00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

frankoftheweek just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is Character Design your passion?

799 Views | 35 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-24 16:09:16

Character Design is definitely my passion, I love creating stupid and silly cute girls most of time (sorry I don't like drawing men), to be honest I do not like making fanart content a lot, I mostly like redesign characters and to draw my ocs but it is necessary to get a boost at the start of an art account so fanart something you need to make sometimes, also because you love something and wanna make a thing to show how much you like it.

Been making so many redesigns of character and original designs of girls (you can check them on my art session), and seeing people liking some of them is a really nice feeling, my favorite oc (and also maybe the most liked by who knows me) is this girl

iu_1119512_9382035.webp

I made this in May and it's a really nice design that I liked making, the iconic thing on it is obviously that little eye-mouth fella. As the time passed I improved a bit and now she looks more like Urabe Mikoto with a stomach mouth creature lol.

I guess my main inspo for it was this character from a person called Ethos.

I also have other iconic characters such as my Newgrounds Girl

iu_1119513_9382035.webp

This is an old art, I gotta redraw this and post very very soon. I have no idea if I have any other inspo for her but a fun fact is that this design is a bit based on Tom's avatar because of the orange handless gloves. Recently discovered that there is another Newgrounds Girl, lol. I made a redesign which I cut her hair but I hated it, the ponytail version is better.

You can see more characters of mine here.

Honestly for me the best and most awesome thing on art is the power you have to create anything, and creating ficcional characters is such a thing that needs to get more attention everywhere, characters are like our children ^-^

What about you, is character design your passion? what is your favorite thing on characters design? what's your favorite(s) oc(s)? any inspirations? I wanna know and see them :)

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-24 16:14:35

I think Character Design is my passion as well, I mostly focus on drawing myself as an original character.

A member of Thumbnail Crew!, you should help as well!

AKA fe3l1ngsk1lled and Skilled!

BBS Signature

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-24 16:55:39

It is! I have a lot of fun incorporating different designs and thoughts into my characters.

A lot of my characters are based on songs.

iu_1119545_8775854.webpiu_1119546_8775854.webp

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-24 19:02:58

Yeah, just take one quick glance at my profile and it'll be pretty obvious that I love drawing characters. I don't find much enjoyment in drawing backgrounds (and I'm not the best at drawing them either). All my years of drawing were mostly spent creating characters.

My favourite part to draw on a character is the eyes, I love drawing weird eye shapes.

Wacky characters and groovy patterns

BBS Signature

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-24 19:14:59

I have some Percy Jackson OCs that I made when I was 14 and still love today. I'd say they could be considered character design. I mean, there's this picture of my OC as a cat so, we have that.

iu_1119618_8655364.jpg

And this little Chibi drawing of her and her friends. (This is a few months old so not very up to date with my current art but you know)

iu_1119619_8655364.jpg

Froggo is always watching.

I'm going to shit your pants

[Pronouns are they/them btw]

BBS Signature

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-24 19:32:07

Hell yeah character designing is my passion, i virtually create characters every day whenever i make art lol

My specialty has always been robots, and i take it with extreme pride.

I love taking whatever characters i currently know or even have known in the past and just mixing and matching what exists from either of them, whether itd be from something simple or something complex!

iu_1119634_16335784.webp

Creating entire characters based around simple concepts is also extremely challenging and cool too! Thinking about what can be original and what can be derived from other creations gets my mind going like crazy!

iu_1119635_16335784.webp

Drawing whatever Original Ideas i have on my mind! Most of the time, at least...

My Art Thread!

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-24 20:00:30

This is an oollldd not that good drawing of an OC I made but like, I really like character designs. I love making OCs for different Shows I love and it's really helped me figure out what I like in a character design, and what to create in the future.

iu_1119642_16855854.webp

Here's a newer design for a ONe Piece OC that I feel is better in certain ways than the last one.

iu_1119643_16855854.webp

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-24 20:54:47

I do believe I love designing characters, but i'm sure that if someone tasked me to do a pic of a character design with no further addition, I wouldn't be able to do it. I'm more leant to doing stories and adding context for a caracter, as simple as it can be

Being 100% alive means taking a 50% of actions and having a 50% of perspective

BBS Signature

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-24 23:57:39

Passion? No. It is least favorite part of my doings, but I'll do it, when needed. I like designing new clothes more than whole personas.

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-25 00:26:22

I like character designing so much that I've made over three hundred characters, now I design them sparingly so I don't end up with four hundred.

I make comics checkout my Shuttle Switcher comic series ! And Ghost Galaxy as well!

BBS Signature

Designing characters is one of the most enjoyable things about art for me, I predominantly draw men (lol)

since they're easier to design imo and I have a lot of OC's with lots of different colors and base ideas

I have tried objectheads, superheroes, post-apocalypse, aliens, ect.

Although i just don't get along with fantasy that much, they usually require more knowledge on how to draw clothing which i suck at.

This superhero character is my proudest design currently:

I really enjoy the cartoony look your character has btw, it's very nice!

BBS Signature

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-25 16:00:47

if i dont shit out an oc every few weeks or so i WILL blow up iu_1120238_13347282.webp

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-26 09:11:55

Hell yeah it one of my passions. I use a more "ceate somthing and finish it later" aproach beacouse i am lazy. I have probobly dtarted OC making a bit after i had a fakemon phase. I like to take inspirations from varius media for my designs bc i think there is no shame in doing that (as long you dont do a "original OC do not steel"). I reely love to chalange my creativity and create OCs. Usualy base them on characters from games and shows i am into. I dont reely have a unified theame of my OCs tho.

And beacouse why not here is some of my charachters im the most proud of.

My main oc and mascot Pip. She was made on the spot while i was a school. Just a silly little gamer bunny. Her main ispirations was just the consept is indie games. I was insanely (and still am) insanely into indie games and wanted to create van OC to represent it. She has became my my favourite OC i have created and probobly my best designed one.

iu_1120667_14510086.png

Another OC i created on the spot in school is Blomkatt. No seriusly it was hours between i created him and first submitted him to the OC-plaza. I had no idea what he was when i first created him and his design is admitebly a bit lazy. But beacouse how popular he was at the OC-plaza i choser to develop him. I took a lot of inspirations of Pokemon when actualy developing him beacouse it just fits. He is at least marketeble lol.

This ref is piss old btw.

iu_1120665_14510086.webp

And last why not show an OC i diddnt create on the spot, Bombeedier. She was created when i learned of the word "bombardier" and "grenadier" from Logstins fakemon video and relised "i want to create a bomb expert bug OC". And then i created Bombeedier. The general design smooothy came together without any chalange. The hardest part of creating her was giving her name. She went trough 4 name changes. And i stuck with a pun (deal with it). The only thing im not of of her is how hard it is to draw her. It is admittebly clutterd. Maby when i get better she will be easier to draw.

iu_1120666_14510086.webp

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-26 13:11:23

Could be. I've made some characters (mostly creatures) but for the most part I just draw other people's characters.

I've often wondered if headshots could be my passion.

It definitely is! I have this series going on of me drawing "Jerseygals", and each and every one of them is a new character design! I seriously love it, though I'm planning to train myself to draw characters more consistently in the future (as in like, draw the same character from different angles, give them actual stories, etc. instead of just pumping out new designs each time).

Check 'em out here! Though do be warned for pixelated gore and nudity, but nothing sexual (rated M):

Violent women aside, I also love designing cute ones! A character of mine, Mery, is a great example! Luckily these are actually SFW haha

iu_1121176_8442981.png

iu_1121177_8442981.png

What I love about character designing is that it keeps me from drawing the same sort of stuff every time.

It's why in my Jerseygal series, I always try to challenge myself by making each character have different proportions, head shapes, expressions, etc. Though for a fair amount of them, you can see that they have circular heads; I tend to do that since I find that head shape to be easy to work with haha. I try my best though! <3

Also, loving everyone's character designs here! What a lovely thread :DD <33

- wamy :3

BBS Signature

I love making ocs so much, so yes :]

I usually make an OC from existing franchise game, such as Pop'n Music, Dance Dance Revolution, Friday Night Funkin' and Just Dance.

Most of my ocs representing various nationalities.

I make many-many-many different kind of designs, including cute, spooky, cool and bizarre.

here r some my ocs

BBS Signature

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-27 08:06:51

At 11/24/23 04:09 PM, AbstractPurple wrote: Character Design is definitely my passion, I love creating stupid and silly cute girls most of time (sorry I don't like drawing men), to be honest I do not like making fanart content a lot, I mostly like redesign characters and to draw my ocs but it is necessary to get a boost at the start of an art account so fanart something you need to make sometimes, also because you love something and wanna make a thing to show how much you like it.

Been making so many redesigns of character and original designs of girls (you can check them on my art session), and seeing people liking some of them is a really nice feeling, my favorite oc (and also maybe the most liked by who knows me) is this girl

I made this in May and it's a really nice design that I liked making, the iconic thing on it is obviously that little eye-mouth fella. As the time passed I improved a bit and now she looks more like Urabe Mikoto with a stomach mouth creature lol.

This is an old art, I gotta redraw this and post very very soon. I have no idea if I have any other inspo for her but a fun fact is that this design is a bit based on Tom's avatar because of the orange handless gloves. Recently discovered that there is another Newgrounds Girl, lol. I made a redesign which I cut her hair but I hated it, the ponytail version is better.

Honestly for me the best and most awesome thing on art is the power you have to create anything, and creating ficcional characters is such a thing that needs to get more attention everywhere, characters are like our children ^-^

What about you, is character design your passion? what is your favorite thing on characters design? what's your favorite(s) oc(s)? any inspirations? I wanna know and see them :)

Yes

1:37 ───ㅇ─────3:45 ᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ : ▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯

↺ REPEAT ‖ PAUSE ≫ NEXT SONG

Former fan of the general forums. Artist, Twitter hater, loser, bad poet.

BBS Signature

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-27 09:29:28

obviously.

OBVIOUSLY.

iu_1121370_9258099.webp

iu_1121371_9258099.webp

I PRESENT YOU, MY CURRENT FURSONA AND FORMER SONA.

(i can do humans/humanoid but theyll always end up generic as fuck)

I ATE EXPIRED BREAD AND PASSED OFF TEMPORARILY

MY LINKTREE YOU RETARDS

BBS Signature

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-27 12:49:55

THIS IS SO MUCH LOL

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-28 06:19:51

Amazing characters

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-28 13:00:40

At 11/24/23 04:09 PM, AbstractPurple wrote: Character Design is definitely my passion, I love creating stupid and silly cute girls most of time (sorry I don't like drawing men), to be honest I do not like making fanart content a lot, I mostly like redesign characters and to draw my ocs but it is necessary to get a boost at the start of an art account so fanart something you need to make sometimes, also because you love something and wanna make a thing to show how much you like it.

Character Design is definitely my passion as well in fact I've been making free use characters over on itch!

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-28 13:12:49

I suck at making characters, especially humans. Most of 'my' characters are customised versions of already existing characters. I tend to not like the characters that I create, their designs are rarely good. & when I think about a good design I check online if it already exists... & it does...

I really admire people who manage to think of good designs for their OCs. It seems impossible to do for me.

I wanted to become a Vaporeon but I'm always dehydrated.

I post art there : Carrd

BBS Signature

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-28 13:37:34

i also enjoy character desinging. I always tend to build up ideas or have it randomly hit me in the head to try it out.

Sometimes when the flame is still ingnited i tend to do alot of "what ifs" and i end up making new characters

These 2 specific characters were my what ifs: iu_1121931_8595296.webp

Riley wasnt meant to be created. I intended to make a robotic alternate persona of me but it didnt work out so i randomly made a bunny out of boredom but i started to feel more invested into making more tweaks of her design and do her color palette. She ended up becoming my favorite ocs to draw all the time now.

iu_1121932_8595296.webp

Cassie was another "what if". I was brainstorming character ideas for my story and thought to myself "what if i gave a cat brass knuckles?" I wish i could show it but i got no supporter. I wanted to focus on her design because i didnt want it to be a waste and im glad i didnt scrap her. This design above is a redesign of the old version of her because i accidently draw her head differently and it looked better.

I would want to show one more who is another personal favorite but no supporter but she is fun to experiment with.

So yeah, character designing is so much fun especially when its also amongst friends.

BBS Signature

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-28 15:46:01

HOLY SH*T I LOVE THIS CHARACTERS, I GOTTA DRAW THIS

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-28 21:41:49

>Is Character Design your passion?

You could say

something along the lines

of that.

Thanks watermelon Toad Genie Daddy Big Boi 420 XXX Shasta Cola at Discount prices only at walgreens

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-29 12:22:25

Yeah probably. I'm not very GOOD at it but I find drawing and making characters far more enjoyable than doing say backgrounds for instance (as much as I need to get better at that).

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-29 16:39:01

As long as your interests lie beyond just whatever your favorite cartoons are, character design is piss-easy. All you need is a fresh pool of sources, interests and to just observe the world around you. You have that, you can bang out character after character without thinking twice about it lol.

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-29 19:07:40

All what it tooks to know that is this goofy ahh shark kid and this edgy lizard kid lmao

iu_1122662_8400058.png

iu_1122661_8400058.png

(H3H3H3HH3H3 kinda spoiler for the next chapter ;D)

But yeah, i really love doin' character design, specially if i can make a contrasts with their personality, really love making them expressive as much as possible and try to make them unique in personality and stuff, specially with these 2

iu_1122663_8400058.webp

iu_1122664_8400058.webp

They went by a lot of designs for finally come to this (specially Clover, she had like a 1200 designs to reach this final result lmao and yeah, they're old refs but too lazy to update them lmao)

iu_1122665_8400058.webp

And this was the initial design for Emily, fortunately she evolved in to a cooler design, simple but yet charming and every time i draw her i enjoy it lmao (btw the info of this is not canon anymore, change of concepts (?)

The goofy ahh penguin, creator of Deep Sea Prisoner! ;D

BBS Signature

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-29 19:09:14

my passion communication

Response to Is Character Design your passion? 2023-11-30 05:56:02

sometimes maybe

iu_1122862_6977923.webpiu_1122863_6977923.png