00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

CleanCosmos just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

favorite artstyle types/designs/tropes?

521 Views | 18 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

my favorites are:

-the typical "emo artstyle"

-thick lines outside/thin lines inside similar to 2000s-style art (like @broskullemoji!)

-anime artstyles (mostly oldskool anime)

-surreal/abstract-style stuff like @dahshahrach00 's stuff

-more

whats ur favorite artstyle types,designs or tropes?

1:37 ───ㅇ─────3:45 ᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ : ▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯

↺ REPEAT ‖ PAUSE ≫ NEXT SONG

Former fan of the general forums. Artist, Twitter hater, loser, bad poet.

BBS Signature

Response to favorite artstyle types/designs/tropes? 2023-11-26 16:56:13

At 11/26/23 04:18 PM, JJBolton635 wrote:

1.cool!

2.i think that trope is cool. theta is cool.

3.junji ito is awesome.

4.i love those as well. also rip stephen hillenburg.

BBS Signature

Response to favorite artstyle types/designs/tropes? 2023-11-26 17:25:11

-Thick outline gang unite!

-Strong uses of shapes and blocky proportions on character designs (makes a good silhouette)

-Abstract patterns

-Interesting eye designs

-Few colours in a drawing (like 2-3)

-Anything 2000s or 60s inspired

Some examples of what I like below:

Wacky characters and groovy patterns

BBS Signature

Response to favorite artstyle types/designs/tropes? 2023-11-27 08:07:37

At 11/26/23 05:25 PM, MondoBilby wrote: -Thick outline gang unite!
-Strong uses of shapes and blocky proportions on character designs (makes a good silhouette)
-Abstract patterns
-Interesting eye designs
-Few colours in a drawing (like 2-3)
-Anything 2000s or 60s inspired

Some examples of what I like below:
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/funkyspacealien/space-gal
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/ozuzo/manzana
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/heelsforeels/impromptu

:) ;)

BBS Signature

Response to favorite artstyle types/designs/tropes? 2023-11-27 09:18:33

anything with cel shading, and y2k looking shit

iu_1121369_9258099.webp

I ATE EXPIRED BREAD AND PASSED OFF TEMPORARILY

MY LINKTREE YOU RETARDS

BBS Signature

Response to favorite artstyle types/designs/tropes? 2023-11-28 09:31:50

Thick arms

iu_1121836_11364755.png

(couldn't find a proper image, so I used my own art)

Goofy cartoon characters being in the same place with realistic human characters

iu_1121837_11364755.webp

AHHHHH!

BBS Signature

Response to favorite artstyle types/designs/tropes? 2023-11-28 09:46:16

Paintings that depict sunlight shining through an ocean wave. Done right it's one of my favourite painting tropes.

Response to favorite artstyle types/designs/tropes? 2023-11-28 09:56:13

Whatever f**** this guy does : https://www.artstation.com/cedricpeyravernay - I do not know to describe it even.

iu_1121848_16926282.webp

And another is that guys style : https://www.artstation.com/nicponim

iu_1121847_16926282.webp

Those 2 are like everything I love in art, there are wide range of styles I enjoy and like, but those 2 artists do styles and themes the way I enjoy the most.

If someone does anything in those 2 styles, I am instantly hooked.

If I'd nee to put in words - it is about colour themes, object and the unique ways to paint. There is particular way to show light and shadow, texture, object and so on. They indeed make dreams reality and reality into dreams.

Response to favorite artstyle types/designs/tropes? 2024-01-19 07:44:18

At 11/26/23 03:52 PM, KhaosKitsune617 wrote: my favorites are:

-the typical "emo artstyle"
-thick lines outside/thin lines inside similar to 2000s-style art (like @broskullemoji!)
-anime artstyles (mostly oldskool anime)
-surreal/abstract-style stuff like @dahshahrach00 's stuff
-more

whats ur favorite artstyle types,designs or tropes?

i like landscapes and trese book and furry art

wpzkx dubzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

BBS Signature

• Y2K style
  • Cartoonish style
  • Awesome style
  • Realistic style

Examples:

A member of Thumbnail Crew!, you should help as well!

AKA fe3l1ngsk1lled and Skilled!

BBS Signature

Response to favorite artstyle types/designs/tropes? 2024-01-19 08:37:17

Anything that gives me 2000s or Flash vibes.

Response to favorite artstyle types/designs/tropes? 2024-01-19 09:04:59

The ones with a billion lines, like Franklin Booth or Bernie Wrightson. I like how they feel.

At 11/28/23 09:56 AM, Tenebrare wrote: Whatever f**** this guy does : https://www.artstation.com/cedricpeyravernay - I do not know to describe it even.

And another is that guys style : https://www.artstation.com/nicponim

Those 2 are like everything I love in art, there are wide range of styles I enjoy and like, but those 2 artists do styles and themes the way I enjoy the most.

If someone does anything in those 2 styles, I am instantly hooked.

If I'd nee to put in words - it is about colour themes, object and the unique ways to paint. There is particular way to show light and shadow, texture, object and so on. They indeed make dreams reality and reality into dreams.

dude same here as well, Cedric and Piotr are madlads on their own

I have another favorite who you might like as well, Sergey Kolesov and he's also worked on Dishonored 2 like the others

Observing his work helped me so much to learn how to paint and handle rendering: https://www.artstation.com/peleng

He is so effective with a few well placed textured brush and shapes, the fact that it looks traditional I love it

iu_1149277_8632881.webp

Response to favorite artstyle types/designs/tropes? 2024-01-19 13:54:30

At 1/19/24 01:32 PM, lambino wrote: dude same here as well, Cedric and Piotr are madlads on their own

I have another favorite who you might like as well, Sergey Kolesov and he's also worked on Dishonored 2 like the others

Observing his work helped me so much to learn how to paint and handle rendering: https://www.artstation.com/peleng

He is so effective with a few well placed textured brush and shapes, the fact that it looks traditional I love it

The way those people just work with light and shapes. It is wild. I remember how DH related dev said how they were out there looking actual interesting artists and not gaming or concept artists. And indeed you are correct - the name you point out is equally interesting and eye-catching.

It is interesting to see how those artists use shapes and even simplest of 'doodles' become narratives worth of volumes. I often keep just looking at those guys works and just ... escape somewhere in my head.

Response to favorite artstyle types/designs/tropes? 2024-01-19 14:19:28

At 1/19/24 01:54 PM, Tenebrare wrote:
At 1/19/24 01:32 PM, lambino wrote: dude same here as well, Cedric and Piotr are madlads on their own

The way those people just work with light and shapes. It is wild. I remember how DH related dev said how they were out there looking actual interesting artists and not gaming or concept artists. And indeed you are correct - the name you point out is equally interesting and eye-catching.

It is interesting to see how those artists use shapes and even simplest of 'doodles' become narratives worth of volumes. I often keep just looking at those guys works and just ... escape somewhere in my head.

yes exactly, it's funny because they are not necessarily your ''typical'' concept artists a studio would hire but if we are talking about creative artistic games like Dishonored, Arkane did it smart to hire these artists because they have that artistic mentality and not just the ''industrial'' concept art one if you get me. It's like they design in an illustrator way, something like what u mentioned, their arts ''become narratives worth of volumes'' , very interesting. They can convey the humanity of these imaginary characters and places very well.

Response to favorite artstyle types/designs/tropes? 2024-01-19 16:48:48

• Thick outline, hell yeah!
  • Idk how to name it, but, using different colors to make the shading is cool
  • Expresivity and it's own style.
  • Anything with strong 90's or 2000 energy is cool

Idk what more to say lol-

Cool, wild and Groovy beat.

BBS Signature

Response to favorite artstyle types/designs/tropes? 2024-01-19 19:15:31

I love it when, despite moderate or heavy stylization, you can tell what a character or object would look like were it real. It tells us what's beneath the abstraction. It grounds the exaggerated premise to something tangible and helps sell the story as happening within a real world, if not our world.

A few examples of this would be...

-King of The Hill

-Tintin

-Most things in Ghibli films/series

-Hotline Miami

-Most things in Pixar's Up

-The Iron Giant

At 11/28/23 09:31 AM, SomeDoodles wrote:
Goofy cartoon characters being in the same place with realistic human characters

That’s like the drawn equivalent of Muppet movies and I love it.

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to favorite artstyle types/designs/tropes? 2024-01-23 01:50:19

I like cute stuff but not over-the-top saccharine kawaii. Just the right amount.

BBS Signature