00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FewThe just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wav Bit depth and Resampling Quality and the other stuff on exports?

216 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

What are the reccommended settings for exporting tracks in wav on fl without absolutely tanking the filesize? I was wondering because the 2 culprits to this is the wav depth. There are 3 settings which is 16 bit int 24 bit int and 32 bit float and I usually do float, should I use a lower setting or keep it like that? For the resampling quality however, theres many different settings to put it on and I was curious what the recommended one is.

There are a few other settings out there such as Dithering Disable Maximum Polyphony that are there.

To sum it up in a few words: What should I select and deselect in the fls export window and what is the suggested resampling quality and bit depth for wave files?

Musician with a computer older than Julius Caesar and humor drier than desert sand on a sunny day.

BBS Signature

I'm always ask to supply in 24bit 48khz, stereo for clients (published, clients, trailer, etc) Although, once I exported all my stems at 44khz but could be bothered exporting every track again (over 90 tracks) and batched them up to 48khz and they were none of the wiser.

Tbh, it depends where its going. 320 mp3 is more than enough for NGs, etc.

BBS Signature

At 11/28/23 09:39 PM, acheney wrote: hi!

i usually export to 16-bit .wav, though lately i've been using .flac instead for its smaller file size

for casual listening, there is no need for anything higher than 16-bit. 16-bit already has a noise floor just below the minimum threshold of human hearing, and the file size only increases as the bit depth increases without any real benefit to the sound. 32bit might be useful if you're using it in your daw, but outside of it, 16-bit is the way to go

if you're going for a lossy format, i firstly recommend .ogg at a quality of around 7-10, and secondly 320kbps .mp3. both of these are nearly indistinguishable from lossless, and .ogg has the benefit of being a free format

looking here, it seems that fl studio has some other options besides format and bit depth. i don't know what these are, but i'm sure there are some other resources online about these

i hope this helps!

By a lot, I think i understand the differences and stuff a bit more! Thanks man

Musician with a computer older than Julius Caesar and humor drier than desert sand on a sunny day.

BBS Signature

use 320kbps mp3 for quick file sharing & NG/soundcloud/etc., use 16bit @ 44.1KHz for distribution to streaming services or for burning CDs (lol), and use 24bit @ 48KHz for everything else hehe

dithering is important but only for your very final master export, and if you're exporting stems you don't want the dither on at all as you start accumulating dither noise once the tracks are put back together.

disable max poly removes the polyphony limit that you can set for each instrument channel in FL. you won't really need to select this option unless you're using the polyphony limit to lower CPU usage during playback

p.s. i am gay