00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

officialkingcrab0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Bulbasaur (critiques plz)

106 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Bulbasaur (critiques plz) 2023-11-29 13:50:14

I’m curious, do you sketch your art before the lineart? Because sketching is gonna be a lot of the basis of my critique.

BBS Signature

Response to Bulbasaur (critiques plz) 2023-11-29 13:51:49

At 11/29/23 01:50 PM, TechnoCookie wrote: I’m curious, do you sketch your art before the lineart? Because sketching is gonna be a lot of the basis of my critique.

Yes i do.

Response to Bulbasaur (critiques plz) 2023-11-29 15:22:13

At 11/29/23 01:51 PM, ItsRohan wrote:
At 11/29/23 01:50 PM, TechnoCookie wrote: I’m curious, do you sketch your art before the lineart? Because sketching is gonna be a lot of the basis of my critique.
Yes i do.

As for the things I like, the colors are very nice, I like that there's a clear direction the pencil was moving for the whole process, that's something a lot of beginner traditional artists don't learn at first.

I like that you pushed harder on the colored pencils for the shadows, very reminiscent of early Pokemon artwork.

I'll be using the same reference image you used to make the piece to show what can be improved.

The biggest problem is the proportions. The eyes and front legs are noticeably asymmetrical. I don't know the exact name for it, but during the sketching process you can draw this sort of "plus" on the face to get an idea of where the eyes, nose and mouth should be.

iu_1122537_8267752.png

You don't need to follow this plus shape exactly, you can add additional lines for stuff like the eyes so you're 100% sure they aren't bigger or smaller than they should be.

iu_1122538_8267752.png

Additionally, you can use basic shapes to figure out how everything should look before you do a proper sketch.

iu_1122536_8267752.webp

Lastly there's the perspective, I recommend drawing a little grid on the ground to figure out how far certain things should be in the piece.

iu_1122539_8267752.webp

Though admittedly the perspective in the reference image doesn't really make sense either.

iu_1122540_8267752.png

If someone is presented at an angle, generally stuff like foot placement isn't going to completely even. Like in the example below, the leg facing away from the viewer has the foot and knee higher up than the other because the further away something is, the smaller is appears to us.

iu_1122541_8267752.png

Hope all this helps

BBS Signature

Response to Bulbasaur (critiques plz) 2023-11-29 15:36:13

At 11/29/23 03:22 PM, TechnoCookie wrote:
At 11/29/23 01:51 PM, ItsRohan wrote:
Yes i do.
As for the things I like, the colors are very nice, I like that there's a clear direction the pencil was moving for the whole process, that's something a lot of beginner traditional artists don't learn at first.

I like that you pushed harder on the colored pencils for the shadows, very reminiscent of early Pokemon artwork.

I'll be using the same reference image you used to make the piece to show what can be improved.

The biggest problem is the proportions. The eyes and front legs are noticeably asymmetrical. I don't know the exact name for it, but during the sketching process you can draw this sort of "plus" on the face to get an idea of where the eyes, nose and mouth should be.

You don't need to follow this plus shape exactly, you can add additional lines for stuff like the eyes so you're 100% sure they aren't bigger or smaller than they should be.

Additionally, you can use basic shapes to figure out how everything should look before you do a proper sketch.

Lastly there's the perspective, I recommend drawing a little grid on the ground to figure out how far certain things should be in the piece.

Though admittedly the perspective in the reference image doesn't really make sense either.

If someone is presented at an angle, generally stuff like foot placement isn't going to completely even. Like in the example below, the leg facing away from the viewer has the foot and knee higher up than the other because the further away something is, the smaller is appears to us.

Hope all this helps

Yes, thanks so much :)