective for line dynamics, and his characters are pretty solid too. I honestly can’t think of much that needs to be improved, aside from the shape of the long faced creatures like foxes and dogs and other stuff like that.

To him I say, keep up the good work!

T H E 1 9 9 0 ' S

BBS Signature

Response to Give my friend some art feedback! 2023-12-08 12:04:28

At 12/3/23 10:15 AM, Thetageist wrote: Hi! I've got a friend in Yemen who wants to improve his art to potentially make it into a career, with intended specialties being comics and game design. Newgrounds isn't available for him because of the country he lives in (+ he doesn't have the permissions to install a VPN on his family's computer), so I asked him if he'd let me post a thread here asking for feedback on his work.

Is some weird but is good i guess