00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

s4kuna just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is there something you wish you could draw more of...

813 Views | 39 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

...but just can't?

Either because you can't find the time to focus on it inbetween all your other WIPs

Or, not being able to find the right motivation to focus on it

Throughout the year I wanted to do more Danny Phantom fanart and focus more on my artist persona character

However I was busy with my comic, a fanfic that keeps hitting road blocks, a script for a visual novel I wanna programm next year, a few animations, other stuff that I reeeeally wanted to draw causing me to forget the two and my uncontrollable tummy aches

Join the Death Note Collab!!!...If you wanna...○ × ○

I guess human characters.

fanart fanart fanart!

between my oc projects with my friends, commissions, and school/the job hunt i just dont have the time to dedicate to fanart

im absolutely determined to get some art out of a pokemon character from the latest game i really liked before his design changes are revealed when the next dlc for it drops on dec 10!

ive also been meaning to make a piece for the house in fata morgana because there was a character whose struggles resonated with me in a way i never thought id see captured in fiction and theres so little discussion about the game that i feel it deserves some extra love

At 11/28/23 02:45 PM, smashbrethren wrote: fanart fanart fanart!

I guess there's that as well.

Don't make excuses! If you want to draw something, do it. The only thing limiting you is yourself.

In all honesty I don't really have anything specific to name other than the fact just wish I could make more finished pieces. And no, it's not like I lack the time to do so or anything, or that I get artblock often. In fact, I feel like I have the complete opposite of artblock: I just have this strange compulsion to start a new sketch of something despite the fact that I have 5 billion other WIPS sitting in my files. Not to mention how easily distracted I can be by checking my socials while drawing, scrolling the art portal and whatnot. Of course, the easy fix to that is to just throw out such distractions, but then I just get bored and stop drawing. I have this "zoomer" type attention span that I have to put up with basically lol.

But even then so, whining about my shortcomings isn't really going to help anyone. I need to get stuff done.

Art Dump

I like to yap incoherently about my art sometimes

God bless you.

BBS Signature

I used to think it'd be a pain in the neck for me to try drawing realistic hair. That until I realized I spent more time claiming how bad it would be than actually drawing something.

And one day I decided to try and do realistic hair, and went well (not too realistic, but very detailed at least)

I should try doing realistic hair again one day

Being 100% alive means taking a 50% of actions and having a 50% of perspective

BBS Signature

I guess more fanart. Making a game is my top priority because I want that to be good and to be done one day but it would be nice to make fanart for different games such as PVZ shooters, Pizza Tower and Antonball/blast to name a few

Look at him spin

BBS Signature

Lizards

Take it with a grain of salt, I am slower than a snail.

BBS Signature

Drawing better backgrounds, & drawing good character designs.

I wanted to become a Vaporeon but I'm always dehydrated.

I post art there : Carrd

BBS Signature

If I was living two lifetimes simultaneously or drew so much that I hated every moment of it, I'd probably do a ton of fanart so I could boost my numbers. I just like making my own stuff more, but I know it's a huge detriment to my visibility. I'd do something more like a 50/50 split if the stuff I wanted to do didn't take up all my free time as it is.

In my case, I guess I'd just like to have more time to draw period. I'm essentially limited to what remains once you remove the hours spent working, sleeping, doing chores and just decompressing, which is not a lot. I get a lot of ideas, particularly for comics, that tend to fall by the wayside because I can never manage to pick them up and start developing them seriously. Still, as long as drawing and making stuff continues to be a part of my life, however small, I'm fine with it. After all, a few hours of drawing per week still beats zero hours of drawing per week.

Thinking back, off in the distance, the future shone everywhere we looked

Underneath the beautiful blue sky

We were just a little bit afraid

BBS Signature

comic panels, i used to do it alot before and i stopped ever since. Its hard to find that right moment of inspiration and resources to pursue it. They either felt like short bursts of a potential idea to lose the vision of it later or i got too many ideas that it'll overwhelm me that i have to take a step back and forget about it.

BBS Signature

I wish I could draw each and every one of my enemy's mothers doin all sorts of fucked up things. Fortunately for them, I don't know what their mothers look like.. ..Yet

B)

At 11/28/23 04:14 PM, SeijiArt wrote: Don't make excuses! If you want to draw something, do it. The only thing limiting you is yourself.

In OP's case sounds less like lack of will and more like lack of time. It's a pretty valid reason. We only have so much time, so we need to prioritize what we want to do the most (or need to do the most), sometimes at the expense of other things we want to do but are lower priority.

I would like to do some human characters, or more specifically, studies of real human faces. I don't have much practice with humans and most of the projects I set up for myself don't require human illustrations, but it is still something I get the urge to do every so often. But my time is crammed too. If I neglect the projects I've actually started they'll never get finished because they demand so much time.

It's also a bit of a hurdle that I get very uncomfortable looking at human faces, and doing a study of a face requires some intense looking at.

FNF Fanart but people will just call me a GF simp.

(wow that is the weirdest thing I typed this year)

Not working on Nightmare Cops.

Also last post.

BBS Signature

Too much tbh... my issue is i don't think i have time to learn how to draw cars, or make comics, or in the case of writing, make all the fanfics i wanted. i hate the way time moves so fast.

"Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there~." - Owl City

BBS Signature

At 12/1/23 05:59 AM, CatNine wrote:
At 11/28/23 04:14 PM, SeijiArt wrote: Don't make excuses! If you want to draw something, do it. The only thing limiting you is yourself.
In OP's case sounds less like lack of will and more like lack of time. It's a pretty valid reason. We only have so much time, so we need to prioritize what we want to do the most (or need to do the most), sometimes at the expense of other things we want to do but are lower priority.

I would like to do some human characters, or more specifically, studies of real human faces. I don't have much practice with humans and most of the projects I set up for myself don't require human illustrations, but it is still something I get the urge to do every so often. But my time is crammed too. If I neglect the projects I've actually started they'll never get finished because they demand so much time.

It's also a bit of a hurdle that I get very uncomfortable looking at human faces, and doing a study of a face requires some intense looking at.

A fair point. I should have been more thorough in my read.

Comics would probably be most accurate. I wish I could just sit down and draw a comic, but I gotta finish a script and whatever preparatory steps I need to take before drawing. I still enjoy those preparatory steps though, it's really satisfying to build up a story bit by bit.

I am the original GetterRocka

At 11/28/23 01:47 PM, VanVeleca wrote: ...but just can't?

Either because you can't find the time to focus on it inbetween all your other WIPs

Throughout the year I wanted to do more Danny Phantom fanart and focus more on my artist persona character

However I was busy with my comic, a fanfic that keeps hitting road blocks, a script for a visual novel I wanna programm next year, a few animations, other stuff that I reeeeally wanted to draw causing me to forget the two and my uncontrollable tummy aches

I always wanted to draw more of my original characters but can never seemingly get the motivation needed to get started. As much as I love drawing Pokemon art or stuff for many different franchises, it gets to me sometimes when I realize I'm not working on my own things as well.

mostly fanart of yakuza, characters are soo detailed and stuff yknow

BBS Signature

At 11/28/23 01:47 PM, VanVeleca wrote: ...but just can't?

Personally I just want the time and motivation to work on art of Roleplay OC's of mine. I'm in a Discord OC roleplay server, and I have a bunch of really good ideas for OC's to roleplay with, but I'm usually almost always focusing on either real life stuff, other types of artworks, or videos I wanna create.

T H E 1 9 9 0 ' S

BBS Signature

iu_1124349_9481129.gif

I wish I could animate more, and do better with backgrounds n shit.

Planning out animations is the big hurdle for me. I'm not good with planning in life in general so its such a pain in the ass that i cant just dive right into it and start. You gotta brainstorm, then sort your ideas out to make sure they flow right, then write a script, then storyboard it, then paint the backgrounds, then get your audio all recorded n sorted out, then the actual animation itself.... it's such a long, boring, and tedious process. I've got halfway into animating a bunch of things in the past, then I realized I didnt fully flesh out the project in the planning phase, so it just kinda dies. Or I just plain realized I wrote a shitty script because I was trying too hard to make something that would be popular instead of just doing my own thing.

Backgrounds are another pain in the ass. I don't know why, but they're such an afterthought that i either have a fully finished, shaded character in a white void, or a basic gradient or field of geometric shapes. I'm also not really good with em skillwise either. I could totally use to study some landscapes and cities sometime now that I think about it..

On the bright side, though, I'm working on a Zelda II animation that I think is actually looking to be pretty decent! I've finally figured out all the steps to planning it out, I'm liking the ideas I'm coming up with this time around. I guess I just needed to step back from animation for a while and take the planning process more seriously. Also this is a good opportunity to get better with backgrounds too.

Ok, welll thats enough, it's 7am and i gotta go to bed because my sleep is FUUUUCKED

I'm the best for a reason.

BBS Signature

Women. I just find it weirdly difficult compared to male anatomy, personally--I need copious amounts of reference just to draw a single female character that doesn't look like I just drew a simplified male body and slapped breasts onto it (shouldn't have worded it like that...).

At 12/3/23 12:47 PM, jthrash wrote: Women. I just find it weirdly difficult compared to male anatomy, personally--I need copious amounts of reference just to draw a single female character that doesn't look like I just drew a simplified male body and slapped breasts onto it (shouldn't have worded it like that...).

Dang I got the exact opposite problem, I find it difficult to draw masculine bodies

Whenever I draw a male character they often end up looking either androgynous, goofy or more feminine than intended

Join the Death Note Collab!!!...If you wanna...○ × ○

At 12/3/23 12:50 PM, VanVeleca wrote:
At 12/3/23 12:47 PM, jthrash wrote: Women. I just find it weirdly difficult compared to male anatomy, personally--I need copious amounts of reference just to draw a single female character that doesn't look like I just drew a simplified male body and slapped breasts onto it (shouldn't have worded it like that...).
Dang I got the exact opposite problem, I find it difficult to draw masculine bodies
Whenever I draw a male character they often end up looking either androgynous, goofy or more feminine than intended

I have noticed that it really depends on the artist whether they're better at drawing women or men. In my case, it's probably just less effort to find male reference--I kind of just look at myself in the mirror for my male anatomy reference, don't even have to take the extra 3 seconds to look up "male anatomy" or "male faces" on Google Images.

Plus, having grown up going to Christian and Catholic schools, I still have this obnoxious angel in my shoulder making me irrationally afraid of searching for images of nude women or even women with skimpier clothing, even just for anatomical references, which obviously hinders my progress on getting better at drawing characters with feminine bodies until I can overcome that fear.

Once you get good at drawing women, youll never want to go back lol. they are SO much fun to draw cuz of all the curves n shit. Also i just like drawing tits haha

I kinda have the opposite issue sometimes where I feel like I dont draw men enough or WELL enough cuz I draw so many women

I'm the best for a reason.

BBS Signature

women

At 12/3/23 05:32 AM, Spaggo wrote:

Yea i was pretty much just gonna say this LMAO

art always takes me way longer than it feels like it should 😫 im getting faster and faster but.... god i wish it would just transfer from my brain to the paper immediately ajrhejbf

SFW/NSFW ART COMMS OPEN